menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
chrisdvanne_ Post # 76 | Friday, 27 Apr 2012 - 14:12
Group: Administrators
I finally watched the 2010 version of "Clash of the Titans", starring Sam Worthington and Liam Neeson!

Natalie Mark and Sam Worthington arrive at the Los Angeles Premiere of Clash Of The Titans on March 31, 2010 in Hollywood, CaliforniaNatalie Mark and Sam Worthington arrive at the Los Angeles Premiere of Clash Of The Titans on March 31, 2010 in Hollywood, California

The film itself was enjoyable, i like to be entertained by these type of action-packed, high on special effects movies and i was not deceived in that regard.
Of course it's made at the expend of the characters development scenes as said Blazius (as usual i'm sure these scenes were deleted in the editing room to leave more room to the action scenes).

May i mention that Sam Worthington is one of the most inexpressive and wooden actor i've ever seen; it showed in Avatar and here too. Curiously, it's not that important because these movies have such a strong backstory and such spectacular special effects.

The female lead, played by Gemma Atterton, was better than in Prinse of Persia imo but she still lacks that ability to make the audience feel for her, it's a shame because all these characters could use some drama which is the essence of the Greek Mythology.

Also it seems that a lot of modern blockbusters have borrowed to the Mythology the representation of The Kraken; Clash of the Titans of course, The Pirates of the Carribean franchise, How to Train your Dragon and even a mechanical version in The Avengers (see the latest trailers).

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Blazius Post # 77 | Saturday, 28 Apr 2012 - 00:43
Group: Friends
Quote (chrisdvanne)
The film itself was enjoyable, i like to be entertained by these type of action-packed, high on special effects movies and i was not deceived in that regard.

Maybe I should have watched it in the same mindset as you. Its just that I always expect something more when its about mythology. Bad approach with a blockbuster it seems.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
May i mention that Sam Worthington is one of the most inexpressive and wooden actor i've ever seen; it showed in Avatar and here too.

See? He used to sap out even my willing to live sometimes. He should be completely kicked out of business to be a bartender or something not cast in movies. He should marry Portman IMO. Nice wooden couple they'd be.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
The female lead, played by Gemma Atterton, was better than in Prinse of Persia imo but she still lacks that ability to make the audience feel for her, it's a shame because all these characters could use some drama which is the essence of the Greek Mythology.

This!

Liam Neeson is the best thing that happened in the movie IMO. I came to realize that he actually works really well when cast in roles where he is the old, wise guy. IDK if he can do anything else, but he works inside his comfort zone at least.

I found his outfit ridiculous though( why a silver knight outfit?).

And Hades as Dracula? Who made up this crap I wonder?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 78 | Sunday, 29 Apr 2012 - 16:02
Nice article on Garret Dillahunt (Cromartie/John Henry in TSCC) at the Hufftington Post.

Here's the introducing paragraphs of the article :

Sitting in the press lounge of the Tribeca Film Festival, where he was talking about one of the films he had in the festival, Any Day Now, Dillahunt noted that, when he first started working professionally as an actor after getting out of grad school at New York University, he did a lot of comedic roles.

As a result, it took a while for him to get cast in bad-guy roles because casting agents only saw him playing benign, funny characters. But when black-hat roles came, they weren't just bad guys but truly evil types, made to seem more so because the boyish Dillahunt, 47, did and said absolutely frightening things with a smile that accented his Tom Sawyer-choirboy good looks.

He did it particularly well as memorable recurring characters on such TV series as Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Life, Burn Notice and, particularly, David Milch's Deadwood, in which he played not one but two different - and chilling - characters during the show's three seasons.

Readfull article at The Hufftington Post.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Sunday, 29 Apr 2012, 16:03

chrisdvanne_ Post # 79 | Tuesday, 08 May 2012 - 11:33
In case someone was practising caving for the last two weeks :

Writer/producer Stan Lee arrives at the premiere of Marvel Studios' The Avengers at the El Capitan Theatre on April 11, 2012 in Hollywood, California

Quote deadline ()
Disney announced that Marvel’s The Avengers in just three days was the fastest movie to reach $200 million domestically and posted the biggest domestic opening weekend of all time.
That put the Disney film’s 3-day record-breaking opening weekend’s domestic cume at $207.4M and its foreign total at $447.4M for a global $654.8M in 12 days.

Thierry Post # 80 | Saturday, 12 May 2012 - 11:18
This is the proof that The Avengers costs a lot biggrin

The Avengers disasters

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 81 | Monday, 11 Jun 2012 - 15:08
Is Arnold Schwarzenegger preparing to make two new Terminator movies? at Io9

Multiple exposure portrait of Arnold Schwarzenegger posing during photo shoot. Los Angeles, CA 8/22/1974

Terminator 5
Considering how bumpy both the development process on a new Terminator movie and Arnold Schwarzenegger's would-be acting comeback have been, it's hard to tell just how real this is. But Schwarzenegger sure seems to think he is shooting not one but two new Terminator movies starting in 2013:

"I can't say too much. They want it held in secret if you know what I mean, but I will say that next year I will start filming it and it's going to be one of the hardest films I have ever done, I can tell you that already for sure... They have six months set aside just for filming, so I will be training and getting into the best physical shape I possibly can before filming starts. It does follow Salvation although some of the producers and franchise owner were not to happy about the job McG did with it, but they felt it was good enough to continue on and they want the fifth and sixth installments to be the closing of the franchise."

Again, considering how convoluted things have been with a fifth Terminator movie so far, and how many contradictory rumors have flown around, I'd advise taking this with a grain of salt until we hear a bit more. [Action Effects]

Like the author of the article, one has to be very cautious with such announcements and wait for further informations.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 82 | Monday, 11 Jun 2012 - 21:51
Lionsgate released a movie poster and two new images of the new comic adaptation version of the famed British comic book character, DREDD.
The titular character is played by Karl Urban, also starring Lena Headey and Oliva Thirlby.

Karl Urban attends

Official plot synopsis below.

The future America is an irradiated waste land. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington DC, lies Mega City One- a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called “Judges” who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge – a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of “Slo-Mo” experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

"During a routine day on the job, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with powerful psychic abilities thanks to a genetic mutation. A heinous crime calls them to a neighborhood where fellow Judges rarely dare to venture- a 200 story vertical slum controlled by prostitute turned drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and her ruthless clan. When they capture one of the clan’s inner circle, Ma-Ma overtakes the compound’s control center and wages a dirty, vicious war against the Judges that proves she will stop at nothing to protect her empire. With the body count climbing and no way out, Dredd and Anderson must confront the odds and engage in the relentless battle for their survival.

"Dredd" hits theaters in September 2012

chrisdvanne_ Post # 83 | Friday, 24 Aug 2012 - 09:42
Thomas Dekker in Catherine Hardwicke's upcoming thriller 'Plush'

Thomas Dekker is photographed for Marie Claire UK on November 18, 2008 in Los Angeles, California.

Thomas will be joining Cam Gigandet (Twillight) and Emily Brown in Catherine Hardwicke‘s upcoming flick.

Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight, Red Riding Hood) described the project as "super sexy about a character who's really pushing the edge, pushing the envelope."

Plush, tells the story of a young rocker who struggles to continue writing music while juggling the death of her brother and collaborator, a jealous husband, two kids, and a mysterious guitarist who will stop at nothing to become the most important person in her life.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 84 | Sunday, 26 Aug 2012 - 00:58
Trailer for Hitchcock and Hedren bio The Girl

A very squat teaser trailer for an otherwise very-intriguing looking new flick called “The Girl”, starring Toby Jones as old cameo-whore himself Al Hitchcock, has come online.
The second of two Hitchcock flicks due out this year – the other, “Hitchcock” features Anthony Hopkins as the horror cannibal – “The Girl” doesn’t so much fix on any aspect of the man’s career so much as it revolves around the goo-goo eyes he had for regular female lead Tippi Hedren (“The Birds”), played by the delish Sienna Miller. Psycho.
But that’s neither north by northwest, “The Girl” premieres on HBO in October.

Source : Movie Hole

chrisdvanne_ Post # 85 | Sunday, 26 Aug 2012 - 08:43
FX Pilot ‘Outlaw Country’ To Air As Movie at DH

Haley Bennett attends the premiere of A24's 'The Bling Ring' at Directors Guild Of America on June 4, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.Haley Bennett attends the premiere of A24's 'The Bling Ring' at Directors Guild Of America on June 4, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.

More than two years after FX greenlighted Outlaw Country to pilot and almost a year after the network passed on the Nashville-set drama, the pilot is making it to air. Outlaw Country will air as an FX Original Movie this Friday at 10 PM, following a rebroadcast of Oscar-winning mob drama The Departed. There has been no promotion for the broadcast, which is considered a burnoff. The version that will air is the final pilot that was delivered to FX after it ordered script rewrite and reshoots last summer. I hear the pilot came in long, at about hour an a half, making it suitable to air as a movie. This is a rare public broadcast of a busted pilot not developed as a backdoor movie as they normally never see the light of day. Outlaw Country, a crime thriller/family drama set against the backdrop of Southern organized crime and Nashville royalty, starred Luke Grimes, Haley Bennett, Mary Steenburgen and John Hawkes.

I wish TNT's pilot 'Scent of the Missing' could also find its way on TV.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 86 | Monday, 03 Sep 2012 - 15:42
'The Master' Premiere - Venice Film Festival

Saturday September 1, cast and filmmakers of the new film “The Master,” attended the premiere of their new film at the Venice International Film Festival. The film is directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and young actress Madisen Beaty.
This is the debut of the film and it is slated to be featured at the Toronto International Film Festival in September. The film will be in a limited release in the U.S. on Friday, September 14. Hollywood Mogul Harvey Weinstein (The Artist) bought the rights of the movie, and plans to launch it into the Oscar-season fray.

Actor Joaquin Phoenix, director Paul Thomas Anderson, producer JoAnne Sellar, actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, actress Madisen Beaty and producer Daniel Lupi attend The Master Premiere during The 69th Venice Film Festival at the Palazzo del Cinema on September 1, 2012 in Venice, Italy.

Madisen Beaty In Alberta Ferretti – ‘The Master’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

Madisen Beaty may be only 17 years-old, but she worked the red carpet like a pro while attending the premiere for ‘The Master’ during the 2012 Venice Film Festival on Saturday evening. She looked beautiful wearing an Alberta Ferretti gown.

Her rose silk gown with a tiered pleated tulle skirt was a great way to make her Venice Film Festival debut.
Opting for minimal silver jewels, the actress completed her look with tumbling strawberry blonde waves and barely there makeup.

Madisen Beaty In Alberta Ferretti – ‘The Master’ Venice Film Festival Premiere

Even if her recent sci-fi tinged drama pilot for NBC, 'Beautiful People', was not picked up as series, it seems the young actress has a promising future in Hollywood.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 87 | Tuesday, 04 Sep 2012 - 15:00
Funny thing about 'Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters', the sequel to Fox's 'Percy Jackson & the Olympians: Lightning Thief' is that two fellow cast-mates of Summer Glau play in it :

Nathan Fillion will portray Hermes, who was the messenger to the Gods in Greek mythology.

Nathan Fillion from ABC's 'The Rookie' poses for a portrait at the Getty Images Portrait Studio powered by Pizza Hut at San Diego 2018 Comic Con at Andaz San Diego on July 20, 2018 in San Diego, CaliforniaNathan Fillion from ABC's 'The Rookie' poses for a portrait at the Getty Images Portrait Studio powered by Pizza Hut at San Diego 2018 Comic Con at Andaz San Diego on July 20, 2018 in San Diego, California

Leven Rambin will be playing Clarisse, daughter of the God of war Ares, who will be skilled in battle and a perfectionist.

Leven Rambin attends Refinery29's 29Rooms Opening Night on September 5, 2018 in Brooklyn, New YorkLeven Rambin attends Refinery29's 29Rooms Opening Night on September 5, 2018 in Brooklyn, New York

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters comes to theaters August 16th, 2013

chrisdvanne_ Post # 88 | Sunday, 09 Sep 2012 - 01:14
Lena Headey: 'There’s something cooler about the geeks’ at The Telegraph

Lena Headey - Photo shoot by Colin BellLena Headey - Photo shoot by Colin Bell

Fantasy roles in Game of Thrones and a new Judge Dredd film are a welcome escape hatch for Lena Headey, discovers Ed Cumming .

chrisdvanne_ Post # 89 | Tuesday, 11 Sep 2012 - 19:05
Finally watched "The Hunger Games".

As i always say, i'm easily amazed and the movie was no exception; i enjoyed watching it, like a lot of others judging by its performance at the box office.

Production Budget: $78 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $408,010,692 59.6%
+ Foreign: $277,070,258 40.4%
= Worldwide: $685,080,950

The scenes in the chariots were cheap, especially when the actors were shot in close-ups; the rest of the movie was shot in the woods, with no big names attached to it; i guess the special effects took a large part of the budget.
But since the film was so profitable, i guess the sequel will cost $150 millions and that it will be visible on screen.

I was a little surprised to see that the secondary roles had very little screen time, especially the other competitors; we almost didn't see Leven Rambin (Riley in TSCC). I have not read Suzanne Collins's book but i guess the scenes describing in details the districts, the political system and all the scenes involving character developement were cut in the editing room, in favor of the action scenes, which is usual in this case.
The movie has been placed almost entirely on Jennifer Lawrence (Katniss) shoulders; although the young actress hasn't convinced me completely that she can convey a lot of emotions, i must say that she played her role well, probably helped by a good story.

If you don't mind being spoiled, meet the cast of 'The Hunger Games''s sequel at abcnews.

robbo Post # 90 | Wednesday, 12 Sep 2012 - 00:56
smile smile thanks for the bit of info on the hunger games chris was gonna watch it tonight but i thought might watch it tomorrow instead ive heard mixed reviews about this film very surprised that leven rambin was in it with it being such a big box office movie i would be very surprised if she had a major role in this movie but i will watch it and see what its like ive had a little browse through the movie seems to be focusing a lot on jennifer lawrence

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Search: