[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 2 of 10«1234910»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows
Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows
Joe73Date: Saturday, 17 Sep 2011, 16:28 | Message # 16
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
Hard to say if it's just a coincidence or if it's deliberate, indeed. For a better understanding, don't forget to mention in your post where the picture comes from please.

Oh yeah forgot that.
It is of course from the extra material of the TSCC Pilot, where John is hacking the computer to find Cameron.

Thats a window bird.

Message edited by Joe73 - Saturday, 17 Sep 2011, 16:31

The1RussterDate: Monday, 19 Sep 2011, 18:44 | Message # 17
Group: Writer
Some of what you are calling "Ester Eggs" is probably just the wardrobe and scene decorators collaborating on a theme. They always have to be conscious of color choices and appearance to maintain good contrast between characters, objects, and locations.
Things like the statue of Han Solo used in Firefly is a good example of an Easter Egg.
Sometimes we look but don't see. Other times we see more than what is there.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Monday, 19 Sep 2011, 18:47

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 19 Sep 2011, 19:25 | Message # 18
Group: Administrators
Quote (The1Russter)
Some of what you are calling "Ester Eggs" is probably just the wardrobe and scene decorators collaborating on a theme.

Of course.
A good example of this phenomenom is the use of colors in Smalville or in Fox's upcoming Terra Nova; see posts #4 of this thread http://summer-glau.com/forum/12-257-7241-16-1315042005
These are not Easter eggs but this is why i have given a broader sens to this thread : Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows

I have also in mind to give examples of camera moves used by directors to underline a point; i think this is important to give the viewers certain keys to allow them to decypher whathever message the writers and directors have put in their work. Using examples in tv show or movies allow to add screencaps (or movie file) which makes it more fun to read.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 22 Sep 2011, 02:46 | Message # 19
Since i'm lazy, i will reproduce a post made for The Cape 1.07 The Lich, part1 :

First the trailer of this episode to refresh your memory

We know The Cape creator Thomas Wheeler likes to play with names, this horror-themed episode is no exception.

1) Orwell said to nurse Netta that her name was Carrie Woodhouse : "Carrie" reminds us of the novel of the same name written by the master of horror Stephen King himself, while "Woodhouse" is the family name of Rosemary Woodhouse, central character of the best-selling horror novel called "Rosemary's Baby".

2) Conrad Chandler is in the room 237; well, room 237 happens to be the room little Danny was afraid of in "The Shining", horror novel written by Stephen King (again).

I'm sure there is other references to horror movies.

More, this episode if also full of references to religion and cults, too many to make a list.

Room 237 clip from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining

Message edited by michelangelo - Wednesday, 28 Sep 2011, 17:15

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 28 Sep 2011, 18:17 | Message # 20
Did Skylar (Summer Glau) helped the alphas team directly during episode 11 'Original Sin' ?

First let's come back to the previous hints that Skylar could come back in season 2 :

1) In episode 7 'Catch and Release', Skylar did not land in Binghampton and gave Gary a phone with special features, in particular a direct line to her.

2) In episode 9 'Blind Spot', Gary mentioned the phone Skylar gave to him.
People shouldn't be touching my phone. It was a gift, it's special.

3) In episode 10 'The Unusual Suspects', Skylar has been mentioned, when Nina was being interrogated by Clay at Binghamton.
Clay : You think we don't know what happened with Skylar Adams?
Nina : Helping Skylar was the right thing to do.

And now a new hint in the season finale 'Original Sin' :
Gary (the same who has a direct phone connection with Skylar) gave Dr Rosen the pen spy pen camera. And if you're not convinced it's a direct allusion to Skylar, let's see what Gary said while giving the pen : "Here, straight from Klauswerks" which refers to Skylar's electronics workshop supplier (as seen in episode 7). Then Gary uses his 'special' phone to retransmit the signal from the camera pen to all tv channels (see screencaps below).

Of course one could say that the team bought the pen from Klauswerks themselves but i doubt it considering the guy working there is against the governement. And the allusions to Skylar since her guest spot are too repetitive to have been made by random.
It's something rare on a tv show to quote a previous case. The writers seems to introduce Skylar's name as if she was a part of the serie; that and the fact we've been told she had a past with Dr Rosen and Nina makes me believe that Skylar/Summer Glau has definitively a future on Alphas.

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 28 Sep 2011, 20:04 | Message # 21
Dr Rosen in episode 11 'Original Sin' :
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

We knew from the previous episdoes that Dr Rosen was a fan of the rock bands of the sixties and seventies but he proves it one more time with this reference to the final words of Won't Get Fooled Again (1971), one of the best-known songs of the rock band The Who (which is also the theme for CSI: Miami btw).
This song, written by The Who's guitarist Pete Townshend, is a disillusioned vision of a revolution.

Another allusion to a rock band, in the pilot this time, when Rosen speaks to Don Wilson, he shows im a record of rock band T-Rex called Children Of The Revolution (1972).

Is this abundance of rock and 'revolution' themes from the early seventies announcing Dr Rosen's rebellion from the season finale?

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 08 Oct 2011, 00:17 | Message # 22
In the TSCC second season episode 11 Self Made Man in the Myron Stark fight there was a moment when Myron briefly grabs Camerons foot then she breaks free immediately. That was a bit strange so I started thinking and remembered T1 where Arnie-bot does the same with Sarah. In fact the sequences have many similarities with each other like the fact that the evil terminators both killed by a lift. So I looked it up.

Here is the TSCC sequence(EDIT: they disabled the embedding so watch it on youtube, the fight starts at 3:53 BTW)

Foot grabbing at 4:22

And here is the T1 sequence:

Foot grabbing at 3:19(and the similar part of the "fight" also starts there)

I think maybe the Myron Stark fight is a reference to the T1 final fight. Opinions?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Saturday, 08 Oct 2011, 00:21

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 08 Oct 2011, 00:46 | Message # 23
Quote (Blazius)

I think maybe the Myron Stark fight is a reference to the T1 final fight. Opinions?

This thread is a little cover-all, meaning you can mention real Easter egg or hidden messages or simply blatant references; TSCC being a by-product from the Terminator franchise, the writers have put deliberately many references. Some are obvious like the line of dialog "Come with me if you want to live" and some are hidden like Arnold's cameo i described in post #12.

That said, seing the killer grabbing the foot of an innocent girl is a trick used in every horror movie or thriller; just like when someone fell off a cliff, the audience thinks he's dead and suddenly you see the hand coming from nowhere to reach the top of the cliff. In the case of Myron Stark, my opinion is one of these tricks has been used but i don't think it's a clear reference to T1. Maybe if Cameron had said when cuting the cable "You're terminated fucker..."

BlaziusDate: Saturday, 08 Oct 2011, 01:02 | Message # 24
I wasn't sure, the similarities are not that strong I agree I just wanted to ask to be sure. Its just bugged me for quite awhile because in the Myron Stark fight it was a bit out of place.

It was obvious that Myron can't pull down Cameron like that because she is too strong. It added nothing to the scene but it was a bit too long and notable compared to the rest of the fight so I felt they put that there in purpose. But its an often used trick I agree so maybe its nothing.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

REGDate: Friday, 15 Jun 2012, 03:41 | Message # 25
Quote (Joe73)
Talking about In Jokes...

Summer Glau

Might ED209 be a reference to RoboCops ED-209?? biggrin
Im probably just reading to mutch in to it, but it is a funny coincidence.

that's a terminated scene from the pilot of TSCC.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 29 Jun 2012, 15:40 | Message # 26
Two Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles fun trivias :

SPOILER:

During Derek Reese's flashback scene in the future, we learn that Andy Goode was so ashamed of his involvement in creating Skynet that he began using the alias William "Billy" Wisher. William Wisher Jr. is a long-time collaborator of James Cameron, the creator/director of the Terminator films. Wisher also co-wrote the screenplay for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

He also made an uncredited cameo in Terminator 2 (1991) as the cop showing the photographs of the Terminator to Sarah (see picture below)

The1RussterDate: Friday, 29 Jun 2012, 19:04 | Message # 27
Group: Writer
An interesting bit of trivia why the word terminator wasn't used in the series until the final episode. WB had to pay a licensing fee to use the word from then current franchise owner, Halcyon. Josh Friedman lobbied for and got permission to use the word Terminator for the first and only time in the season 2 finale, Born to Run. Frankly, I'm glad he did. Never did it sound so good as used in an insult! :-)

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

REGDate: Thursday, 05 Jul 2012, 14:23 | Message # 28
Quote (chrisdvanne)
During Derek Reese's flashback scene in the future, we learn that Andy Goode was so ashamed of his involvement in creating Skynet that he began using the alias William "Billy" Wisher. William Wisher Jr. is a long-time collaborator of James Cameron, the creator/director of the Terminator films. Wisher also co-wrote the screenplay for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

He also made an uncredited cameo in Terminator 2 (1991) as the cop showing the photographs of the Terminator to Sarah (see picture below)

i did not know that! it's true what they say. you learn something everyday.

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 09 Jul 2012, 20:12 | Message # 29
Are Firefly and the Aliens franchise connected?

Not only did Joss Whedon wrote the screenplay of Alien: Resurrection but he also included an easter egg referring to the Alien's universe in Firefly, and not the other way around.

In the pilot "Serenity", Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) grabs a giant anti-aircraft cannon as the Alliance ships are bearing down on Serenity Valley. His view through the display shows this:

anti-aircraft cannon display in Firefly

You’ll notice that at the top center of the display is the Weyland-Yutani logo . It’s clearly the same as the logo that has popped up throughout the Aliens movies and which has also been an integral part of the Prometheus viral marketing:

Weyland-Yutani logo - Aliens

Source : blastr

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Monday, 09 Jul 2012, 20:13

HicksDate: Monday, 09 Jul 2012, 21:07 | Message # 30
Look at that! That is awesome! I had heard of this but had never seen it! Thanks for posting this!

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Easter eggs and other (hidden) messages in movies/tv shows
Page 2 of 10«1234910»
Search: