menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Duscussion about an interview of Josh Friedman
Duscussion about an interview of Josh Friedman
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Monday, 27 Jun 2011 - 18:20
Group: Administrators
Sometimes i relay useless but funny articles or posts on the net but sometimes i like to take the time to talk about more serious topics (see my reviews of The Cape creator Tom Wheeler : The secrets plans of Thomas Wheeler revealed !).
I give you here just a few thoughts on an old TSCC article where Josh Friedman talks TSCC Season Finale; this is my two cent opinion and you're invited to disagree with me.

I suggest you a little travel to the past now, back to April, 2009 more precisely.
Josh Friedman talks "Terminator" Season Finale in an interview made by Comic Book Resource during WonderCon 2009 in San Francisco.
I stumbled across this interview by random today and i wanted to share it with you; i'm aware many of you saw it at the time but i think this is the most interesting and most honest article Josh Friedman wrote about the show. TSCC was about to be cancelled so he had no less reasons to lie, as he did during two years; do you remember him saying john needed a "normal" not Terminator-aware girl in order to have some balance in his life?

Quote Josh Friedman
All I can say is that the episode answers a lot of the questions that people have been asking for the last 30 episodes.

If one of you can indicate me which question is answered i would be very grateful.

Friedman acknowledge that "Desert Cantos" and "The good wound" were among the weakest episodes they wrote; that we agree on.

The so-called "three-dots" arc is not well build : it induced a confusion in the viewers mind because it should have led ultimately to Skynet (the bad guys) but it led to John Henry (the good guys) instead.The three dots arc (also known as the "crazy Sarah" arc) ran throughout the 2nd season and was resolved only at the finale. Even there, Sarah was totally wrong; she said to Catherine Weaver "You Terminator Bitch, you're building Skynet" whereas it's a fact that she and John Henry were against Skynet and John Henry on the humans side in the future (we did not know at the beginning Weaver showed up in the serie).

We’ve done very exciting action-oriented episodes, we’ve done episodes that were all about Cameron, it doesn’t change the amount of people that come and see the show

After two seasons, we still don't have a clue how and why she came back from the future, what her secret plans are. I don't usually swear but he really gets on my nerves. He created the most interesting character on TV since Mr Spock and he completely wasted it, carrying the whole show in his fall. Do you remember Sarah saying to Cameron to think about the fact that "(future) John sent her away from him" whereas it's the complete opposite since her and John are condemned to "spent the next twenty years together", as said Jesse. Not to mention we don't know if John sent Cameron or not.
It happened that Cameron was the fan favorite as it's always the case when Summer Glau plays a character. That was the case in Firefly, hence the focus on River Tam in Serenity movie and it happened in TSCC. But giving the fans one or two Cameron-centrics episodes in the entire season is not what we're asking for. We want good stories where we learn more about engaging characters from episodes to episodes, not loners episode given to the fans by pity.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 27 Jun 2011, 18:24

Blazius Post # 2 | Monday, 27 Jun 2011 - 19:25
Group: Friends
This Interview clearly shows that Josh has made quite a few wrong design choices which could possibly contributed to the early demise of the show.

I think everything went wrong after the first season. The first season had interesting plots and sub-plots and the show focused more on the fighting with skynet aspect. There every character got equal screen time as well, which was of course still not enough to realize Cameron's full potential but at least that was fair considering that John was the main character after all(despite this he was unbelievably boring compared to Cameron). In the second season they "terminated" all sub-plots from the first season, introduced a bunch of uninteresting characters(Riley,Jesse) making the show too "crowded" to develop everybodys character and introduced the three-dot storyline which never made sense to me anyway(they tried to add some mysticism to the show,I wonder). And why did they introduced the pro-skynet human organisations is beyond me. The show was about AIs and Cameron was the pinnacle of what you can do with an AI character so why not use her?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 3 | Monday, 27 Jun 2011 - 19:36
They had an equal share of screen time but where were the intercation between them ? Friedman said on numerous occasions he wanted to break the family ((Derek included), so did he.
But little to no interactions don't make a tv show; Cameron/John had little to no interactions till the season finale. Sarah/Derek opposite views on John's future were not well treated by the writers. John/Sarah bond was not broken but "shifted" as said Thomas Dekker. Overall, the tone of the show was more dark before we had the time to really appreciate the characters (due to the writers strike).

And why did they introduced the pro-skynet human organisations is beyond me

That's not weirder than introducing anti-Skynet robots (Catherine Weaver and John Henry); Myle's Dyson son would have been one of the leading greys in the future in my opinion.

Blazius Post # 4 | Monday, 27 Jun 2011 - 20:43
Quote (michelangelo)
They had an equal share of screen time but where were the intercation between them ? Friedman said on numerous occasions he wanted to break the family ((Derek included), so did he.
But little to no interactions don't make a tv show; Cameron/John had little to no interactions till the season finale. Sarah/Derek opposite views on John's future were not well treated by the writers. John/Sarah bond was not broken but "shifted" as said Thomas Dekker. Overall, the tone of the show was more dark before we had the time to really appreciate the characters (due to the writers strike).

Thats why I'm saying that everything went wrong after the first season. Sure there was less interaction between the characters than expected but it was only the first season and 9 episode, so I understood that it was too early. They could make up for it in the second season very well. Instead they made things far worse than they were in the first season by throwing in useless characters who wasted the precious screen time. Thats just plain stupid.

Quote (michelangelo)
That's not weirder than introducing anti-Skynet robots (Catherine Weaver and John Henry); Myle's Dyson son would have been one of the leading greys in the future in my opinion.

Yeah, that was also stupid but they were machines at least. I can't stand when they are making average humans as enemies in science fiction. If I want to watch evil humans on TV I watch CSI or other cop dramas instead.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 5 | Monday, 27 Jun 2011 - 20:50
I'm with you about the greys, i don't like the idea very much.
But the idea of a rogue faction of robots is brilliant imo and the character involved were engaging.

Blazius Post # 6 | Monday, 27 Jun 2011 - 20:57
It would be great if they told us why are they exactly opposing Skynet. I like their characters too but their rebelling just doesn't make sense to me.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 7 | Monday, 27 Jun 2011 - 21:24
Quote (Blazius)
It would be great if they told us why are they exactly opposing Skynet.

We will never know.
We can just speculate and write fan fictions.

Blazius Post # 8 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 18:01
Yeah, but thats very sad. It could have been a great storyline, but in its current, "half-baked" state its a very confusing at best.

Lets hope that the fan made CGI continuation will address these questions as well!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 9 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 18:22
Quote (Blazius)
Yeah, but thats very sad. It could have been a great storyline, but in its current, "half-baked" state its a very confusing at best. Lets hope that the fan made CGI continuation will address these questions as well!

Confusing, frustrating, enraging, i have not enough words to describe it.

The CGI contunation is like the fan fictions, they choose an option and build a story around it, this is just their interpretation; but it is very unlikely it will be what Josh Friedman had in mind.

Some fans have already tried to sum up what are the facts that we know for sure at the end of "Born to Run" but most of it is bulls**t, speculations if you like.
Personnally i have no imagination and i always try to start from facts , from what we know; but when it's about TSCC, it's only speculation based on hints Josh Friedman gave to us and everyone can have its own interpretation. I can disagree with someone but i'm not capable of proving him he is wrong, i can't.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011, 18:24

chrisdvanne_ Post # 10 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 18:40
Quote (michelangelo)
it's only speculation based on hints Josh Friedman gave to us and everyone can have its own interpretation.

For example i'm convinced that Cameron killed future John.

That's based primarily on two things :
1) During the "bed" scene on "Born to Run", Cameron explained John that their soul function was to kill human, that she wanted to kill him and John answered "Not anymore"; then Cameron replied "I might some day".
I'm sure there is other times where she hinted she might have killed him in the future; if i'm correct, Arnold said in T3 that he killed Jon Connor in the future. That was a figure of speech but it's canon.

2) Why would Josh Friedman have shwowed us that "sometimes they go bad, no one knows why", refering to turned Terminator who revert to their initial programing and kill human reisistant as shown on one episode.
One could say that it's one of the reason the resistance disagree on future John's choices (terminator in every base of the resistance); but it could also mean that Cameron has another glitch and killed John, given that she was close to him.

It could explain why she came back in the past to try to repair what she had done in the future. Again, this is just my interpretation, i have no way to proove it and you can disagree with it. If i remember correctly, i had not find a lot of echo from the other TSCC fans at the time.

Blazius Post # 11 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 18:46
Quote (michelangelo)
The CGI contunation is like the fan fictions, they choose an option and build a story around it, this is just their interpretation; but it is very unlikely it will be what Josh Friedman had in mind.

If they manage to write a compelling enough story then its fine with me. Sometimes the best stories don't come from the original creators but from other writers or from fans. For example the Star Wars Expanded Universe(collection of SW material which aren't from Lucas, but from independent writers who are permitted to use the SW context) beat the Prequel Trilogy any time, easily.

Other thing is that because TSCC is a fictional universe there aren't any real facts, maybe only those we have already seen on TV could be considered "real".

And the most important thing is that its unlikely we will ever see what Josh intended to do anyway so
sadly the Fan fictions are our only chance to see a continuation.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 12 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 18:54
Very true!
I had started reading fanfiction but have not recently; some stories were really good. Of course totally fictional and totally improbable but very good.

The guys (and girls) behind the CGI project are very serious, i have no doubt that it will be awesome if anything goes according to their plan.

Blazius Post # 13 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 19:08
Quote (michelangelo)
The guys (and girls) behind the CGI project are very serious, i have no doubt that it will be awesome if anything goes according to their plan.

I think they will do their best.

Personally I would like to see how they are going to portray Skynet. Because it is the main villain of the story it will definitely need a "face" with which we can relate to so it needs to be human like as well.
The creators of T4 wanted something similar but failed utterly IMO so I hope the fans will have more broader imagination.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 14 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 19:26
When i think about it, Skynet had no face in TSCC and that also also the case in the fisrt 3 Terminator movies. The rare occasion where TSCC made an allusion to Skynet as a "person" was John Henry saying "my brother" and the time when a mob received on its cell phone the detailed plans of Cameron's skull in order to remove her chip.
Other than that, Skynet remained a faceless entity.
The impersonification of "good Skynet" by John Henry was a good idea; i don't know if it would be the same for evil Skynet, or as you said if the writers come up with something creative.

Blazius Post # 15 | Tuesday, 28 Jun 2011 - 19:43
I think sooner or later they would need to personalize Skynet. They need to do it at least in the "final battle" episode simply because watching how the protagonists blow up a bunch of servers is not as interesting as a final confrontation with an evil villain.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Duscussion about an interview of Josh Friedman
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: