menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
What's Up?
DevoDate: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 08:11 | Message # 31
Group: Friends
Quote (Fermi)
Quote (Devo)I am moving this month and am an impulse buy away from buying a M35A2 Deuce & a Half military transport to haul all my junk and tow my jeep cross country. I am chuckling just thinking about it. They can be had for $2500-$5500, and a moving truck rental would cost me $3000... so I am weighing my options lol. 7-10 miles per gallon and it will run on anything, diesel, gasoline, vegetable oil, moonshine... xD Here is a cherry one that sold for $5500 on ebay. M35A2 Auction And here is a picture of one that has been 'Bobbed'. Shortened and made into a 4x4 instead of a 6x6 drive. This is partly why I have been seldom seen lately. Go for it!!!

I almost went for it, I think I may still try to buy one though. But for the move I decided on a regular 1 ton. Less stressful for my cats on a 3000 mile trip. XD

But it runs on vegetable oil so it is still super cool! biggrin It could pay for itself in 1-3 years depending on how much I drive. cool

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 08:43 | Message # 32

So according to my above reasons I believe if anybody tries to replace Summer as Cameron would surely fail(or has a minimal, neglectable chance of success only) even more in my opinion than if somebody wanted to do T1-T3 reboots without Schwarzie.

Well, to be perfectly honest I do not care as much about T:TSCC as much as firefly (mainly because I have not seen it in a while or even seen all of it for that matter). So most of my comments about reboots were directed towards firefly I just mention T:TSCC as an after thought because it is the other show that Summer has a major role in -- not to mention the majority of the site members seem to be more into T:TSCC than firefly ( I feel bad for you guys at least the Browncoats got a movie, T:TSCC had no resolution at all sad )

I agree with you that a reboot for T:TSCC is a bad idea that should waste no thoughts, the absolute strongest part of the show was Summer's performance and the ambiguity of what would normally be a non-ambiguous terminator (Cameron) . It may as well become a law of nature that without Summer there is no T:TSCC which is sort of ironic, maybe they should rename the show The Summer Glau Chronicles.

And through I disagree that Fireflys cast was all that much better than TSCCs

I did not mean to say that per say. So when I say firefly has a better cast I mean more along the lines of how well he cast works together. In firefly we have 9 characters who are all at the very least decent (maybe not Inara though tongue YMMV) and can range to excellent. T:TSCC from what I remember did not have nearly that amount and is inferior just from the numbers when it comes to what they can do with the cast. Firefly has just so many more options for interactions among the cast and they often went very smoothly even with the odd pairings. I did not mean to say that the acting or characters of T:TSCC are inferior.

1) I have noticed that the posters don't comment much on the news page and prefer to post on the forum since there is almost always a dedicated thread; this is perfectly logical since the forum is best suited to start a discussion and post pics or videos, but it's interesting for the Wiki to have comments on the news page because it shows this page has activity and active members (remember the news page is often the entry page for casual visitors). A short comment, even if it repeats what you say on the forum, would be appreciated.

I did not realize that would help. I will make sure to do so.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 08:44

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 09:50 | Message # 33
Group: Administrators
Quote (FordStaff)
Well, to be perfectly honest I do not care as much about T:TSCC as much as firefly (mainly because I have not seen it in a while or even seen all of it for that matter).... not to mention the majority of the site members seem to be more into T:TSCC than firefly

Firefly is a masterpiece and the start of her career as a regular actor. It's important for the Wiki to be able to reflect Summer's work in its diversity, this is one more reason to enjoy you joined us biggrin

Also i observe that a passionate discussion has started in this thread whereas i had not foreseen it for this. There is already a thread dedicated to a similar topic : Do you think we will get a TSCC continuation?
I usually prefer to use the appropriate thread so that casual visitors or new members could search through the threads and be sure to find what they want. I would not advocate a move from the posts for now and let the Wiki members enjoy their discussion. I will watch if this thread does not cannibalize the already existing threads in the future though.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Fox012Date: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 10:10 | Message # 34
Group: Users
Well I´m also more into firefly then TSCC especially that TSCC now bears a Bitter smack for myself but thats a Different story Firefly is a Master piece and summer in her early years Fits for the role of the young Sister of Simon tam perfectly

also the other cast is perfect and i Like the strong hand of Malcom!

But TSCC is also Good in the way we know it but if i Had to Choose i Would Choose Firefly & Serenity before TSCC

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 10:40 | Message # 35
When I first watched firefly about a month or so ago I knew nothing about Summer Glau. I would never have guess that it was her first major role (and I believe second role period?), and the only thing that even makes it slightly believable is her young age at the time. Her firefly work is far more than just her first gig it was an amazing contribution to an already amazing show. It speaks volumes when her character becomes the second (or even maybe first) most focused upon character in "Serenity". To be fair the plot demanded it, but then again when they casted the show they would have known River's importance beforehand so surely they had much confidence in Summer's abilities.

What I am saying is that we should not look upon her River role primarily as her first role, because it stands so strongly without consideration or excuses for Summer's lack of experience.

I usually prefer to use the appropriate thread so that casual visitors or new members could search through the threads and be sure to find what they want.

Then you must not like me very much; I seem to be the local thread derailer who loves generating walls of text biggrin .

Well I´m also more into firefly then TSCC

Nice to know I am not alone. Perhaps someone should make a new thread that polls which of Summer's shows the forum goers prefer.

Message edited by FordStaff - Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 10:47

Fox012Date: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 14:14 | Message # 36
Group: Users
I Think this video fits greatly to a River / Summer Fan Vid even it comes from a different Movie (twilight)
I wish i had the Skills to do a Proper fan Vid / Tribute but I´m a Lousy editor

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

Message edited by Fox012 - Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 14:18

chrisdvanne_Date: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 16:39 | Message # 37
Group: Administrators
Quote (Fox012)
To be fair the plot demanded it, but then again when they casted the show they would have known River's importance beforehand so surely they had much confidence in Summer's abilities.

Kudos to Josh Whedon for having cast an unknow Summer Glau for the pivotal role of Firefly, as it should have been if the serie should not have ended and as proved by her weight in Serenity. But again Joss Whedon has proven he is not always following the rules.

Summer has confirmed in numerous interviews her lack of experience in regard to the behaviour on set like the weight of the lights, the rehersal,...and that she has learned a lot since Firefly. But her instinct as an actress is so good that it doesn't show on screen.

Quote (FordStaff)
Then you must not like me very much; I seem to be the local thread derailer who loves generating walls of text biggrin .

You're my pet peeve indeed wink

Quote (FordStaff)
Perhaps someone should make a new thread that polls which of Summer's shows the forum goers prefer.

No need to do that. Various internal polls showed clearly that Wiki members prefer TSCC (even if the question was not asked directly) and the same can be concluded from various threads like Please introduce yourself.

"Who Was Your Favorite Summer Glau Character?"

Cameron Phillips 111 votes 66%
River Tam 39 votes 23%
Bennett Halverson 6 votes 3%
Tess Doerner 3 votes 1%
Crystal Burns 1 votes 0%
Allison Young 6 votes 3%

Who would win the death match?

1. Cameron Phillips 70 77%
2. River Tam 20 22%

When did you first become a fan of Summer Glaus work?
1. 2002 [ 1 ] [4.17%]
2. 2003 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
3. 2004 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
4. 2005 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
5. 2006 [ 0 ] [0.00%]
6. 2007 [ 3 ] [12.50%]
7. 2008 [ 8 ] [33.33%]
8. 2009 [ 6 ] [25.00%]
9. 2010 [ 3 ] [12.50%]
10. 2011 [ 3 ] [12.50%]

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

FordStaffDate: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 20:58 | Message # 38
Who would win the death match?

1. Cameron Phillips 70 77%
2. River Tam 20 22%

I am a River fan and I voted for Cameron. It just simply does not make sense for River to win that fight. I suppose if her mental reading skills also applied to robots she may have a chance. All River's other skills except for hyper intelligence are matched and far exceeded by a terminator without the mind reading.

Didn't they say that Cameron was designed to be more human in her thinking than any of the other terminators during the series? If that is true it might be reasonable to believe River could read Cameron to an extent. Even if true River is not exactly consistent and will likely lose anyways.

Kudos to Josh Whedon for having cast an unknow Summer Glau for the pivotal role of Firefly, as it should have been if the serie should not have ended and as proved by her weight in Serenity. But again Joss Whedon has proven he is not always following the rules.

It does not make sense to me for them to have cast a very inexperienced actor for the most pivotal role of a series. Clearly Joss Whedon must be a very good judge of talent to have made such a choice. I can think of no other examples of such a thing.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 00:31 | Message # 39
Quote (michelangelo)
Summer has confirmed in numerous interviews her lack of experience in regard to the behaviour on set like the weight of the lights, the rehersal,...and that she has learned a lot since Firefly. But her instinct as an actress is so good that it doesn't show on screen.

I suspect that partly the reason why she is so good is that she didn't prepare that much to be an actress. Sometimes schools are just preventing true talent to surface. Especially with acting its far better if it comes naturally than taught especially with an extraordinary talent as Summer. And I suspect her ballet knowledge made her a far better actress than anybody else.

Quote (FordStaff)
Well, to be perfectly honest I do not care as much about T:TSCC as much as firefly (mainly because I have not seen it in a while or even seen all of it for that matter). So most of my comments about reboots were directed towards firefly I just mention T:TSCC as an after thought because it is the other show that Summer has a major role in -- not to mention the majority of the site members seem to be more into T:TSCC than firefly ( I feel bad for you guys at least the Browncoats got a movie, T:TSCC had no resolution at all )

I have a bit different approach through. I see both TSCC and Firefly more like "Summer Glau shows" so in the end I never compare which one is better. Summer worked very hard in both of them and she showed a different aspect of her proficiency in both. If I say I prefer TSCC to Firefly it'd only apply if Summer weren't in them like when we now discussed the reboots.

But she was in both and she made both perfect. Same with any other thing she was in. Even if one show is weaker I like Summer enough that her playing in the show makes the show as fun as the others, she is alone fun enough to watch. So if somebody would ask me if I'm a Browncoat or Resistance I'd say i'm a Summerist. I recommend anyone through if you like Summer and her acting don't hesitate to search for her other maybe less known roles either. With Summer they each provide great fun and you'll get an even more complete picture about how awesome she is.

Quote (FordStaff)
Didn't they say that Cameron was designed to be more human in her thinking than any of the other terminators during the series? If that is true it might be reasonable to believe River could read Cameron to an extent. Even if true River is not exactly consistent and will likely lose anyways.

I don't think she could ever read a terminator. She seems to be only sensitive to organics and she can't do anything with machines as it seems.

And even if she could interface with Cameron somehow she'd be completely alien compared to a human. She does not think like a human at all and she also remembers things differently.

John and Cameron when John tries to extract memories from Vick's chip( from the TSCC episode also titled Vick's chip):

"John Connor: Wow, what a mess. How the hell do you keep your brain organized?
Cameron: Not like yours.
John Connor: No kidding."

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaffDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 00:42 | Message # 40
And even if she could interface with Cameron somehow she'd be completely alien compared to a human. She does not think like a human at all and she also remembers things differently.

John and Cameron when John tries to extract memories from Vick's chip( from the TSCC episode also titled Vick's chip):

"John Connor: Wow, what a mess. How the hell do you keep your brain organized?
Cameron: Not like yours.
John Connor: No kidding."

That is why I voted for Cameron. Even If River could read Cameron it would likely be a disadvantage more than an advantage. Sorry to say it, but if Cameron wanted River dead when they are nearby each other it is going to happen. In a death match River would have to be like batman in the typical batman vs whoever (like superman) argument. In that batman could always win if he knew ahead of time what was coming because he was far smarter than anyone else, but if not... well there will be quite a mess to clean up sad .

So if somebody would ask me if I'm a Browncoat or Resistance I'd say i'm a Summerist.

They are not mutually exclusive. I would say I am all of those, just to varying degrees with Summer first, then firefly, then T:TSCC.

I suspect that partly the reason why she is so good is that she didn't prepare that much to be an actress. Sometimes schools are just preventing true talent to surface. Especially with acting its far better if it comes naturally than taught especially with an extraordinary talent as Summer. And I suspect her ballet knowledge made her a far better actress than anybody else.

The simple explanation that I believe to be true is that she just had large amounts of talent for acting. I doubt ballet made her a better actress in particular, but certainly it helped her performance skills.

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 00:47

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 00:51 | Message # 41
Quote (FordStaff)
That is why I voted for Cameron. Even If River could read Cameron it would likely be a disadvantage more than an advantage. Sorry to say it, but if Cameron wanted River dead when they are nearby each other it is going to happen. In a death match River would have to be like batman in the typical batman vs whoever (like superman) argument. In that batman could always win if he knew ahead of time what was coming because he was far smarter than anyone else, but if not... well there will be quite a mess to clean up.

Funny but I voted for River in the end BTW. Of course if they engage in a face to face melee or gunfight Cameron would make an organic mess out of poor River. But if River has time to plan something its a different story. Cameron has still a bit of limited and straightforward strategy using almost only brute force. River with her extraordinary intelligence would be more than able to outhink Cameron or set some kind of trap and Cameron would probably lose then. It really depends on the situation and the environment.

Quote (FordStaff)
The simple explanation that I believe to be true is that she just had large amounts of talent for acting. I doubt ballet made her a better actress in particular, but certainly it helped her performance skills.

I'm not a ballet expert so I don't know. I always wondered through if her ability to control her body so perfectly and to show emotions so strongly and on different levels using only her body language is something a ballet dancer would know since I think to a degree ballet is also about expressing emotions without words.

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 00:56

FordStaffDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:05 | Message # 42
It really depends on the situation and the environment.

That seems to be what versus arguments always come down to in the end, particularly in cases of straight forward brute force versus intricate mental skills, and Cameron and River could be a classic case for that. Essentially Superman versus Batman. Funny we both voted against our preferred characters.

and to show emotions so strongly and on different levels using only her body language is something a ballet dancer would know since I think to a degree ballet is also about expressing emotions without words.

Emotional expression is Summer's strongest acting skill so what you say makes sense. But it is more than just ballet, she needs far more skill with facial expressions for acting than ballet. I know nothing of ballet either though, but from what I have seen the emotion is not primarily in the face in ballet, whereas in acting it is. Either way she must have had some talent for acting to begin with, her ballet experience would not have carried her alone as River (well at least as well as she portrayed River that is).

Message edited by FordStaff - Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:10

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:14 | Message # 43
Quote (FordStaff)
Emotional expression is Summer's strongest acting skill so what you say makes sense. But it is more than just ballet, she needs far more skill will facial expressions for acting than ballet. I know nothing of ballet either though, but from what I have seen the emotion is not primarily in the face in ballet, whereas in acting it is. Either way she must have had some talent for acting to begin with, her ballet experience would not have carried her alone as River (well at least as well as she portrayed River that is).

Yes, ballet may not be the only reason she is so good, this must be in her blood. Its incredible because its very rare that somebody has so much innate ability to act as well as Summer.

BTW if you watch more and more of her acting I believe it becomes apparent that she strongly utilizes the movement and stance of her body, just as well as her facial expressions. Its more apparent with Cameron and Skyler but its always there in her other roles as well.

Message edited by Blazius - Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:15

FordStaffDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:23 | Message # 44
BTW if you watch more and more of her acting I believe it becomes apparent that she strongly utilizes the movement and stance of her body, just as well as her facial expressions. Its more apparent with Cameron and Skyler but its always there in her other roles as well.

That is why she is an amazing actor. I do not even notice such things until re-watch and pay close attention. The fact she can utilize her non verbal communication so seamlessly that it just becomes natural is absolutely amazing and is something most actors lack. Her facial skills are just far more obvious for reasons that are also obvious.

BlaziusDate: Monday, 07 Nov 2011, 01:34 | Message # 45
Quote (FordStaff)
That is why she is an amazing actor. I do not even notice such things until re-watch and pay close attention. The fact she can utilize her non verbal communication so seamlessly that it just becomes natural is absolutely amazing and is something most actors lack. Her facial skills are just far more obvious for reasons that are also obvious.

Of course thats why she is! Most actors even most high-profile ones can't do it at all. And even if some of them bothers its not subtle at all and very unnatural. The way Summer does it isn't even notable as you said only after multiple watches. The thing is that human communication is still very dependent on non-verbal elements. You and I or every human uses it extensively. But it only has effect if its looking natural enough for your subconscious to registrate the sings.

But if the actor is highly skilled( like Summer) she can emulate these movements effectively and can send a very strong massage about the emotional state( and other things) of the played character to the audience.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
Search: