menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
What's Up?
FordStaffDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:39 | Message # 46
Group: Friends
All true there is just not many actors on Summer's level. It is a damn travesty until she wins every single award for acting that she is eligible for.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:40

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 02:03 | Message # 47
Quote (FordStaff)
All true there is just not many actors on Summer's level. It is a damn travesty until she wins every single award for acting that she is eligible for.

That'd be the the least. Sometimes I get sick of the overhyped pretenders who they give all kinds of awards only because he/she got nice contacts. People seem to forget the meaning of the word "acting" and "actor" and what is their job.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 02:08 | Message # 48
It is angering, Summer has many things going against her in terms of winning awards or gaining wide spread recognition. It is not the acting quality that matters (for the most part) and this is obvious from the get go, but at certain points it is ridiculous. At least it is somewhat satisfying to know that she is a true artist, and as such likely cares little about such things as fame. There is no excuse for her skills to not receive official validation, not that it means anything, just out of principle.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 02:09

Charley_DixonDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 06:41 | Message # 49
Group: Administrators
Some interesting stuff worth mentioning but it does not worth creating a blog post.

1. If you think deleting cookies is always enough to hide your identity then you are wrong. Some sites may restore your cookies even if you deleted them. How can they do that? You may read details here: http://ashkansoltani.org/docs/respawn_redux.html (and there are lots of technical details in that text).

2. If you are concerned about your home network security you may read the NSA Best Practices recommendation. My favorite is this one:
... use NoScript (Firefox) or NotScript (Chrome) to prevent the execution of scripts from untrusted domains. Disabling scripting
can cause usability issues, but is an effective technique to reduce web bourne attacks.
If more people start using NoScript then probably less web programmers will blindly assume that all browsers support JavaScript which makes many websites simply unusable.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 23:50 | Message # 50
I'm in the process of migrating to Google Chrome since Firefox was really too slow for my taste.
Especially when i had several opened tab. I also had issues with playing videos online.

No problem with Chrome untill now; getting used with the look and feel will take some time.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 01:45

FordStaffDate: Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 01:25 | Message # 51
migrating to Google Chrome since Firefly was really too slow for my taste.

I think you mean firefox biggrin . Took a couple reads for me to understand. I use firefox and it seems to freeze up a lot when loading web pages did you have the same problem?

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 01:39 | Message # 52
I use Chrome and I absolutely love it! Easy to use user friendly interface, its very fast and cooperates with other Google services seamlessly.

BUT if you want to do some tinkering (like what Charley suggested) Firefox is way better. You can easily add several addons and custom scripts to it and its more stable while using them( Chrome crashed on me a few times when I tried something other than browsing). And I think there are more addons to Firefox than to Google. Firefox also has more editors to make further custom stuff yourself.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 01:44 | Message # 53
Quote (FordStaff)
I think you mean firefox biggrin

OOps, Freudian slip.

After a period of time, the memory used by Firefow becomes so important that i cannot surf anymore and it frezzes; i have to short-circuit Firefox and start over, leading to the losses of information sometimes. Also playing videos is sometimes problematic.

I used Firefox for its numerous add-ons and specific programs i use that only work within Firefox but now that i have found solutions to separate my activities, so that i don't need to surf with Firefox anymore.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 01:51

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 02:13 | Message # 54
Quote (michelangelo)
After a period of time, the memory used by Firefow becomes so important that i cannot surf anymore and it frezzes; i have to short-circuit Firefox and start over, leading to the losses of information sometimes. Also playing videos is sometimes problematic.

I never used it for too long periods so I don't know. I think thats what they call a "memory leak". It uses up more and more memory while running and eventually when it runs out of memory it freezes. It has to do with the program failing to reallocate the memory . Sounds like an amateurish mistake for browser programmers.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 08 Nov 2011, 17:27 | Message # 55
Can you guess before the final image what this French advertising is for?

Trivia : Dancer and choregraph Benjamin Millepied is also Natalie Portman's companion and father of their 5 months child. As you already guessed, they met while filming Black Swan.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 10 Nov 2011, 12:22 | Message # 56
When Stargate Universe came to an end this year, lot of fans were mourning the fact that there was no galatical battle serie in tv anymore; but a new hope has arisen since SyFy has announced in a press release three new drama series and one of them sounds like the renewal of the spaceship genre on US tv.

It's an untitled-yet project from Robert H. Wolfe (the man behind Star Trek : Deep Space Nine and Andromeda) :

Robert H. Wolfe -- Executive Producer/Writer

After decades of war, the newly formed Unity Democracy orders a volatile mix of humans and trans-humans to lead the Starship Defender on an expedition in search of lost worlds requiring law and order.

Source : SyFy press Release via Coming Soon

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 10 Nov 2011, 22:31 | Message # 57
lot of fans were mourning the fact that there was no galatical battle serie in tv anymore;

There does not necessarily have to be galactic battle in the spaceship genre. Firefly had no space ship fights at all (well one in the movie and even then Serenity just flies straight through it, unless you count running from a Reaver a galactic battle, then there is two biggrin ). I think the important thing is that there is a group of people with some sort of ship/space-station.

I have not watched much Star Trek, but I believe that Deep Space Nine is considered the strongest or at least a contender for that position. Hopefully the show will start out very strong and renew some interest in the Science Fiction genre in general and for spaceship based one specifically. Science Fiction needs a boost right now.

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 10 Nov 2011, 22:32

reiverDate: Thursday, 10 Nov 2011, 23:05 | Message # 58
Quote (FordStaff)
Science Fiction needs a boost right now.

absolutely.....i was bored with so many cop/drama series....!!!

i'm blind not deaf - IllidaN

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 10 Nov 2011, 23:14 | Message # 59
Quote (FordStaff)
There does not necessarily have to be galactic battle in the spaceship genre. Firefly had no space ship fights at all (well one in the movie and even then Serenity just flies straight through it, unless you count running from a Reaver a galactic battle, then there is two ). I think the important thing is that there is a group of people with some sort of ship/space-station.

No, but its certainly a huge bonus for me biggrin

Quote (FordStaff)
I have not watched much Star Trek, but I believe that Deep Space Nine is considered the strongest or at least a contender for that position. Hopefully the show will start out very strong and renew some interest in the Science Fiction genre in general and for spaceship based one specifically. Science Fiction needs a boost right now.

I saw every Star Trek and I think DS9 is the strongest without question and the galactic war certainly helped it to be the best IMO.

I think the space based shows have more potential to give that boost.

One reason that sci-fi has problems nowadays may be that people don't have the patience for something fantastical to happen or something exploration of the lore to occur. But in a space based show especially with aliens on a space station or on a starship you constantly see those things and constantly explore something and its overally better to keep up interest IMO. In an Earth based sci-fi show whole episodes can be spent with minimal fantastical elements.

FordStaffDate: Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 02:12 | Message # 60
No, but its certainly a huge bonus for me ... and the galactic war certainly helped it to be the best IMO.

I am not saying there should not be giant galactic space battles, just that we should not limit the space ship genre of science fiction to intergalactic political intrigue and combat only, that is far to limiting to creativity for my tastes. Firefly was very very good and their ship did not even have weapons at any point (except movie, but they only shot one ship, and even then only to piss it off).

One reason that sci-fi has problems nowadays may be that people don't have the patience for something fantastical to happen or something exploration of the lore to occur. But in a space based show especially with aliens on a space station or on a starship you constantly see those things and constantly explore something and its overally better to keep up interest IMO. In an Earth based sci-fi show whole episodes can be spent with minimal fantastical elements.

Well I believe earth based science fiction actually has far less problems not more. Sure in earth based the fantastical elements are not always thrown in your face every second of every episode, but they also are not nearly as hard to make, and more importantly I find it likely that people who venture out of mainstream genres into Science Fiction will start with Earth Based Science Fiction rather than the space operas. Earth based SF will be more relate-able for such people and also does not have nearly as high a nerd factor or stigma.

So for Science-Fiction fans what you say is true, but for the general populace such a statement will fall apart in general. Even mainstream shows that have very large fantastical elements are still earth based (LOST).

absolutely.....i was bored with so many cop/drama series....!!!

It seems as if there will never be enough of these shows for the populace, and I just do not understand it.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 11 Nov 2011, 02:16

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
Search: