menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Halloween @ Summer Glau Wiki : dress like your fav character
Halloween @ Summer Glau Wiki : dress like your fav character
chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 13:56 | Message # 1
Group: Administrators

Summer glau Halloween Witch

Halloween will be observed in less than one week, on the night of Monday, October 31st.

Among the activities are trick-or-treating but also costume parties. This is the opportunity to ask the members of the Summer Glau Wiki what would be their favorite Halloween costume, taken from Summer Glau's characters in movies or tv shows.

We have already take a look at Cameron's wardrobe in a previous thread (see How to dress like Cameron?).

Of course i'm aware the vast majority of the members are male but let's pretend for once, or if you prefer what costume would you choose for your wife or girlfriend.

Funny remarks allowed and as usual feel free to add your own suggestions.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 13:59 | Message # 2
River Tam (Firefly/Serenity)

What you will need : woollen pullover and matching dress, preferably made by your grandma. You can tear it yourself but don't tell your grandma (remember the day she found your expensive Diesel jean and stiched it?).

Bonus feature : also known as 'Laura Ingalls' costume; perfect with a pair of black boots.

Summer Glau

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 14:41 | Message # 3
River Tam (Firefly/Serenity)

What you will need : another version of the above River Tam costume. Colored dress and lace are a must.

Bonus feature : no need to go to the hairdresser. American actress Summer glau (Firefly, Terminator : The Sarah connor chronicles) is often wearing a similar River Tam costume (dress with flowers, lace,...)

Summer Glau

Click on image for bigger size
Summer Glau

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 14:44

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 16:59 | Message # 4
Summer Glau as a sexy vintage witch :

BlaziusDate: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 19:56 | Message # 5
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
Summer Glau as a sexy vintage witch :

Summer would make the most gorgeous witch I've ever seen love ! Possible role maybe ? Nice fanarts BTW.

Now about the topic.

I'm thinking maybe about a Jamie Fleming costume. She is another very fashionable character besides Cameron but she is even more feminine and she is very elegant. I bet any girl would be happy with those costumes.

Actually its hard to pick which'd be the best so I'll pick a few:

The Cape (ep7-10)

This version looks cool I think.

Also this:
The Cape

And maybe this one:

The Cape (ep3-4)

Maybe we should start a dress like Jamie thread too wacko ?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 19:57

chrisdvanne_Date: Tuesday, 25 Oct 2011, 20:11 | Message # 6
Thanks for the entries Blazius!
It would be very nice if you tried to rephrase them the way i started the thread, aka a big title (Character name + media) and the 2 sections "What you will need :" and "Bonus feature :"

I help you :

Jamie Fleming (The Cape)

What you will need : time to take out from the closet the expensive hooker look-alike high heels boots that you dare not to wear in every day life. Add thight sexy dresses from creators.

Bonus feature : a a well-stuffed wallet.

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 12:26 | Message # 7
Quote (Blazius)
Summer would make the most gorgeous witch I've ever seen

Probably!

Three movies i like , taken from The Golden Age of Hollywood, and starring witches; there is little to no special effects but great acting and strong stories, thus creating a unique atmosphere.

I Married a Witch (1942) is a fantasy romantic comedy film, directed by René Clair, and starring Veronica Lake as a witch whose plan for revenge goes comically awry (thanks Wikipedia).

Click on images for bigger size
Veronica Lake - I married a witch

Bell Book and Candle (1958) starring Kim Novak and James Stewart; a modern-day witch likes her neighbor but despises his fiancee, so she enchants him to love her instead... only to fall in love with him for real (thanks IMDb).

Kim Novak - <br /> Bell Book and Candle

Cat People (1942) is a fantasy horror film directed by Jacques Tourneur and starring Simone Simon; an American man marries a Serbian immigrant who fears that she will turn into the cat person of her homeland's fables if they are intimate together (thanks IMDb).

Simone Simon - Cat People

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 26 Oct 2011, 23:37 | Message # 8
Funny how the witches reputation changed recently. Calling a woman a witch was used to be a great insult but now the witch transformed into some kind of sexy dream girl in popular media (perhaps not unlike vampire guys transformed into dream boys among young girls).

I like this image because it often mixes creepy with beautiful.
Also good exercise for actresses.

A Summer witch would be great I think because she is perfectly able to mix beauty with creepiness(and those stockings are hot I must say biggrin ) .

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 00:07 | Message # 9
I think there is a reason why i love those threes movie involving witches; it's not because of their supernatural powers or their supposed evil side. It's because these strong and powerful women have something in common : they are able to override their programmed-in-their-genes hatred of humans and evil side for the love of a simple mortal.

I'm sure you begin to see the parallel between these love stories and the story of John and Cameron; more, in Bell Book and Candle, Kim Novak's character will be able to love James Stewart's character the moment she will be able to shed a tear (a witch can't cry as you know it). Bob said himself that's something he could never do but Cameron has proven she was capable of crying.

I doubt Josh Friedman was thinking directly about those movies when he created Cameron but, as a man of cinematographic culture, he was certainly influenced by the kind of love story spread by such classic movies.

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 00:53 | Message # 10
Quote (michelangelo)
It's because these strong and powerful women have something in common :

Now I'm absolutely certain that Summer must play a witch sometimes!

Quote (michelangelo)
I think there is a reason why i love those threes movie involving witches; it's not because of their supernatural powers or their supposed evil side. It's because these strong and powerful women have something in common : they are able to override their programmed-in-their-genes hatred of humans and evil side for the love of a simple mortal.

I'm sure you begin to see the parallel between these love stories and the story of John and Cameron; more, in Bell Book and Candle, Kim Novak's character will be able to love James Stewart's character the moment she will be able to shed a tear (a witch can't cry as you know it). Bob said himself that's something he could never do but Cameron has proven she was capable of crying.

I doubt Josh Friedman was thinking directly about those movies when he created Cameron but, as a man of cinematographic culture, he was certainly influenced by the kind of love story spread by such classic movies.

Actually the reason why this story is so captivating and pevailent is that it seems fairly old. Writers far before the television era wrote about the romance of the immortal, powerful creature(who was usually the female but instead of witch she was rather some kind of fay creature) who gives up immortality or at least the preconceptions of her race for the beloved man. Even in Lord of the Rings there is a similar subplot(Arwen + Aragorn).

Friedman is really brilliant that he could bring this story into a spinoff of a sci-fi action movie, another reason why Cameron was such a compelling character. Even Summer said in an interview that she was amazed that they could "turn a robot action story into a fairy tale" to paraphrase Summer ( she certainly has a very good idea what her roles are about)

TSCC was fantastic even because of this I think.

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 00:55

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 01:24 | Message # 11
Glad you share my point of view!
I have limited my comparison to movies but as you said, this is a prevalent theme in literature and fairy tales. No wonders such strong stories are depicted in movies or tv shows (Number Six's love for Balthar in Battlestar Galactica is another example). Inevitably the audience feel immediately connected to this story and their characters.

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 01:50

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 02:00 | Message # 12
Quote (michelangelo)
I have limited my comparison to movies but as you said, this is a prevalent theme in literature and fairy tales. No wonders such strong stories are depicted in movies or tv shows (Number Six's love for Balthar in Battlestar Galactica is another example). Surely to audience feel immediately connected to this story and their characters.

Sci-fi is the No.1 genre which continues to retell the old stories and legends which were popular since humans started to speak and write. Many of the movies and series that we call clever and brilliant are often based on old stories retold so it matches the tone of the current age.

For example we no longer believe in immortal creatures and magic, but the tale survives by adapting, so instead of magic there is science and instead of fairies there are aliens or nearly invincible robots.

Or look at another sci-fis like Star Wars, Dune, Asimov. Strip the spaceships and futuristic setting, replace it with horses and another mediaval stuff and you find that its the same story told centuries ago.

Even look at your typical male hero not only in the sci-fi genre and you'll find that they are all Odysseus "rip-offs".

The best stories are always valid and immortal till the last human dies.

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 02:38 | Message # 13
I would like to point out that witches are certainly not good at all for the image of women despite them being

strong and powerful

Think about the origin of power for a witch and their counter parts the wizard. Often times a wizard either gains his powers through a combination of either innate ability or more often grueling work, intelligence, and study. Witches gain their powers through occult deals with Satan or Demons (or whatever evil force --- also notice that demons and satan are commonly portrayed as men which brings up even more unfortunate implications).

Basically based off of wizard and witch common portrayal women can not gain power or ability of their own accord while men can. Hardly good morals. Not to mention the implication that only men can be good or evil while women are only pawns to be corrupted. Of course this dynamic is changing in current fiction for example in Harry Potter witches get their power from the same source as wizards and are equivalent ,but in the past these things are fairly common.

I should add that I am not suggesting a boycott of witch costumes (its just for fun after all) merely pointing out calling witches strong woman figures may not be the best idea.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 05:22

chrisdvanne_Date: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 09:14 | Message # 14
That is an old conception of Wizard and Witches you're giving Fordstaff.

If the image inprinted in people's mind has been forged centuries ago by literature and fairy tales, it's changing quickly. Movies and tv shows have taken over the theme and one cannot deny its power of influence over the masses.

I don't recall Samantha's image in the 60's series Bewitched was bad; nor was Willow's in Buffy (even if Willow has had her bad moments, Buffy has always said that Willow was the most powerful of the team), nor the witches of Charmed or more recently Bonnie in The Vampire Diaries, or the women in Thomas Dekker's The Secret Circle. In this regard, new ABC's serie Once Upon a Time has a more traditional approach. But what strikes me in recent tv shows is that the Witches of Salem are systematically introduced as innocent victims of the ignorance of the people at the time and not as Satan's devoted.

But even without going into details, the overall image of the witches has certainly changed in the past decades.

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 09:15

FordStaffDate: Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 11:16 | Message # 15
But what strikes me in recent tv shows is that the Witches of Salem are systematically introduced as innocent victims of the ignorance of the people at the time and not as Satan's devoted.

There are tv shows that try to present them as real witches? Do religious organizations even put out the pretext of thinking that there ever were or could be witches? This just confuses me as I thought it was pretty clear to even those who theoretically knowledge the possibility of witches that there was at most a very very very very small amount. In any case this is not witches getting less negative portrayal because the story would not involve witches at all. Real traditional witches should have negative portrayal (they are making deals with Satan after all).

Buffy has always said that Willow was the most powerful of the team

Power is not the concern. The source of the power is. If Willow became a witch through a deal with the devil (traditional witch) then the amount of her power does not really matter. If Willow worked at the magic arts or some such thing to become a witch then this would be positive (traditional wizard).

But even without going into details, the overall image of the witches has certainly changed in the past decades.

Well to be honest I do not know any of the modern portrayals that you mention. But the traditional definition of a witch is often very different than witches in fictional stories now. I believe it is more popular now for witches to derive their powers from the same generally neutral power source as wizards eliminating the unfortunate implications of the traditional portrayals (at least Harry Potter handles it this way from what I remember).

The confusion lies in the fact that witch can refer to a female magic user, but the traditional definition has the source as an evil force. This confusion is not present with male magic users because there is different terms depending on the source of the magic (Warlock vs. Wizard) . Then again I am not really knowledgeable on this subject. Fantasy never really was my thing.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Thursday, 27 Oct 2011, 11:25

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Halloween @ Summer Glau Wiki : dress like your fav character
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: