menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
chrisdvanne_ Post # 61 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 02:35
Group: Administrators
Quote (Blazius)
Have you seen it?

No i didn't.
I watched a lot of classics and peplums from the 50's and 60's but not so much from the modern age.
I willl give you my opinion when i watch the 2010 remake of course.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 62 | Wednesday, 01 Feb 2012 - 14:52
This news is not verified and must be taken with a grain of salt.

AICN reported that George Lucas has infused his long-in-development “Star Wars Underworld” live-action TV series with a “Terminator”-esque plot device.

Daniel tells us that one of the series' first episodes will involve a group of bandits acquiring the capability of time travel, and using it to travel back in time to stop Darth Vader from ever existing.

This is certainly in keeping with past indications we've heard about the show - that it would involve the "darker" side of the STAR WARS universe, criminal factions, Empire building, etc. While "time travel" is relatively new to the film and television canon of the STAR WARS universe, it's a factor that has at least been acknowledge/discussed in the franchise's "Extended Universe". As such, its potential inclusion in this show is not as remarkable as one might initially believe.

Some have already suggested that the group of bandits be travelling back in time to eliminate the whole Binks clan?
Why?

"Meesa find yousa's lackin' in faith disturbin'"

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 01 Feb 2012, 14:53

Blazius Post # 63 | Wednesday, 01 Feb 2012 - 20:38
Group: Friends
This is most likely just a stupid joke from this Daniel. Or if its true I won't watch this show thats for sure. Even George can't hate his own franchise THIS much, right? No, I think this is just a joke.

BTW I thought that the series production is on halt because GL doesn't find it economical.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Some have already suggested that the group of bandits be travelling back in time to eliminate the whole Binks clan?
Why?

Because Jar-Jar is the worst thing to happen in SW since the Ewoks?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 64 | Monday, 13 Feb 2012 - 22:16
Directed by Tumur (Wanted) Bekmambetov, and based on the mash-up novel by Seth Grahame-Smith (of Pride And Prejudice And Zombies fame) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is released in the UK on 2 August.

It sounds intriguing, i may watch it. Also the song used in this trailer should sounf familar to TSCC fans smile

chrisdvanne_ Post # 65 | Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 - 02:16
According to THR, Nathan Fillion will play Hermes in "Percy Jackson" sequel, titled sequel Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Sea of Monsters and based on the second book in Rick Riordan's best-selling young-adult book series.

Nathan Fillion has not the profile of a lead actor in Hollywood, simply because his movie credit, Serenity and indie movie Waitress and Slither, is very short and doesn't includes a big hit. Of course playing in a hit tv shows like Castle opens a few doors.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 66 | Wednesday, 21 Mar 2012 - 21:32
Another news on the "Percy Jackson" sequel and another Whedon alumn in the casting : Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor Anthony Head has signed on to be the new Chiron.

Chiron is a centaur who oversees Camp Half-Blood, where young demigods are trained in the use of their godly powers.

Film School Rejects 's editor Nathan Adams says about this influx of Whedon vets :

If their next casting announcement gives Alexis Denisof or Summer Glau something to do, then they’ll have gotten my money for sure.

100% agree biggrin

Blazius Post # 67 | Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 - 01:45
Quote (chrisdvanne)
If their next casting announcement gives Alexis Denisof or Summer Glau something to do, then they’ll have gotten my money for sure.

100% agree

Summer should have been among the first names on the list of cast candidates if things would work as they should.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 68 | Thursday, 22 Mar 2012 - 09:35
Quote (Blazius)
Summer should have been among the first names on the list of cast candidates if things would work as they should.

Please refer to the last line my first comment when Nathan Fillion was cast (2 message above).

Thierry Post # 69 | Monday, 23 Apr 2012 - 18:54
Some (very) good directors and movies :
- Bela Tarr (Satantango, 7.5 hours long film), Wreckmeister Harmonies) : A filmmaker from Hungary who directed very poetical movies, absolutely must-to-see
- Ingmar Bergman (Persona, etc.) : documentarist about human's life
- Geoffrey Reggio (Koyaanisqatsi series) : watch the music and listen to the pictures (music by Philip Glass)
- Andrei Tarkovski (Stalker, Solaris (not the (very good) Soderbergh's remake), The Sacrifice) : no comment. Beautiful.
- Peter Watkins (The Bomb, La Commune) : a radical anarchist movie-maker, worthwile
- David Lynch (okay, you know this guy)
- some others : Wim Wenders, Francis Coppola, Sofia Coppola, Orson Welles, Dziga Vertov, Sergei Eisenstein, Fritz Lang, Peter Greenaway, James Cameron (!), Terence Malick, Mamoru Oshii's Avalon, Federico Fellini, Jacques Tati, etc.

Highly recommended !

So much grace is beautiful and peaceful for the mind and the eyes.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 70 | Monday, 23 Apr 2012 - 19:51
Quote (Thierry)
- Bela Tarr (Satantango, 7.5 hours long film), Wreckmeister Harmonies) : A filmmaker from Hungary who directed very poetical movies, absolutely must-to-see

I think Blazius's opinion is requested biggrin

Thierry Post # 71 | Monday, 23 Apr 2012 - 19:56
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I think Blazius's opinion is requested

I understand why wink

more info on Belà Tarr : Belà Tarr on Wikipedia

Blazius Post # 72 | Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 - 21:01
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I think Blazius's opinion is requested

Lol, somebody who is interested in Hungarian movies? I'm surprised and flattered.

I'm always very proud if one of our own have the talent to show the world what he/she's got, Béla is one of them.

Well, what can I say, its a bit hard to see movies made here the same way as a foreigner I guess. My opinion was always that Hungarian films tend to have a unique tone and perspective which is very different compared to most Western films. They also tend to have a generally darker tone and they very much prefer to lament on deep questions and ideas.

But these ideas also tend to focus very much on national problems, politics and history excluding all else so I guess you'll need to have contextual knowledge if you want to understand them truly( but understanding them truly is not always that great which is why I myself quit watching them sad )

I say give them a try if you want something unique but not necessary happy. Of course there are more lighthearted and even humorous pieces too, but Hungarian humour is also something you have to understand smile

Thierry Post # 73 | Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 - 21:29
Thanks for your interesting comment, dear Blazius...
Of course, there is a specific perception of the "national" cinema.... Even if I went to Hungary, and not only to Budapest, but also to Debrecen, I could feel a (very) little bit of the ambiance put into films by Béla Tarr. I think it is more that way with his old films, like "Outsiders" (1980s), here it is really a big difference of perception, between what the filmmaker wants to express and how it is considered, especially by a Western audience.

Neverthless, I really have been shocked by Satantango and Wreckmeister's Harmonies, I could not see another movie for some months : everything was said, that's exactly what Béla Tarr meant after what he called his last film "The Turin Horse" released this year (I haven't seen it...). It is this kind of unforgettable masterpieces that I especially like.

Blazius Post # 74 | Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 - 22:06
Quote (Thierry)
Of course, there is a specific perception of the "national" cinema.... Even if I went to Hungary, and not only to Budapest, but also to Debrecen, I could feel a (very) little bit of the ambiance put into films by Béla Tarr.

Yeah, but as I said its sometimes a blessing, sometimes a curse. For instance if filmakers bring up a historical theme which is fixated in that period and laments on the great questions of society then it can quickly become a bit more troubling for me especially if its about WW2 or the Soviet occupation. While for a Western it may be just an exotic trip to a new piece of history( especially if somebody is very far from here).

Even if the story is about something else the heavy, depressing tone remains, with sometimes troubling conclusions so you must appreciate this kind of tone to get anything out of it. Of course this tone has social and historical reasons and can also be found very prominently in literature too.

For me its not really enjoyable since to a degree it represents our general state of mind too and it can get tiresome for this reason, to see your own fears confirmed on the screen. So I think many Hungarians like me tend to have an escapist policy instead and find joy in other countries movies and such rather than their own. Its not that I don't appreciate our art above all, its juts a special case IMO, when the art gets a tad bit too personal( or I'm just too fragile IDK)

Also, the real Hungarian life and society starts outside of Budapest BTW, foreigners often think that if they see BP they know all about the country. Thats not true, BP is almost like a country of its own( just a protip biggrin .

Thierry Post # 75 | Tuesday, 24 Apr 2012 - 22:14
I totally agree with you, Blazius.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Search: