The official funny thread
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at Dallas Comic Con 2014
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at Planet Comicon Kansas City 2017
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at Comic Con Russia 2015
By chrisdvanne

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By KevinInEngland

River Tam Action Figures
By chrisdvanne

The Happy Birthday thread
By chrisdvanne

Cameron Phillips in TSCC - Action Figures
By chrisdvanne

Photos of celebrities from the Glau-verse & beyond
By chrisdvanne

New comments

chrisdvanne on: River Tam figure in the next Firefly Loot Crate!

chrisdvanne on: Have a question for Summer? Here's your chance to ask it!

William on: Have a question for Summer? Here's your chance to ask it!

resurgance2001 on: Have a question for Summer? Here's your chance to ask it!

dmitriy on: Have a question for Summer? Here's your chance to ask it!

Eric Hammers on: Have a question for Summer? Here's your chance to ask it!

Admirator on: This photo of Summer with her baby daughter Milena by Joan Allen is beyond adorable

chrisdvanne on: This photo of Summer with her baby daughter Milena by Joan Allen is beyond adorable

New videos

00:05:42

00:01:20

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 3 of 10«12345910»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows
Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows
Date: Tuesday, 2012 Jul 10, 01:31 GMT | Message # 31

Bloggers

That is really interesting. Since Whedon did this several years before Serenity, it would be interesting to see if there are any ideas expressed in Alien Resurrection that were further developed in Firefly. Both universes were dark, with a sense of gloom, disenchantment, and rough around the edges. Both had large, powerful companies that were very evil (WY and Blue Sun). Both companies had strong ties to presumably corrupt governments. Both films had a strong ensemble cast.

In AR though, Whedon chose a female protagonist that ended up killing her mother; River had a brother. In AR, the captain of the salvagers ship was killed fairly early on whereas Mal lives.

What else ties the two films together? Jayne had a brother in the character played by Ron Perlman.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Date: Tuesday, 2012 Aug 21, 20:26 GMT | Message # 32

Site Admin

Why is Bill playing with a toy gun in the final action scene, when chasing Nina and Hicks at the hospital?

Fake gun with orange tip (used by movie props department)

Bill Harken's gun in Alphas

Screencap showing Bill's gun.

Bill Harken's gun in Alphas

That's probably the prop gun Bill usually carries, not the one they use for shooting scenes but they screwed up and used it for a shooting scene.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Tuesday, 2012 Aug 21, 20:27

Date: Friday, 2012 Sep 07, 13:19 GMT | Message # 33

Site Admin

As much as fans like cameos and easter eggs, TSCC's Josh Friedman doesn't : read what he says in TV Addict’s report of a conference call with him :

Will Michael Biehn be back?
I know fans like it, but I’m not a big fan of cameos. We’ve worked really hard to have Lena be Lena and not Linda Hamilton. When you bring characters over from the movies it becomes this weird ‘Where’s Waldo’ You want to have a world that’s self-contained and real. I find it distracting, although I love Michael Biehn.

Source : Josh Friddman Talks SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES Season Two by theTVaddict on April 22nd, 2008

Date: Monday, 2012 Sep 10, 12:02 GMT | Message # 34

Site Admin

iO9 has made a video interview with Warehouse 13's writer Deric Hughes, who told them how his UFOlogy obsession influences his writing. And a scene in TSCC inwhich you're supposed to see HK is also mentioned at 1:22 of the video :

And he tells us about the first, weirdest abduction story of all time. Plus, find out how Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles used real-life UFO footage to spice up its Skynet storylines. The truth is right here!

Read iO9 report from TSCC uses of UFO footages and Josh Friedman's answer at : Your UFOs Are Just Viral Marketing at iO9.

Date: Thursday, 2012 Sep 13, 12:50 GMT | Message # 35

Site Admin

Some trivia on Alphas 2x07 'Gods and Monsters'

Did you notice the swarming, piercing sound used in Alphas 2x07 each time a group of students is acting under Jasons influence (at the ball, in high-school, at the party).

Alphas 2x07 screencapsAlphas 2x07 screencaps
Alphas 2x07 screencapsAlphas 2x07 screencaps

It reminded me of the 1954 sci-fi movie THEM!

And in case the audience didn't get the reference to ants, Gary blatantly reminded it for us:

Quote (Gary)
They're like ants... they're swarming.

Alphas writers likes to make references to pop culture, as we've seen on numerous occasion in season one; the latest one being Hicks making a reference to Star Trek :

Hicks: Well, he's not alone anymore, is he? Leave it to Parish to make the Borg a real thing.
Rosen: Hmm?
Hicks: It's a Star Trek thing. Don't worry about it.

According to Wikipedia, "a Borg is a collective proper noun for a fictional alien race in the productions of the science fiction series Star Trek. The Borg are a collection of species that have turned into cybernetic organisms functioning as drones of the collective the hive, pseudo-race, dwelling in the Star Trek universe."

Just like Josh Friedman for TSCC, Alphas writers are using thematic episode titles; the title for episode 2x07 'Gods and
Monsters' is a line taken from the movie 'The Bride of Frankenstein' (1935), subtitled 'The Monster demands a mate'.
In this case, it alludes directly to Jason's looking to gain Lisa's love through his mind control power.

'The Bride of Frankenstein' (1935)

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Sep 19, 20:54 GMT | Message # 36

Site Admin

Serenity trivia

The ID number (C57D) of the rescue ship on Miranda is the same as the ID number of the ship in the 1956 sci-fi movie "Forbidden Planet".

Serenity : ID number (C57D) of the ship on Miranda Serenity : ID number (C57D) of the ship on Miranda Serenity : ID number (C57D) of the ship on Miranda

The Forbidden Planet C-57D Starcruiser Model Kit

More, Forbidden Planet is loosely based on Shakespeare's play The Tempest; and yet Prospero's daughter in the play is named...Miranda.

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Sep 19, 23:01 GMT | Message # 37

Friends

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Serenity trivia

The ID number (C57D) of the rescue ship on Miranda is the same as the ID number of the ship in the 1956 sci-fi movie "Forbidden Planet".

Serenity : ID number (C57D) of the ship on Miranda Serenity : ID number (C57D) of the ship on Miranda Serenity : ID number (C57D) of the ship on Miranda

More, Forbidden Planet is loosely based on Shakespeare's play The Tempest; and yet Prospero's daughter in the play is named...Miranda.

very interesting, very interesting indeed.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Message edited by REG - Wednesday, 2012 Sep 19, 23:01

Date: Friday, 2012 Sep 21, 17:18 GMT | Message # 38

Site Admin

Nathan Fillion is know for slipping references to Firefly in Castle whenever he can, and now there's an episode of Castle set to occur at a convention and featuring a Captain Mal Reynolds-lookalike.

Read more : Nathan Fillion Needs Someone To Play Nathan Fillion In Castle‘s Firefly Parody at crushable

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Sep 26, 11:11 GMT | Message # 39

Site Admin

Was there a reference to sci-fi action role-playing video games 'Mass Effect' in this week episode of Alphas?

Here's what Mass Effect wiki says about Cerberus :
Cerberus is a human-survivalist paramilitary group led by the enigmatic Illusive Man. Cerberus' core belief is that humans deserve a greater role in the galactic community, and that the Systems Alliance is too hamstrung by law and public opinion to stand up effectively to the Citadel races. Any methods of advancing humanity's ascension are justified, including illegal or dangerous experimentation, terrorist activities, sabotage and assassination. Cerberus operatives accept that these methods are brutal, but believe history will vindicate them.

The name 'Cerberus' was displayed on the side of Stanton's ship (not pictured below) and on the canisters aboard; the description above seems awfully similar to Parish's plan.

Stanton's ship in Alphas, 2x09 The Devil Will Drag You Under Stanton's ship in Alphas, 2x09 The Devil Will Drag You Under

Or is it a reference to Greek and Roman mythology, inwhich Cerberus is a multi-headed hound which guards the gates of the Underworld, to prevent those who have crossed the river Styx from ever escaping.

Greek and Roman mythology - Cerberus

Date: Tuesday, 2012 Oct 09, 23:12 GMT | Message # 40

Site Admin

Alphas episode 2x11 'If Memory Serves' was filled with Terminator references, particularly the plot involving guest star Sean Astin and his 'caretaker'; that's how Alphas writers named the Terminator-like alpha in charge of Astin's protection.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of the Terminator references (i'm going to assume you know the Terminator movies and Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles serie).

1) Kat asked a suprised Rosen to high five her (the way young John Connor and Arnold high fived in T2)

Alphas episode 2x11 'If Memory Serves' Terminator references

2) Mitchell's protector (the caretaker) is build like a Terminator and as hard to kill as one.

I even liked how the music seemed to switch over to something 80's sci-fi movie whenever the unstoppable care-machine showed up

3) Hicks mentioned two Arnold's movies :

Hicks : "So he's a Total Recall Alpha"

Hicks : "I don't think you need to worry about the Terminator, pal"

4) The way Kat wedged the caretaker between the truck and the car looks awfully similar to Cameron's situation in TSCC s02ep01 'Samson & Delilah'

5) Since TSCC s02ep03 'The MouseTrap', every fan knows that Terminators don't swim (watch video on YT : I don't swim - TSCC Scenemaker).

I think i even recognized Arnie's forearm inT2's final scene when the caretaker drowned :

6) The flames of Parish's house burning, reflected in Rosen's eyes, also reminded me the flames reflected in the T-1000 black glasses in T2.

Tell me what you think and maybe you saw other references.

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Oct 10, 13:20 GMT | Message # 41

Friends

Chris, post #32 - with your eyes nobody could get away with (non)murder.

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Oct 10, 13:31 GMT | Message # 42

Friends

I seem to have a different view on stealing themes from other shows than you guys. I'm glad we can all have opinions on here.
I see from the above postings that TSCC also used themes from other films/series, so it is not just Alphas/Continuum/Firefly that steal lines from other series. Just so long as they are only fleeting things, I guess they are OK.
I don't like it when exact copies are made, such as when an actor by the same name, with a floor view of a squeaking trolley approaching the green melons gets pretty close to stealing, as opposed to just a fleeting reference.

I'll tell you why.
I thought Allison From Palmdale was excellent, and as someone else said, worthy of an oscar.
If Alphas can match something like that, then perhaps they might have more of a right to steal other people's scripts?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or is Alphas just a silly show and I should not take it so seriousy? (That's just a joke BTW).

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Oct 10, 13:48 GMT | Message # 43

Friends

Yes Chris, post #39, Cerberus is a large Skynet creature, exceedingly well used in a story that I am reading by T.R. Samuels, subject: Land of the Living. It is a TSCC story, rather quaint in some respects and appeals to me quite a lot. You can read it on fanfiction.net

I guess this digresses a bit but perhaps Alphas will soon have their own fanfiction writers, along with other sites too?

(I must admit, I too took an interest in greek mythology when I wrote a whole chapter of my fanfiction, which I think was one of my best chapters. It is a school stage play, staged by John's school colleagues, unbeknown to him, written by Cameron about what she did to Allison. She used Greek gods as a simile

I guess I too am stealing other people's works. I hold up my hands and take my punishment).

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Oct 10, 14:23 GMT | Message # 44

Site Admin

Quote (KevinInEngland)
I seem to have a different view on stealing themes from other shows than you guys. I'm glad we can all have opinions on here.
I see from the above postings that TSCC also used themes from other films/series, so it is not just Alphas/Continuum/Firefly that steal lines from other series. Just so long as they are only fleeting things, I guess they are OK.
I don't like it when exact copies are made, such as when an actor by the same name, with a floor view of a squeaking trolley approaching the green melons gets pretty close to stealing, as opposed to just a fleeting reference.

I'll tell you why.
I thought Allison From Palmdale was excellent, and as someone else said, worthy of an oscar.
If Alphas can match something like that, then perhaps they might have more of a right to steal other people's scripts?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or is Alphas just a silly show and I should not take it so seriousy? (That's just a joke BTW).

The props guys, the visual effects guys and the writers, especially in genre tv shows, have all the same background and are fans of the same stuff; i don't mind when they put references to classics like 'Forbidden Planet' or when TSCC puts mandatory references to Terminator.

I didn't highlighed the similarities between the scene in Alphas season 2 opening and Allison from Palmdale because i was not 100% sure but now that the writers have made this Terminator-themed episode, i don't think it's a coincidence.
Alphas writers may have stolen a scene or two but they offer so much each week in terms of creativity, drama, character development and action scenes that they are forgiven. One could write two pages simply on the choice of music used in an episode of Alphas. I notice and report here one percent of what the writers have put on the screen.

I borrow myself formulas from members of the Summer Glau Wiki that i use in other platforms to promote the Wiki (it allows me to write more quickly and in better English) so that i''m not in the best position to blame Alphas's writers wink

Date: Wednesday, 2012 Oct 10, 15:05 GMT | Message # 45

Writer

Not all similarities the viewers notice in shows to other programs or movies are intentional by the writer's or producers. Sometimes its a cumulative effect writers, actors, director, even scene and costume designers, all of whom can pick up on one little reference and turn that reference into a theme. It isn't so much as borrowing others people work, as paying an homage to this other franchise that this group of people are also fans of. The biggest reference to Terminator was of course The Caretaker. Even the theme music for the character had a terminator-esque sound to it. Even the writer's made sure we got the reference to Terminator by mentioning the film. Even the other guy's Alpha ability of memory recall had a reference to Total Recall. The rest was either the cumulative effect process, coincidence, or Chris's over-active imagination. smile We'll never know.

In my own little #TSCC fanfiction, Reunion, I have references to other sci-fi that have influenced me over my life. Star Trek - I have scene taken right from the movie ST:TWOK. Star Wars - The first film, Episode 4 A New Hope. That theme pervades throughout most of Reunion of John Connor being the hope they've all been waiting for. Doctor Who - gets a couple of references in regarding time travel. Stargate - I had slip in a reference to it. It is probably one of my favorite franchises. And of course there are Biblical references and a few nods to Wizard of OZ, and comments on the morality of taking of innocent life, as was seen in TSCC.

Even if amateur or professional creator's of fiction didn't put in obvious references to other works in their stories, similarities would still appear. Sometimes they are subtle and other times fairly obvious. It is up to the creator to decide whether reference is so very obvious they need to make their work and homage by including a reference or mention to the other franchise. It would be a very rare example not to find a work of sci-fiction that didn't draw comparisons to other works. The only way to avoid that is go back to some of the first works ever created in that genre.

Take Back the Future! Save Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Wednesday, 2012 Oct 10, 15:42

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows
Page 3 of 10«12345910»
Search: