menu
person
Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
What's Up?
chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 01 Apr 2013, 23:53 | Message # 211
Group: Administrators
Leven Rambin in Music Video from JoJo
Leven Rambin can be spotted around the 3:00 minute mark of JoJo’s new music video for the song 'Andre'. You can find Leven in the shots of the group of ladies.

Source: Leven Rambin Online

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 03 Apr 2013, 00:34 | Message # 212
Summer Glau,Tarina Tarantino and Leven Rambin at the launch party for Tarina Tarantino's new cosmetics line "Tarina Tarantino Beauty", presented exclusively at Sephora, held at Siren Studios on February 24, 2010 in Hollywood, California.

Tarina Tarantino Beauty Launch Party - February 24, 2010

To answer one of Kevin's questions, Tarina Tarantino is not related to actor/director Quentin Tarentino.

This event is also mentioned in the May 2010 issue of Thrasher Skateboard Magazine (see bottom of the page):

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 03 Apr 2013, 09:43 | Message # 213
I wonder what Summer Glau is saying at the end of this video.

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 12:10 | Message # 214
I don't think people who visits this site and most fan sites fall into the category described in this article since we mostly discuss Summer's choices as an actress and Summer does not have an online presence on the net or on the People blogs/press but I think this is interesting reading:

Link: 'Americans Have An Unhealthy Obsession With Celebrities' by Jo Piazza for The Hufftington Post

AlexDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 14:08 | Message # 215
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I don't think people who visits this site and most fan sites fall into the category described in this article since we mostly discuss Summer's choices as an actress and Summer does not have an online presence on the net or on the People blogs/press but I think this is interesting reading:

Link: 'Americans Have An Unhealthy Obsession With Celebrities' by Jo Piazza for The Hufftington Post

This is a quite benevolent site. The odd time that someone has engaged in making nasty comments, we have seen the judicious use of what the American author John Scalzi has described as the Mallet of Loving Correction.

I think the combination of Nordic reserve and Gallic wit that is used to guide and regulate this site makes this a very refreshingly open and interesting one. And the mainstay of this site is a very honest and at times gob-smacked (for me at least) appreciation of a vastly underrated and very talented actor who, many believe, is also quite an admirable person.

As to what the Huffington Post writer has written as a description of an unhealthy obsession with celebrity, I note that it is done so on a site that floods the reader with advertisements. In contrast, this site has minimal advertising. I say minimal because until it was pointed out to me, I never noticed it. As well, the author (and I am certainly not criticizing her for this) is clearly promoting her book on how celebrities make money. Her article reads like promotional material.

Lastly, I think that any interest in things that entertain us, such as the work done by Summer Glau, can be a very healthy thing. The American Abraham Maslow wrote about a hierarchy of needs. Apart from needing to feed, clothe, and feed ourselves at the lowest level, we need to achieve a sense of fulfilment and purpose in our lives and this is something that I think is often well served through education and understanding. 

I certainly have a better understanding of good acting having seen, thought about, and discussed her work. Likewise, in considering the work of Joss Whedon and Josh Friedman, I believe I have a better understanding of what makes up a good story and how to tell it. Clearly too, it is very important to have the synergy that comes from having a combination of great performers and great writers (and all the other members of the production). All of this is to say that the appreciation of Summer Glau leads to a rewarding and fulfilling understanding. 

To quote Maslow, "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." I think that the author of the HP article has the proverbial hammer and she has set about to lovingly apply it but simply put, the interest that this site supports in Summer Glau is a rather different thing than what she describes (even though this sub-forum is called the water cooler).

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 16:39

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 15:15 | Message # 216
Thanks for your insightful comment, Alex. I may have missed one or two things about the article, indeed.

But you may have missed yourself one or two things about the Summer Glau Wiki as well, Alex wink
There IS ads under every News and Blogpost (but I guess it has become part of the layout and people don't seem to notice it); I don't remember if Fermi or I already communicated about it, so I will take this opportunity to say a few things. When Fermi informed me that a company was asking to put an ad on the site and he asked for my opinion, I was pleased because it meant that the site was growing and this was noticed. Most media are living thanks to advertising, the newspaper, the networks and the websites and I don't see why a fan site should be the exception to the rule. Of course some fans have already expressed their reservations about that and that was duly noted. May I remark that almost every SG fan site and most fan sites I visit have a "Donate" button; there was one at the SG Wiki as well but Fermi decided to remove it a few years ago.
All of that is to say that having ads/donations or not is not a relevent criteria to judge the quality of a site imo.

You and other may have noticed that I spend a lot of time promoting this site but I prefer to highlight the quality of the content we provide instead of speaking ill of other fan sites (benchmarking is very useful though).

And finally, you nailed it; I don't think what is described by the author of the article applies to a fan site like ours; I just thought it could fuel our reflexion.
What we're doing here as a community is mostly a labor of love but there's a lot of grey areas, such as the copyright thing, Summer's privacy, and many other things that requires that Fermi, Charley and I make decisions. I don't pretend we always make the good choices but the positive feedback I have online and the ever growing number of visitors proves that we're on the right track.

FermiDate: Thursday, 11 Apr 2013, 19:49 | Message # 217
Quote (chrisdvanne)
There IS ads under every News and Blogpost

The advertising on the site is just to cover for the paid hosting.

I often get messages from web companies that wanna put their ads on this site but I am not interested in it.

All the money I got from the first ad was used to purchase a 2 year hosting plan at ipage (the gallery). I am also paying for ucoz hosting using my own money, but that is just to remove a more annoying ucoz ad from the site.

The ipage ad in the gallery pays out in hosting credits if someone is clicking the link and signs up for a qualified iPage hosting plan, that has never happened.

You can't stop the signal!

FermiDate: Thursday, 11 Apr 2013, 19:54 | Message # 218
If anyone is wondering where Fermi is. I am working on starting a business. I am still around but don't have so much time to post content.

You can't stop the signal!

Charley_DixonDate: Thursday, 11 Apr 2013, 20:23 | Message # 219
Quote (Fermi)
I am working on starting a business

Great. Good luck, Fermi!

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 11 Apr 2013, 23:36 | Message # 220
Quote (Fermi)
Quote (chrisdvanne)
There IS ads under every News and Blogpost

The advertising on the site is just to cover for the paid hosting.

I often get messages from web companies that wanna put their ads on this site but I am not interested in it.

All the money I got from the first ad was used to purchase a 2 year hosting plan at ipage (the gallery). I am also paying for ucoz hosting using my own money, but that is just to remove a more annoying ucoz ad from the site.

The ipage ad in the gallery pays out in hosting credits if someone is clicking the link and signs up for a qualified iPage hosting plan, that has never happened.

Thanks for explaining!
This site is run by people who take on their free time and often pay with their own money for whatever they need to bring the fans interesting content. This is a labor of love.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 01 May 2013, 12:23 | Message # 221
Peter Pan – the Disney classic – flies back into Hoyts Cinemas for a strictly limited time from May 4.

Meanwhile Peter Panzerfaust's motion comic will be released on May 15.

Behind-the-Scenes

Kudos to Walt Disney for the perfect advertising schedule wink

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 02 May 2013, 10:24 | Message # 222
I bought a Blu-ray player and the first disc I bought is this one smile

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 10 May 2013, 17:25 | Message # 223
Kara Zor-el.com becomes supergirlhomepage.net

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that our friend Danny has made major changes to his site dedicated to Supergirl/Kara Zor-el:

Welcome to a new age! Over the past few weeks, I have made some significant changes to the site. Probably the biggest of them all, is the name. The site’s address has been changed from karazor-el.com to supergirlhomepage.net. The site’s email address and social networking names have also been changed to reflect the new name. The Kara Zor-El Podcast is staying as it is, as well as Krypton’s Last Daughter: A Supergirl Podcast. Both shows will be under the same email address and social networking title, the Supergirl Homepage.

Over the next coming months, I’m hoping to grow the site even bigger, by adding more shows, and some amazing writers. I’ll have more information on the next episode of the Kara Zor-El Podcast, with a special surprise at the very beginning of the show.

I wish Danny all the best with this new version of his wonderful site!

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 13 May 2013, 11:51 | Message # 224
Who else is excited about the TSCC Reunion in the making at Montreal Comiccon?

Read more in the Blog.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 09:58 | Message # 225
If you're into candid photos with celebrities (preferably the younger ones), you can check out Sarah collection on Flickr or follow her on Twitter

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » What's Up? (Tell us what's on your mind.)
Search: