menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
What's Up?
Fox012Date: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 10:19 | Message # 16
Group: Administrators
Quote (FordStaff)
How could you articulate such blasphemy . We must hold on to hope no matter how illogical. They will rise again it must be true.

I´m Sorry but For Firefly the story is done we got a movie and thats IT! for TSCC The Hope Grows Colder Day by day and we have To face the Truth someday...

and the Answers in my Head are only Fan Fiction... biggrin

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

reiverDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 12:58 | Message # 17
Group: Friends
Quote (Fox012)
for TSCC The Hope Grows Colder Day by day and we have To face the Truth someday...

agree to that....too many years have passed.....there's no signs of continuation unfortunately..

ANYWAY GOOD MORNING TO ALL!!!

i'm blind not deaf - IllidaN

ChrisDate: Thursday, 03 Nov 2011, 13:07 | Message # 18
Good morning Reiver, who knows what will happen with TSCC hope isnt dead yet after all with the likely creation of another set of Terminator movies it could spark interest again particuarly if they utilise characters from TSCC in the movie well just placing Cameron in and obviously John Connor in the movie would work perhaps explaining why Cameron was sent back to 1999, but its only a dream that the movie will take that path but either way it gets the Terminator name in the public eye.

FordStaffDate: Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 01:49 | Message # 19

I´m Sorry but For Firefly the story is done we got a movie and thats IT! for TSCC The Hope Grows Colder Day by day and we have To face the Truth someday...

I was not completely serious of course. It should be noted that there can still be things to hope for even if continuation or movies are out of the question. An increasing fan base and recognition of the shows, the characters, and the actors are such things that are entirely within reason to hope for.

There is always the chance someone will attempt a reboot/revival/retool/re-imagination (whatever you want to call it) in the distant future. Such things are risky business, especially since firefly has an extremely strong ensemble cast (and for the T:TSCC I could not imagine any one who could so convincingly play a robot as Summer Glau did). I would take the risks associated with such a thing over nothing however, even if the new version would always feel as if they were missing something (like Summer Glau for one). I am sure Summer would get some sort of small role (or at the very least a cameo) in a rebooted firefly. Perhaps a occasionally recurring villain type character, that would be pretty awesome.

T:TSCC and Firefly being cult shows likely do not have fan-bases who would be friendly to any reboots, but personally I would be willing to let them have a chance even if likely not to live up to the predecessor ( which would not be entirely because of nostalgia either biggrin ).

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 01:55

Fox012Date: Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 09:13 | Message # 20
I Agree with your In Full Fordstaff

I would Give it a Try Too even w/o Summer but not for the nostalgia more for a Closure

Firefly Got a Closure Movie too and it was OK IMHO

No Doubt That TSCC and Firefly are Cult shows cool

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

FordStaffDate: Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 09:36 | Message # 21
Firefly Got a Closure Movie too and it was OK IMHO

IMHO considering the circumstances the big damn movie was about as good a closure that was gonna be possible. Even not considering the circumstances the movie is really quite good (even possibly damn good) in its own right.

I would Give it a Try Too even w/o Summer but not for the nostalgia more for a Closure

That would be an excellent thing about a reboot of either show. T:TSCC obviously had much to offer without an actual closer and firefly had such little screen time that the closure left many things open for exploration.

With the nostalgia comment what I was trying to say but perhaps did not articulate well is -- Fans from the original show when watching a reboot can have difficulty accepting the new one due to nostalgia. With firefly (and I assume T:TSCC) the nostalgia will not be the only problem because the show was just so well done that it does not need nostalgia to pump its perceived quality, so a reboot will need high quality to compare to the original even with even handed standards.

Presumably if a reboot of either show is to be done it will be in Summer's lifetime, and I think that Summer would be one of the originals in high priority for at least some participation in the reboots. Obviously not as a main role of course, unless it is a new character not from the original, as it just seems like a terrible, terrible, terrible idea to have a reboot casting an original actor in one of the original roles (not that there is many options in the rest of the crew or villains for Summer anyways, I doubt she would want to be a space whore -- she imitated badger pretty well maybe the character could get a sex lift in the reboot and that could be Summer's role biggrin ) . Even just a cameo, minor role, recurring villain, hell anything that works. I doubt Summer would decline, unless she had to.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 09:53

ChrisDate: Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 15:18 | Message # 22
Nah not a reboot of TSCC just pick the show up again using as much of the original cast as possible it would definately have to have the majority of the key actors to make it work specifically Lena Headey Thomas Dekker Brian Austin Green and the one and only Summer Glau most of the other actors could be swapped with close matches although I thnk they would struggle to replace Garretn Dillah Hunt.

Seeing a second movie of Serenity would be great follow on linking the characters in 10 years later etc so we can see what happens to all the characters does River pass as a normal girl that tears your heart out if you betray her or does she learn to deal with what they did to her completely and be able to live a normal life learning to control her mind reading powers or become some crazed killer that cant be controlled, does Simon and Kaylee make it work along with Mal and Inara, does Jayne keep being the gun toting mercenary or choose something more laid back and what happens to Zoe after Wash died

FordStaffDate: Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 20:01 | Message # 23
Nah not a reboot of TSCC just pick the show up again using as much of the original cast

T:TSCC is not exactly the ideal show for a reboot, but I did mean in the distant future cause obviously it is way too soon, but surely a reboot is better than nothing (even if it only has slim chances of living up - still a chance, why not take it). I am fairly certain the show is not going to be picked up again, but hey you can hope cause I still hope somehow by divine intervention firefly will get picked up (which is even far more unlikely than the unlikely scenario of T:TSCC getting picked up again).

The problem with casting for a reboot is going to be ever present if the original show is any good at all at least. That is why you change things up so it is not exactly the same characters and different actors will not be as much of a problem (trying to exactly imitate the original is a horrible idea -- just watch "The Office" season 1 American for proof, it only got good when they differentiated from the British version)

Seeing a second movie of Serenity would be great follow on linking the characters in 10 years later

Very unlikely particularly if its plot would be what you describe - a follow up to pick up the pieces the characters are left in after Serenity's conclusion. Perhaps a mini-series or straight to DVD movie or something similar would work for such a thing, although still unlikely to happen.

does River pass as a normal girl

be able to live a normal life

Considering firefly is a Joss Whedon creation I find that unlikely. After all the series mentions multiple times the fact that she will never be normal as it is quite impossible, and that seems quite reasonable when: her brain was cut up, she was tortured for three years during adolescence, holds horrible secrets - this one was resolved though, she was trained to be a weapon when clearly is not the killing type in personality, she can read the minds of anyone she comes in contact with (just imagine the trauma if she ever reunites with her parents and she reads their guilt and regret every time they see her, also the fact that they at the very least abandoned her when Simon would not (with heavy suggestion that Simon was the favorite child with River merely sidelined even when she was in their custody, despite the fact that she is one of if not the most intelligent people ever to exist), or even possibly that her parents were involved more directly with the Academy situation --- surely Simon would insure River never meets their parents again for these reasons alone if he has any forethought).

All that does not even include what is bound to happen in the future adventures of Serenity. Two people already died that River will have at least some affection for considering they continually were two who stuck up for her and Simon. The wound rate of Serenity's crew is quite high and she will participate far more in operations after the movie so it seems very likely she will be wounded at some time or another. Others could die possibly even Simon, and the consequences for River of that would be too horrible to even state. Joss Whedon claimed he was going to take the crew to the darkest places of the universe had the series continued, cause apparently cold blooded torture, creepy rapist bounty hunters, and witch burning were not dark enough. Bottom line River will live one of the most traumatic lives imaginable even by fictional standards (that are at least seemingly realistic in their anguish).

Honestly if she became completely normal I would call bullshit, there is no way that such a person could ever ever be normal. They would be lucky to even be able to function in normal society at all. This is not to say she could not get better or even be able to imitate being normal, that seems barely reasonable, but such extreme circumstances do not just get resolved from revealing a dark secret (the suggestion of this by the movie is one of the things I found ridiculous, luckily it was a very slight suggestion and can be interpreted to suggest she merely becomes somewhat less insane).

River is my favorite character of the show and I would wish for her to get to be normal, but it simply would not happen. She could still potentially get a somewhat happy ending, but perfect sanity or just plain good mental health for that matter will not be a part of the picture. Well it could as firefly is fiction, it would just make absolutely no sense even with Deus ex Machina medical pills or surgery.

Sorry about the wall of text, it just bothers me when people suggest River could be normal. Having recently seen the show and movie I do not see how anyone could reasonably believe such a thing, but I certainly see why people want to believe it could happen.

Message edited by FordStaff - Friday, 04 Nov 2011, 22:50

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 01:03 | Message # 24
I agree that the cancellation of TSCC is far more painful than Firefly in that sense that Firefly at least got Serenity.

Personally I see little chance that either shows will get picked up again and continued especially with the original actors.

Without Summer I wouldn't watch any reboots BTW. It was Summer who made those shows as good as they are in my eyes and its Summer who made Cameron and River so perfect characters. Anybody who'd try would surely fail and I wouldn't like to watch a flawed version of the shows to be constantly reminded how good was the original.

That said my top priority is to see Summer in a quality, long living, successful show where she is used to her full potential. Any other thing is secondary to me even the resurrection of TSCC or Firefly. Of course if said show happens to be either TSCC or Firefly then its even better(my preference would be TSCC BTW,thats where I found Summer after all) but not mandatory.

Quote (Fox012)
Well some of us Did grow up with Startrek well I Like TNG more Then TOS (Kirk is great but Picard is better ) but the movies are Also Good

I prefer SGA before SG1

I agree that TNG was better than TOS. Maybe TOS is starting to show its age now and I think that TNG had more things to say than its predecessor.

Regarding SG its the reverse for me. I think the underwhelming ending and somewhat weaker last season spoiled SGA for me plus the Wraiths weren't near as good as the Goa'uld or the Ori.

While Sg1 had abysmal seasons and episodes too it was overally better I think and the last too seasons concluding in Ark of Truth were fantastic (and a proof that Morena Baccarin isn't necessarily that underwhelming as she was in Firefly)

On the other hand I'd switch Carter for Rodney on any day, Rodney was funny at least, but Carter was very annoying IMO.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 01:46

DevoDate: Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 01:26 | Message # 25
I am moving this month and am an impulse buy away from buying a M35A2 Deuce & a Half military transport to haul all my junk and tow my jeep cross country. I am chuckling just thinking about it.

They can be had for $2500-$5500, and a moving truck rental would cost me $3000... so I am weighing my options lol. 7-10 miles per gallon and it will run on anything, diesel, gasoline, vegetable oil, moonshine... xD

Here is a cherry one that sold for $5500 on ebay. M35A2 Auction

And here is a picture of one that has been 'Bobbed'. Shortened and made into a 4x4 instead of a 6x6 drive. biggrin

This is partly why I have been seldom seen lately. senile

FermiDate: Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 04:51 | Message # 26
Quote (Devo)
I am moving this month and am an impulse buy away from buying a M35A2 Deuce & a Half military transport to haul all my junk and tow my jeep cross country. I am chuckling just thinking about it. They can be had for $2500-$5500, and a moving truck rental would cost me $3000... so I am weighing my options lol. 7-10 miles per gallon and it will run on anything, diesel, gasoline, vegetable oil, moonshine... xD Here is a cherry one that sold for $5500 on ebay. M35A2 Auction And here is a picture of one that has been 'Bobbed'. Shortened and made into a 4x4 instead of a 6x6 drive. This is partly why I have been seldom seen lately.

Go for it!!!

You can't stop the signal!

FordStaffDate: Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 06:56 | Message # 27
Anybody who'd try would surely fail and I wouldn't like to watch a flawed version of the shows to be constantly reminded how good was the original.

There is always a chance for success and we as an audience lose nothing for taking a risk, it is not as if a reboot can seep into our DVD collections and ruin the originals forever.

Without Summer I wouldn't watch any reboots BTW. It was Summer who made those shows as good as they are in my eyes and its Summer who made Cameron and River so perfect characters.

While both shows benefited greatly from Summer's performances both had many other things going for them (although IMHO T:TSCC benefited far greater because firefly's ensemble cast seemed stronger and more encompassing to me). Had firefly gone on longer with River gaining greater focus such as in "Objects in Space" my opinion would easily be swayed the other direction however.

Summer most certainly could not be River if a reboot of firefly happens her face has matured too much. It seems a bad idea to mix and match new and original actors in a reboot, unless the originals get new roles only present in the reboots. It would just be too odd and surreal.

Imagine for example the new Mal (Jason Bateman - to get out of traffic tickets wink ) lecturing River (still Summer Glau) about the finer subtleties of gun safety while the new Inara (Natalie Portman ? she is a well dressed ambassador in the star wars prequels) stands nearby with seemingly the only purpose of inhibiting Mal's jerk ass tendencies, if of course she is not too busy wallowing in frustration of her eternal unresolved sexual tension. River's only response to the presumably inspirational diatribe Mal could muster is a very reassuring "pop goes the weasel" and she's off to unknown destinations as it suits her. Inara refrains Mal's pursuit for a one on one conversation.

Meanwhile in sick bay Jayne (still Adam Baldwin) laughs maniacally (you could even say his is an evil laugh) as new Simon ( Neal Patrick Harris - I for one am glad that this did not come to be in the original ) finishes his final touches on the newly splayed bullet wound to Wash's (still Alan Tudyk) inner thigh. New Book (Morgan Freeman -- or if you have an imagination a 50-60 year old Donald Glover) can only read the good book with a look of disgust motioning his discontent to Zoe (still Gina Torres) who responds to Jayne's laughter at the pain of her husband with a swift groin attack to Jayne's totally existent man parts.

In the hanger Kaylee (still Jewel Staite) is taking stock of supplies when she approaches a crate oozing of conspicuousness. New Jubal Early ( Laurence Fishburne ) knowing something just aint right, launches out of the crate of conspicuousness and feels an almost magnetic force tugging his gun towards Kaylee, the likes of which many before and after shall encounter. A hostage, not part of the plan, but plans don't often go smooth in this verse.

If that glimpse of a re-imagination of "Objects in Space" with the schizoid mix of old to new cast does not mess with your head then I do not know what will. If some original cast is displaced of their original roles, none should get in the original roles for the sake of fans of the original works sanity. Take all or leave all situation (only talking about main roles present in the original), but I suppose opinions could vary.

Clearly no one will be able to portray River as well as Summer Glau (the same could be said for the majority of the other actors/characters), but that is why a reboot ought to differentiate themselves from the original so that the new actors are not just trying to imitate the old actors. That would end horribly wrong no matter the circumstances.

Message edited by FordStaff - Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 08:32

reiverDate: Saturday, 05 Nov 2011, 15:07 | Message # 28
Greetings to all!!!!! have a nice day smile

i'm blind not deaf - IllidaN

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 02:30 | Message # 29
Repost from another thread :

The last few days, i've been thinking about the best way to help the Summer Glau Wiki and in which form. I'm persuaded that this site is the best fansite out there for Summer Glau fans, through its content and the contribution of the members.

Since there is more posters on the forum, i don't need anymore to post at all cost in order to add content to the threads. I will continue to create threads to stimulate the interest of the active members and the visitors, through articles coming from all over the net or through unique content like 10 Ballerina turned actresses.
I have no other legitimity to do this than a strong motivation and the thrust you and the admins are ready to place in me.

I have started to provide the wiki HQ scans from articles about Summer Glau released in magazines (see Scans section of the gallery or the Esquire scans) so that the Summer glau Wiki has the best ones on the net.

I have an ambitious project for all TSCC fans (and Firefly fans in the future why not); it's at a very early stage (basically only in my mind) and it does not rely on me exclusively so that i cannot garantee its feasability; i will give you more info about it as soon as i progress.

I'm persuaded that making the Summer Glau Wiki grow is the only way to insure it will be able to carry durably projects like the Viewers Club or the Summer Glau Wiki Calendar.

There are easy ways for everyone to help in that regard :
1) I have noticed that the posters don't comment much on the news page and prefer to post on the forum since there is almost always a dedicated thread; this is perfectly logical since the forum is best suited to start a discussion and post pics or videos, but it's interesting for the Wiki to have comments on the news page because it shows this page has activity and active members (remember the news page is often the entry page for casual visitors). A short comment, even if it repeats what you say on the forum, would be appreciated.

2) The Summer Glau Wiki tweets about its news automatically; why don't you retweet the news to your followers, or mention it on your site or other social network you're attending.

These are simple and non intrusive suggestions to help the Wiki if you feel like (i know some of you already do it anyway).

Side note : i have submitted this message to Fermi for approval before posting it.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

BlaziusDate: Sunday, 06 Nov 2011, 05:15 | Message # 30
Quote (FordStaff)
Anybody who'd try would surely fail and I wouldn't like to watch a flawed version of the shows to be constantly reminded how good was the original.

There is always a chance for success and we as an audience lose nothing for taking a risk, it is not as if a reboot can seep into our DVD collections and ruin the originals forever.

Without Summer I wouldn't watch any reboots BTW. It was Summer who made those shows as good as they are in my eyes and its Summer who made Cameron and River so perfect characters.

While both shows benefited greatly from Summer's performances both had many other things going for them (although IMHO T:TSCC benefited far greater because firefly's ensemble cast seemed stronger and more encompassing to me). Had firefly gone on longer with River gaining greater focus such as in "Objects in Space" my opinion would easily be swayed the other direction however.

Summer most certainly could not be River if a reboot of firefly happens her face has matured too much. It seems a bad idea to mix and match new and original actors in a reboot, unless the originals get new roles only present in the reboots. It would just be too odd and surreal.

Imagine for example the new Mal (Jason Bateman - to get out of traffic tickets ) lecturing River (still Summer Glau) about the finer subtleties of gun safety while the new Inara (Natalie Portman ? she is a well dressed ambassador in the star wars prequels) stands nearby with seemingly the only purpose of inhibiting Mal's jerk ass tendencies, if of course she is not too busy wallowing in frustration of her eternal unresolved sexual tension. River's only response to the presumably inspirational diatribe Mal could muster is a very reassuring "pop goes the weasel" and she's off to unknown destinations as it suits her. Inara refrains Mal's pursuit for a one on one conversation.

Meanwhile in sick bay Jayne (still Adam Baldwin) laughs maniacally (you could even say his is an evil laugh) as new Simon ( Neal Patrick Harris - I for one am glad that this did not come to be in the original ) finishes his final touches on the newly splayed bullet wound to Wash's (still Alan Tudyk) inner thigh. New Book (Morgan Freeman -- or if you have an imagination a 50-60 year old Donald Glover) can only read the good book with a look of disgust motioning his discontent to Zoe (still Gina Torres) who responds to Jayne's laughter at the pain of her husband with a swift groin attack to Jayne's totally existent man parts.

In the hanger Kaylee (still Jewel Staite) is taking stock of supplies when she approaches a crate oozing of conspicuousness. New Jubal Early ( Laurence Fishburne ) knowing something just aint right, launches out of the crate of conspicuousness and feels an almost magnetic force tugging his gun towards Kaylee, the likes of which many before and after shall encounter. A hostage, not part of the plan, but plans don't often go smooth in this verse.

If that glimpse of a re-imagination of "Objects in Space" with the schizoid mix of old to new cast does not mess with your head then I do not know what will. If some original cast is displaced of their original roles, none should get in the original roles for the sake of fans of the original works sanity. Take all or leave all situation (only talking about main roles present in the original), but I suppose opinions could vary.

Clearly no one will be able to portray River as well as Summer Glau (the same could be said for the majority of the other actors/characters), but that is why a reboot ought to differentiate themselves from the original so that the new actors are not just trying to imitate the old actors. That would end horribly wrong no matter the circumstances.

I'd agree with you on most points probably if the discussion weren't also about TSCC. I agree with you that Firefly didn't benefit nearly as much from Summer as TSCC ( but her brilliance especially considering Serenity too still had that much impact on the universe that without her it'd be like a shadow of its former self most likely). I dare to say especially for me TSCC's success or fail depended on the large part on Summer.

Terminator was always about the terminators, especially the lead terminator, the protector terminator with t1's exception of course. As such it always depended largely on the actor playing the robot if the flick will be good or bad. No wonder why Schwarzie became so famous because of this role and why his name became one with terminator.

No wonder why nobody tried to replace the muscled male terminator lead so far and Josh Friedman tried something different, it'd surely fail without the "governator" . Schwarzie's responsibility was now Summers in the show and much depended on her. And I could not believe but she succeeded and even surpressed all my( and I think many others) expectations. And its not just that but she essentially created the most believable, most lovable and most badass robot character ever created on the top of that.

I say she created her because nobody would be able to do that again and I've never seen anybody do that before to that degree. And writers can write nice stories,nice characters, nice concepts but if the actor can't play it as it is meant to be the plan is blown and the show fails.

The only thing why Summer could do it is because she is able to manipulate subtly and perfectly her every move and expression required to keep the delicate balance between being a machine and a sentient and because of her ability to show outbursting emotion when necessary, shocking the viewers further. And on the top of that she is gorgeous like a goddess. I don't think we'll see another one of her in our lifetime especially if the industry does everything to keep talented people from getting successful in any possible way.

So according to my above reasons I believe if anybody tries to replace Summer as Cameron would surely fail(or has a minimal, neglectable chance of success only) even more in my opinion than if somebody wanted to do T1-T3 reboots without Schwarzie. If they want to do something else then fine. But TSCC without Summer is pointless. And through I disagree that Fireflys cast was all that much better than TSCCs I think that the other cast members, through I love almost all of them, are more replaceable actually than Summer. We got used to an army of different Johns and we successfully switched Linda Hamiltons Sarah to Lena Headeys Sarah but nobody replaced Schwarzie so far and neither anybody will be able to replace Summer.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
Search: