menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
chrisdvanne_ Post # 91 | Wednesday, 12 Sep 2012 - 09:05
Group: Administrators
Quote (robbo)
very surprised that leven rambin was in it

Leven Rambin arrives at the "Hunger Games" Premiere on March 12, 2012 in Los Angeles - HQ photo

Leven Rambin arrives at the

Side note : i don't mind you not using capital letters but could you put a few punctuation marks to help read your messages. Thank you smile

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 92 | Thursday, 13 Sep 2012 - 16:31
Quote (robbo)
the movie seems to be focusing a lot on jennifer lawrence

Yes it does.

I hardly recognized the The Hunger Games warrior with her new dark style, dark tresses and deep raspberry red lips, at the Toronto Film Festival's Silver Linings Playbook premiere.

Jennifer Lawrence at the Toronto Film Festival's <i>Silver Linings Playbook</i> premiere

chrisdvanne_ Post # 93 | Tuesday, 02 Oct 2012 - 16:21
Movies Blog MTV gives us 5 reasons to watch 'Looper'. One of them is the presence of Garret Dillahunt, even if he has only a small role in the movie.

Garret Dillahunt
Dillahunt has made a career for himself as a character actor who enters a wide variety of films in small roles, never stays around for too long, but always makes them immeasurably better movies. "Looper" is no exception. That is all we'll say.

Read more : 'Looper': Five Reasons You Have To See It

robbo Post # 94 | Wednesday, 03 Oct 2012 - 02:42
Group: Friends
Been a While Since ive Heard ,Garret Dillahunt, Name Mentioned,Its Nice he is Still Getting Small Parts or as You call it Minor Roles in movies, feels as tho never seen him for ages,i think he is a fantastic actor,and deserves a lot of respect ,outstanding in TSCC,so good luck garret dillahunt with his role in his new movie,definitely keep an eye out for it happy

chrisdvanne_ Post # 95 | Wednesday, 03 Oct 2012 - 09:07
Quote (robbo)
Been a While Since ive Heard ,Garret Dillahunt, Name Mentioned

I uploaded a photo of him at the 2012 Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards in the forum.

Alex Post # 96 | Thursday, 04 Oct 2012 - 01:59
Group: Bloggers
Looper Review

Tweet by Joan AllenI recently saw the film Looper. It is a very interesting story about time travel and the importance of family in shaping character. Of course, whenever a Summer Glau fan thinks about time travel, what comes to mind is TSCC. Time Travel is a vital component of the story and is indispensable to its plausibility just as it was in TSCC. Before I go any further though with this review, though, I highly recommend that you see the film Loopers. This is a challenging film with a story that unfolds in completely unexpected ways. You will need to see it more than once. For what it is worth, key details that would spoil the film have been left out of this article.

In addition to both stories using time travel as a key element, the film Loopers virtually parallels all aspects of the Terminator canon but at the same time inverts many of these aspects. The villain in Loopers is a brilliant, precocious child who is a very powerful telekinetic that is exposed to events that leave him emotionally scarred and set on a path of vengeance. He is forced to watch his mother being murdered by a looper. His power was inherited from his mother, also a telekinetic of great power but not as great as her son. In fact, in the present day setting of the film, about 10 percent of the population has telekinesis.

Where this parallels Terminator is that we have an evolutionary change. In Terminator, it is computing power that grows and evolves to include artificial intelligence (AI) until it reaches the singularity when a machine is built by other machines and is, for the first time, more intelligent than humans. This machine, Skynet, becomes aware and as it assesses the cruelty and barbarism of mankind, it concludes that mankind is dangerous and must be destroyed. In Loopers, we have a telekinetic who has reached a truly frightening level of power that enables him to kill at will, even as a small child. Like Skynet, the child has evolved from his earlier, lesser ancestors but he too has reached a singularity where he is able to use his formidable power to kill, a first in his line. The inversion here is that the villain in the earliest stages of realizing its power is a human child versus a machine, Skynet, who in its first moments of awareness is able to declare war in cyberspace and set in motion the events that lead to a nuclear war.

In Loopers, the title of the film refers to the assassins who perform contract killings of people sent back in time by a powerful crime gang in the future who are the only ones who have time travel technology. Their reason for using time travel is that in their future it is impossible to kill people without being detected. So if someone has to be killed, they are sent back in time to a location where the looper waits to kill them as soon as the victim materializes. In Terminator, a killer is sent back to perform a killing; in Loopers, the killer waits in the past and the victims travels back in time to their death.

In the matter of terminators, there is an equivalent in Loopers as well. In the film, the armed gang that performs the function of a terminator is done by men called Gats. This term is another name for revolver and it simply means hired gun. In an unusual twist of casting, the most effective and compassionate gat is played by Garret Dillahunt who is also the first person we see killed by telekinesis. As an aside, the special effects in this film are flawless and the death of Dillahunt’s character is extremely well done. As an inversion though, Dillahunt is smart, sly, and compassionate and is completely unlike the cold, calculating, brute-force terminator Cromartie. As usual, Dillahunt gives an excellent performance and continues to be one of the most interesting to watch actors working today.

The term Looper refers to the assassin who closes the temporal loop by killing his older self sent back in time when he is no longer needed; each assassin is required to kill his older self. Ironically, the child is not only the father of the man who he will become (Wordsworth) but in this film, he is also his own executioner. Here, referring to the Terminator story, the inversion is that the terminator is a younger version of the man who is to be executed and not a killer machine sent from the future. Yet another inversion piled on top of this is that the younger man kills anyone who is sent back and has no knowledge of who to kill unlike a Terminator who has a directive to kill a particular person.

There are other twists in the story that are in stark contrast to Terminator. The mother, played by Emily Blunt, who parallels Sarah Connor actually abandoned her child to live a wild life unlike Sarah who was forcibly separated from John Connor and imprisoned. And once she returns to find her son, she becomes a farmer who has put down roots. Unlike the nomadic Sarah Connor, she is very easy to find by the marauding looper played by Bruce Willis who has set out to murder any children born in a particular hospital at a particular time who could be the villain.

Yet another inversion: Willis is wracked with guilt having to kill these children unlike a terminator and it is his younger self, played by Joseph Gordon Levitt, who has to protect the child that Willis hunts. In yet another inversion, the younger Looper fulfills the protector role played by Cameron Baum even though he is in the present, he is a human male, and he has no real knowledge of the situation when he is drawn into the conflict. His journey of understanding is our journey through the story. He is our eyes and ears unlike Cameron who never really told us all that she knew.

There are other contrasts and twists that make this film so like and yet unlike the Terminator stories but I am at the point where I will be giving away key details and spoilers. Again, I highly recommend this film.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Thursday, 04 Oct 2012, 02:02

robbo Post # 97 | Thursday, 04 Oct 2012 - 02:04
cheers chris just checked the forum, of the photo of him at the 2012 primetime creative arts emmy awards , must of missed these pictures when they were put on, some great shots, morena baccarin looks absolutely beautiful in both dresses, as does tricia helfer, as for garret dillahunt very smart, should take that coat hanger out of his jacket mind you, hes massive, smile

44sunsets Post # 98 | Thursday, 04 Oct 2012 - 10:42
Alex, awesome review/summary of Looper!

I was wondering whether you would agree that the Jesse scenes at the farmhouse are a homage to Cromartie in TSCC (specifically, the events in "Brothers of Nablus" and "Mr Ferguson is Ill Today" when he visits the house while John and Riley are home)? It could just be an uncanny cooincidence but I don't believe in cooincidences -- and it does feature Garret Dillahunt after all smile

FWIW I asked Josh Friedman and he doesn't think it's a reference to TSCC (or maybe he was just being humble!). I'll have to get the truth from Rian Johnson someday!

Oh and the water drinking scene in the kitchen is just a classic -- I could watch Garret drink water all day tongue

Chola: "We lose everybody we love."

Message edited by 44sunsets - Thursday, 04 Oct 2012, 10:55

chrisdvanne_ Post # 99 | Monday, 08 Oct 2012 - 15:27
Battlestar Galactica's Katee Sackhoff joins all female action film, described as the female version of The Expendables.

Battlestar Galactica's Katee Sackhoff joins all female action film

Source : Katee Sackhoff joins femme 'Expendables' at Variety

chrisdvanne_ Post # 100 | Thursday, 11 Oct 2012 - 12:06
Here's an interview with Lena Headey in British movie magazine Total Film (September 2012); lena talks about her role as Ma-Ma in Dredd, Game of Thrones season 3 and upcoming 300 : Battle of Artemisia.

Lena Headey - Meet the Baddie

Tweet by Joan Allen

KevinInEngland Post # 101 | Friday, 12 Oct 2012 - 19:55
Can't be bad for Lena. She keeps fit, does what most of us never do. Meets the best in the acting field and get paid good bucks for doing it. Oh how I envy her. She is talented too, of course.
BTW Lena, that's a bit rude you know.

robbo Post # 102 | Friday, 12 Oct 2012 - 22:23
lena looks a wicked dude, but at the same time she looks absolutely stunning, definitely sarah connor written all over her face, please warner brothers bring her back, for her favourite show tscc, somebody must have the power, and will to save the greatest tv series, of all time, tscc, sorely missed,

chrisdvanne_ Post # 103 | Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012 - 00:25
Disney buys Lucasfilm and plans to film Star Wars episode 7 in 2015, followed by ep 8, & 9. Read more at Fox news

May i remember you that Disney owns Marvel, meaning Avengers, meaning Joss. Does that mean we will see THIS one day?

robbo Post # 104 | Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012 - 01:49
wow just imagine summer glau. waving that about heads will roll, beware we have seen what she can do with an axe. so take cover and run for the hills, cool

chrisdvanne_ Post # 105 | Wednesday, 31 Oct 2012 - 11:18
Wow, Dredd 3D really tanked at the box-office, despite the good reviews i've seen online.

Production Budget:$50 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $13,404,892 57.0%
+ Foreign: $10,100,000 43.0%
= Worldwide: $23,504,892

The budget was not high but it has not enough 'big names' to draw an audience i guess.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Search: