Latest Photos

Check out the latest additions to our ever expanding GALLERY hosting over 65,000 photos!

New messages Members Forum rules Search

Page 1 of 41234»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » The Official Tech Thread (Technology related discussions.)
The Official Tech Thread
Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:56 GMT | Message # 1

Site Admin

In this thread we will discuss everything technology related

Post useful information for example on different products or computer problems and suggestions .
Attachments: 3547067.jpg(129Kb)

You can't stop the signal!

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:57 GMT | Message # 2

Site Admin

I found this awesome article on Ars Technica and I just could not stop reading it until I read it all. Very fascinating story about a famous computer virus and a good piece of professional journalism. Enjoy:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/07/how-digital-detectives-deciphered-stuxnet-the-most-menacing-malware-in-history.ars

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:57 GMT | Message # 3

Site Admin

We had a lot of talks about AI on red and black wikies (and even a few forum bots). But if you are serious about AI you may probably find this interesting:

http://www.ai-class.com/

This is an experimental course that will take place from October 10th to December 18th 2011. According to that site:
Online Introduction to Artificial Intelligence is based on Stanford CS221, Introduction to Artificial Intelligence. This class introduces students to the basics of Artificial Intelligence, which includes machine learning, probabilistic reasoning, robotics, and natural language processing.

The objective of this class is to teach you modern AI. You learn about the basic techniques and tricks of the trade, at the same level we teach our Stanford students. We also aspire to excite you about the field of AI. Whether you are a seasoned professional, a college student, or a curious high school student - everyone can participate.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:57 GMT | Message # 4

Site Admin

Microsoft has recently showed its first preview of their new operating system Windows 8.

Windows 8 is described as the biggest change in Microsoft's operating system since Windows 95 was launched 16 years ago. For an average user, it is the appearance that differs greatly. It looks very much like how it looks in the Windows Phone. It is highly unclear when Windows 8 will be ready to be released to consumers, but probably it will take until the end of 2012 before the first consumer products with Windows 8 will go on sale.

y99y.jpg

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:57 GMT | Message # 5

Writer

Don't you just love how Microsoft wows us with its originality and innovation? <-- This is sarcasm.

On a percentage or ratio basis, I wonder which OS running on its recommended system is the bigger resource hog? I think the answer is fairly obvious before testing and comparing is actually performed. <-- More sarcasm.

Windows has its good points. Its been my favorite OS/GUI from Win3.1 running on DOS6.## up thru Win2000. I just haven't liked how Microsoft has behaved the last 12 years towards its customers, other software manufacturers, and even hardware manufacturers. Which is why I'm moving to Linux. A different beast indeed, but a nicer environment/culture for the PC user. IMO

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Thursday, 15 Sep 2011, 04:26

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:57 GMT | Message # 6

Site Admin

I was a Mac addict for years (before the age of widespread internet) even if i used both Mac and PC but eventually i joined the main stream; i still rant every day against Microsoft in front of my computer.

It looks very much like how it looks in the Windows Phone.

Remember the conversation we have for months? Global companies like Microsoft or mostly Google think in terms of integration, ie creating the same environment on all the platforms.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:57 GMT | Message # 7

Friends

OMG, new Windows-OS again ...

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:57 GMT | Message # 8

Friends

Quote (Granite)
OMG, new Windows-OS again ...

Exactly my reaction too. Another Vista is on the way?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:58 GMT | Message # 9

Site Admin

Quote (Blazius)
Another Vista is on the way?

Apple has had a great success with their ipad and Iphone. It has also increased the interest for Apple computers amongst the costumers.
Windows is still used in 90 percent of all personal computers, they need to hurry up the process.

One can already download a pre-beta version from Microsoft's official website: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:58 GMT | Message # 10

Site Admin

Quote (The1Russter)
Which is why I'm moving to Linux. A different beast indeed, but a nicer environment/culture for the PC user. IMO

I never tested this before but I recently installed Ubuntu. Works fine so far.

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:58 GMT | Message # 11

Friends

Quote (The1Russter)
Which is why I'm moving to Linux. A different beast indeed, but a nicer environment/culture for the PC user. IMO

But I heard its a bitch to program for it, twice as hard as for Windows. That and the fact that Windows is far more widespread makes it compatible with far more stuff. You never have to use an emulator for Windows to run something for example. Of course Microsoft pumps out crappy(Win 98 IMO) or unimproved Os (Vista, even Win7 IMO) But because of above reasons it will be hard to topple them for a while.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:58 GMT | Message # 12

Writer

I've been using PCLinuxOS quite successfully for most of this year on a new PC I built myself. One of my preferences for Liinux is that you are more likely to get it to run on an older PC than the latest version of Windows. Which is handy for those who have old PCS that need upgrading. This is the first time installing Linux on a new PC. I tried many distributions of Linux over the last few years and each one has had their good points and bad. PCLinuxOS has its drawbacks, but I've found it to be more stable on this computer than other distributions and has had a greater balance between the necessary and the optional bundled with the OS.

Personally, I think its just a matter of choice and taste.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:58 GMT | Message # 13

Site Admin

Quote (michelangelo)
I was a Mac addict for years

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 14:58 GMT | Message # 14

Site Admin

R.I.P. Steve Jobs sad
Attachments: 8908146.jpg(136Kb)

Date: Thursday, 06 Oct 2011, 16:50 GMT | Message # 15

Site Admin

I cannot check the pagerank of the sites i visit; it seems all Google dataserver that delivers the info are down.
It's theb same on all third party pagerank checker i tried; is it the same for you?.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » The Official Tech Thread (Technology related discussions.)
Page 1 of 41234»
Search: