menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » The members of the Summer Glau Wiki are awesome!
The members of the Summer Glau Wiki are awesome!
chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 07 Dec 2011, 22:56 | Message # 16
Group: Administrators
I'm continuously questioning and challenging my involvement in the Summer Glau Wiki and my belonging to the Summer Glau fandom. Some of you may have noticed that i have increased my participation to social networks like Twitter or Facebook.
This process is perfectly normal and most fans follow the same path.

My goal is to get involved deeper in the Summer Glau fandom in order to turn it into a friendly community, like what we've built together at the Summer Glau Wiki. I'm not necessarily spending less time for at the Summer Glau Wiki but i will balance my activities here and on other platforms in order to maximise Summer Glau's exposure, through articles, comments and other promoting actions.

This is why i have already changed my username here or changed my profile message on Twitter (it's now "I place my talents at the service of the Summer Glau fans community").

Fans are already functioning as a community in this fansite or partly on Twitter and a lot of fans (Wiki members included) have a site related to Summer on their own but i noticed they have little interaction with each other; yet we're complementary for a large part and the more successful each part is, the more successful the whole community is. This is why i have started to advertise other platforms or fansites.

Notice that i'm not advocating we should join, just interact in a friendly manner; i want to make sure to respect everyone sensibility and desire. Don't be fooled, i will continue to support the Summer Glau wiki, but i want to avoid what happened with the TSCC boards.

Some of those fans, not necessarily members of the Summer Glau Wiki or lurkers only, thrust me enough to have designated me admin of a Facebook Fan Club page of Summer Glau, namely Summer Glau - A Woman We Love.

I have started to interact more with other fans and i shall continue in the future; for example, if one has a project, it would be nice to have everone's support. That's the way to resurrect the Viewers Club for example given that being a member of the Summer Glau Wiki is not required to participate. Our differences (in age, culture, country, sensibility) are a strenght imo. Finally, i'm convinced it will benefits Summer to have a bigger and more friendly fanbase.

Side note : I cannot resist to report today's little victory at Syfy France where i suggested to add a photo and write-ups of Summer Glau in the Cape pages (surprisingly they were missing) and finally won the case.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 14 Dec 2011, 12:05 | Message # 17
I won't talk about me for once wink

The Summer Glau Wiki is a friendly community inside the walls of the Wiki but it's also important to be connected to the outside world; i discuss with Summer Glau fans every day on twitter (i have learned to appreciate chatting now). Italian Summer Glau fan Angelin is one of them, under the username AngyGlau (well, he wanted to mix the names Angelin and Summer Glau).
He registered at the Summer Glau Wiki yesterday; i told him that if participating directly to the life of the Wiki from the inside is the best imo, there is many other ways to participate.
Angelin is a twitter junkie and most of his online activity happens there; well, retweeting @summerglauwiki or @Fermi300 when they annouce news or updates is very helpful and i invite every members or lurkers to do it (basically, it's mostly Fox012, AndyGlau and me at the present moment).
Same can be done on Facebook or any other social network. It took me one year to understand than social networking can't be done by one person only, this is why i make this post today wink

It's very simple to share the content of the Wiki with your favorite social network; of course you can do it directly from there but you can also do it from the Wiki with the "Share" widget and the dedicated Facebook, Twitter and Google+ buttons (see screencap below) :

FermiDate: Sunday, 08 Jan 2012, 00:45 | Message # 18
We have noticed that the members don't comment much on the news page, we work hard to keep this site updated and wish that more members where to leave feedback by commenting on our news/blog. A short comment means alot for us.

Edit: Increased the reputation for all members with recent comment contributions. Thank you I appreciate it.

You can't stop the signal!

riversfeetDate: Sunday, 08 Jan 2012, 05:31 | Message # 19
Group: Friends
That is such a beautiful photo of Summer on the first post. Those are my all time fav. pics of her, when she's in that pink dress.

Summer, continue kicking ass!

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

FermiDate: Sunday, 08 Jan 2012, 15:15 | Message # 20
Quote (riversfeet)
That is such a beautiful photo of Summer on the first post.

Thank you

With comments I was refering to the news/blog itself. All entries has its own comment section:

http://summer-glau.com/news....omments

Note: Even users that has not logged into the site can comment, but due to spammers comments need to be approved by admin before being visible.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 16 Jan 2012, 22:40 | Message # 21
We have doubled our number of members in six months, this is great smile Of course members come and go for many reasons, this is quite common on every board. Still we're on the right tracks.

May i remember you the manuel of the perfect Summer Glau wiki member : don't hesitate to comment on the news page itself (not only on the forum) because the news page is the entry page for a lot of casual visitors and i'm sure they'd like to hear you voice.
Don't hesitate to share the news, the pictures from the gallery or the blog entries by using the share buttons on the site (on Twitter, Facebook, Google+,...); you can also retweet @Fermi300, @summerglauwiki or @chrisdvanne annoucements on twitter.

Once you starts, it becomes an habit and it really helps insuring the visibility and the reputation of the Wiki. What's the use? Well, it allowed us to have an exclusive interview from Susannah Charleson or a nice message from photographer Joan Allen for example. In each case, the whole community of Summer Glau fans benefits from our results.

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 20 Feb 2012, 11:13 | Message # 22
Most of the time the only criteria used to measure the weight of a website is the number of visitors...and it is important indeed. As Fermi mentioned it at the occasion of the second anniversary of the Summer Glau Wiki, the number of its visitors is regularly growing and we're very happy of this.

But there is also another criteria called the number of page views per visitor; in the case of the Summer Glau Wiki, the average page views per visitor is high (between 5 and 6) and shows that the site has interesting and various content. For many websites, the visitor connect to the homepage in order to look for new content and that's it but not here; a visitor can browse through the news in the homepage but also visit the active forum and look for new comments or look for old threads, not to mention the Blog which is regularly fueled with entries covering various topics. One thing that Wiki members seem to have understood now is that the content is not simply added by the admins (Fermi or Charley_Dixon) but also by the members themselves (we shall prove it soon with a game-changing article) and this is one of the great strength of this Wiki imo.

Also :
May i remember you the manuel of the perfect Summer Glau wiki member : don't hesitate to comment on the news page itself (not only on the forum) because the news page is the entry page for a lot of casual visitors and i'm sure they'd like to hear you voice.
Don't hesitate to share the news, the pictures from the gallery or the blog entries by using the share buttons on the site (on Twitter, Facebook, Google+,...); you can also retweet @Fermi300, @summerglauwiki or @chrisdvanne annoucements on twitter.

Once you starts, it becomes an habit and it really helps insuring the visibility and the reputation of the Wiki. What's the use? Well, it allowed us to have an exclusive interview from Susannah Charleson or a nice message from photographer Joan Allen for example. In each case, the whole community of Summer Glau fans benefits from our results.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 20 Feb 2012, 11:15

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012, 11:10 | Message # 23
It's no mystery that i was not a fan of the reputation points under that form; on the opposite, i think that Karma is a much more appropriate concept to underline the participative form of the contributions to the Summer Glau Wiki (this is not a competition).

The members of the Summer Glau Wiki have my blessing if they want to use the Karma wink

FermiDate: Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012, 14:14 | Message # 24
Quote (chrisdvanne)
It's no mystery that i was not a fan of the reputation points under that form; on the opposite, i think that Karma is a much more appropriate concept to underline the participative form of the contributions to the Summer Glau Wiki (this is not a competition).

The members of the Summer Glau Wiki have my blessing if they want to use the Karma wink

O_o One can change much by just replacing a word. Yes it is much better that we all works on improving our karmas instead of reputation. Having good reputation is something many people strives for in our society but achieving that does not necessary means that you have any karma.

The1RussterDate: Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012, 16:01 | Message # 25
Group: Writer
Karma is transitory, the effects of previously good or bad behavior. Reputation speaks of one's character and lasts a lifetime. Neither of which can be defined by a number signifying a momentary judgment of approval by visitor/member at the time he made it, but may not reflect further judgments of that same visitor/member. It is nothing more than a poll in which only favorable numbers are counted.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

chrisdvanne_Date: Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012, 16:43 | Message # 26
Quote (The1Russter)
Karma is transitory, the effects of previously good or bad behavior. Reputation speaks of one's character and lasts a lifetime. Neither of which can be defined by a number signifying a momentary judgment of approval by visitor/member at the time he made it, but may not reflect further judgments of that same visitor/member. It is nothing more than a poll in which only favorable numbers are counted.

Every forum has its own system; at the start of the Wiki, there were grades like in the army, which i did not appreciate and voiced it. The reputation points are no bad system but i simply prefer the karma.

Anyway i've already said that giving reputation points or karma is not a reward or a way to compare the members (it's not because one has 2 000 or 50 karma points that he's always right or must be obeid); i'd rather see it as a way to encourage members to post and to participate actively to the life of the forum like you do. This is why i give them mostly to new members like Marcel93 for example who posts content or messages regularly.

And it goes both way, one can give or remove karma. But honestly i don't see the point of removing karma or donwvoting a post as they do on reddit (i've already told them there).

Anyway this is maybe not a main feature of the Summer Glau Wiki but i personaly think it can help creating a friendly community, not based on raw ranking but based on expressions of gratitude and signs of encouragement.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012, 20:21 | Message # 27
Maybe I'm missing something but is it that relevant what you call the points which you get for doing stuff which benefits the Wiki somehow?

Personally I loved "Reputation" points more purely because Karma doesn't sound that good to me but I have no problem if its called "Karma".

Regardless of its name I think too that its a very good feature because new members feel more recognized and thus encouraged to write so its a really good feature. Of course its importance diminishes as you spend more time here and being here is its own reward but even then an occasional " You did it right" point is good for everyone I guess.

Negative "Karma" is useless IMO.

What if we simply called it an "award" or "award point" or something? To emphasize that you get it for doing something right?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FermiDate: Wednesday, 07 Mar 2012, 21:29 | Message # 28
Quote (Blazius)
What if we simply called it an "award" or "award point" or something? To emphasize that you get it for doing something right?

Ucoz have an award feature that is very similar to reputations, with award you can send stuff like ice-cream and shoes to other members.
I did not see the point in having both award and reputations so I uninstalled the feature.

Here is the thread in ucoz support forum that explains how it works: http://forum.ucoz.com/forum/37-6267-1

BlaziusDate: Thursday, 08 Mar 2012, 18:32 | Message # 29
Quote (Fermi)
Ucoz have an award feature that is very similar to reputations, with award you can send stuff like ice-cream and shoes to other members.
I did not see the point in having both award and reputations so I uninstalled the feature.

I'm sure if somebody here wants to send Ice-cream to an other member he/she can find a way without that feature. My point was simply that if its really that important what you call the reputation system, I'd choose a very neutral name for it which represents its purpose more. "Award point" is just my sloppy idea to demonstrate what I'm talking about, I'm sure somebody could come up with something infinitely better. Or leave it just as it is.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_Date: Monday, 09 Apr 2012, 15:54 | Message # 30
Results for a "Summer Glau" search on Twitter (at least in my browser) : i'm on top, just before the official account of The Summer Glau Wiki.

Sorry Fermi tongue

Side note : tbh, Twitter has not published the rules behind this ranking and it varies a lot, still...

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » The members of the Summer Glau Wiki are awesome!
Search: