menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Does Cameron loves children?
Does Cameron loves children?
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 - 16:12
Group: Administrators
I rewatched the last episodes of TSCC season 2 and something striked me : Cameron had no interaction with Savannah, not even a look.
That was justified when they were at Weaver's house because Cameron had to fight with the terminator while Sarah and John rescue Savannah. But not when they were at the hideout in town. Sarah also had little to no interaction with Savannah, the only one who took care of the little girl seem to be John himself.
More, John was the only one who've met Savannah before, at dr Shermann's office.
Given that nothing is done randomly on a scripted show, i wonder why the role are distributed this way, and if that could mean something in relation to the roles John Connor and Savannah will play in the future; i think this has been addressed in fanfiction where some writters made Savannah a general in John Connor's army.

First thing to think about.

Merely as an anecdote, the only times Cameron is having interactions with children (not featured too much on the serie anyway) that i can think of are :
* season 2 episode 5 "Goodbye to All That" when Cameron is rather rough with the little boy while Sarah has a motherly attitude (Lol at "Would you like a bedtime story?" though)
* season 2 episode 6 "The Tower Is Tall But the Fall Is Short" when Cameron and flexible terminator fight in the elevator, whitnessed by the little boy only.

Never in TSCC had the writers used the following gimmick : the monster (taken in the sense of someone different) meets with a children that, because of its supposely innocence, will not be afraid. Think to the frankenstein's creature meeting a little girl or one of the Transformers landing on earth on a pool and the little girl ask him if he is the fairy of the tooth (or something like that).

Or maybe it's just me talking nonsense...you tell me!

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 11 May 2011, 00:11

Granite Post # 2 | Tuesday, 10 May 2011 - 19:33
Group: Friends
Good question!

In this regard, I recall particularly feeling Cameron of 2.02 6:48-7:08 - where it touches the abdomen Casey - indifference and, perhaps, a misunderstanding of the situation. I think Cameron does not apply to children as something in the special - that is communicating with them, just as with adults smile

PS - Thus, the answer to this question is the same as this - " Does Cameron loves human ?" - lol biggrin

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Message edited by Granite - Wednesday, 11 May 2011, 00:08

chrisdvanne_ Post # 3 | Wednesday, 11 May 2011 - 00:27
Good call Granite! The scene when Cameron touches the pregnant neighbour's belly was rather disturbing; you could see that Cameron was trying to understand what humans can feel.

Does Cameron loves human ?

The answer is no!

On one side, "the sofware is designed to terminate humans, the hardware is designed to terminate humans" but on the other side, Cameron tries to understand them (saving the turtle for example) on numerous occasion and this was not required by the mission; " i don't know why i'm making conversation; i just feel i had to do it".

Blazius Post # 4 | Wednesday, 11 May 2011 - 01:01
I think the more important question is:Is she sentient at all? . Her program was designed to infiltrate and deceive humans by mimicking their behavior which she does pretty well. Improving her infiltration software is part of her programming, which may be the reason of her constant study. When she does something new it may be a result of a "patch" which includes new behavioral patterns.

I suppose when she touched the neighbours belly she tried to collect sensory data so she can later connect it with the appropriate behavior patterns so she can appear as somebody who feels something like a real human and she blends in more successfully. Even a 888 could play a human husband and Cameron is way more advanced.

So its not sure if she "loves" anything at all in my opinion.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 5 | Wednesday, 11 May 2011 - 01:27
Sharp analysis as always, Blazius : you'll get one reputation point.

Of course the title of the thread is oversimplifying things but i found it more fun than "Is Cameron sentient?"

Blazius Post # 6 | Wednesday, 11 May 2011 - 05:49
Thanks for the rep, I try my best! Interesting topic by the way and I agree about the title.

Another interesting thing is that Cameron shows sentient-like behavior almost exclusively around John. Cameron spent most of her existence around John so she supposedly collected more data about him and constructed more blending strategies for him than everyone else.Therefore her "how to behave around John" programs must be the most complex which allows her to show more complex behavior even emotion around him.It's possible that these programs became so complex that they compose a sentient entity but it's very hard to tell because of her near-perfect infiltration skills.

Maybe it sounds a bit akward but its possible that Cameron is only or more sentient when she is around John because thats the only time when the required programs are active at the same time. I think this could be a perfect in-universe explanation to the whole "Jameron " thing.

This would be more in line with the relatively realistic potrayal of the robots in the show. Even if Cameron was indeed sentient she would never be able to have romantic feelings towards John simply because she is not human. She does not reproduce sexually,so she lacks the required instincts as well.Her body also lacks the required parts to develop such emotions(like a hormonal system).The closest relation she can achieve with somebody is friendship at best.The same goes regarding children. She doesn't have the required instincts to maintain the human population by tending to the children let alone have mother instincts.She simply ignores them because they are not important.

For instance a human brain looks like this:

and Camerons brain looks like this:

The amazing thing about this show is that sometimes it showed more about human-ai relationships than an Asimov anthology.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Granite Post # 7 | Wednesday, 11 May 2011 - 08:52
With regard to infiltration, relationships with people and emotions -

- The program of infiltration - off (and it may itself Cameron turned on and off at will). For example, in 1.1 you can see the work of the program at full capacity - without dogs it was impossible to distinguish from ordinary people. But, after a mask has been reset, the program of infiltration has been turned off by it. Subsequently, the program included only a few times, which can be explained by not having to fulfill the mission of infiltration.
Example of short-term inclusion of infiltration

- 1.09 16:50 - Cameron and teacher
- 1.02 15:24 - Cameron and Enrico

Typically, infiltration Cameron has been disabled as unnecessary. IMHO, the program mask could be fully included or fully disabled - designed as a weapon, its effect is similar to the action of a gun - pulling the trigger - a shot. The owner of the gun can not adjust the flying speed, or rotational speed a bullet. And Cameron could not include infiltration partially - that is, its behavior, or fully human or fully machine

- Fairly complex artificial intelligence will, IMHO, is indistinguishable from a human, as well as the essence of the human mind is programmed - a large number of very complex "programs" - instincts, upbringing and autosuggestion. This issue hardware and software

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Message edited by Granite - Thursday, 12 May 2011, 00:06

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles » Does Cameron loves children?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: