menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
chrisdvanne_ Post # 46 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 22:49
Group: Administrators
Quote (termi-ninja-tor)
Summer's face is very expressive. Her ability to look different is at the same level as Jim Carrey. Another Red Wiki member made an album of Summer's portraits with portraits of other actresses that look somewhat alike:

Some good examples indeed; but not to the level of Summer/Olivia imo. When Cowboy & Aliens was released, i kept seing people on twitter confusing them.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Blazius Post # 47 | Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 - 01:14
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
I usually don't care about an actor's private life or how he behaves outside the set of movies or tv shows; i admire Harrison Ford or Bruce Willis for their career for example but i don't care about how they are in reality (i know bad example because you don't hear that much about them on gossip magazines).
Maybe it's precisely why Summer is so captivating for someone who has the curiosity to look at the person behind the actress, and why i'm fascinated by her.

Los angeles is the best place for an actor who wants to be seen in public and hope to get advertised in magazines; but we cannot say that Summer is that type. Each of her apparition in public is precious because relatively rare and each time we're amazed by such genuineness ans sweetness. That's something i never grow tired of.

Neither am I interested in her personal life. I'm curious trough what kind of person she is, what drives her, what makes her so good.

We can only judge her by her public appearances, comments from other people or even the patterns she follows during her work. From what we see she is a strong willed, talented but humble and very kind person with strong morality. She is also very genuine and never pretends that she is better than she really is(she even overdoes it and sometimes doesn't realize how good she is)

Of course she must have faults too, she is a human being like you and me(I think). She can be angry, jealous, even cruel like every human. But I think that she would be the first to admit her faults and thats why she is great. And the example she provides to the public is what really matters and her example leaves nothing to be desired to say at least( in my opinion nobody has ever had so adorable and respectable personality as Summer in Hollywood male or female)

Quote (michelangelo)
As for the fanbase, to be honest, i think the format of the Wiki allows more detailed debate than Reddit or Twitter or any social network. I cannot say for sure that Olivia's fans have not interresting debate on a fansite.
Again i think this is the specificity of this Wiki to allow every sort of interaction among fans, wheter they feel the need to develop an idea or just appreciate a nice picture or video.

I see no reason why they couldn't have more detailed debates on Reddit. Everybody can create treads and posts in it as they can here. Of course the Wiki has more organized collection of treads because we have a regular forum section here. As for Olivias fanbase, there are fans of actresses who see a hottie in the actress and those who see an artist. Even Summer has both kind of admirers but I think that Summer has way more of the latter kind of fans( I think everybody on this Wiki is of the second type for example) than Olivia.

BTW I checked a few Olivia themed fansite and I strangely couldn't find any forum. Is it just me being too tired 'cause its late or they don't have one?

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 11 Aug 2011, 01:57

chrisdvanne_ Post # 48 | Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 - 06:47
For you and all the lurkers that may have missed it, check the link Devo provided a few days ago and the following comments; it gives an insightful look at Summer's personality.
Freaks and Geeks – My Weekend at #CalgaryExpo #ccee

Summer Glau was compared to a Disney princess on twitter because "she looks, talks and acts" like one; i answered she may look like one because she doesn't say the word 'f**k' every two sentences like lot of actors do (it has to be taken both literaly and figuratively). Hence she looks 'out of this world' and definitively not mainstream.
More, this image of hers has not been formated by Hollywood, she is really caring for her fans and her sweetness is genuine. Don't expect her to follow the same path as Britney Spears : starting as a 'Disney princess' and ending like a b**ch.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 49 | Thursday, 11 Aug 2011 - 17:32
I say it once again, Hollywood Execs decisions are sometimes hard to understand.
You may remember the 2005 reboot on film of the successful tv show 'Bewitched', starring (the movie not the serie) Will Ferrell and Nicole Kidman. This remake was bashed both by the critics and the public. Yet CBS has ordered a script from Sony Pictures Television for a potential remake of Bewitched and the people in charge to produce that serie are...the same who screwed the film. Well, Hollywwod Execs have their own logic that is not always logical for us simple mortals.

Charley_Dixon Post # 50 | Saturday, 13 Aug 2011 - 04:25
IMDB says the movie "Senna" opens in US this weekend: http://www.imdb.com/nowplaying/2011/08/#row_tt1424432. Unfortunately I was not able to find any cinema that shows it around a place where I live. sad It looks like I have to wait until October 10th (according to http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6974).

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 51 | Saturday, 13 Aug 2011 - 07:30
Quote (Charley_Dixon)
IMDB says the movie "Senna" opens in US this weekend: http://www.imdb.com/nowplaying/2011/08/#row_tt1424432. Unfortunately I was not able to find any cinema that shows it around a place where I live. It looks like I have to wait until October 10th (according to http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6974 ).

I wonder if it's the same documentary made for television about 10 years ago or something new; i saw the trailer but couldn't conclude.

Charley_Dixon Post # 52 | Saturday, 13 Aug 2011 - 19:43
Quote (michelangelo)
I wonder if it's the same documentary made for television about 10 years ago or something new; i saw the trailer but couldn't conclude.

No, it's a new movie released in 2010. But because that movie is basically a collection of archived footage you probably have already seen a big part of it smile

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 53 | Saturday, 13 Aug 2011 - 19:48
You're right Charley.

I think both films (one for tv , one for big screen) insist upon the man himself and they carry a lot of emotional response from the audience.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 54 | Friday, 19 Aug 2011 - 19:07
I'm a fan of science fiction, vampires and Kate Beckinsale in pvc.
Not an oscar wining movie i admit it but who cares.

UNDERWORLD : AWAKENING (2012) Kate Beckinsale HD TRAILER

chrisdvanne_ Post # 55 | Friday, 13 Jan 2012 - 10:00
If you recently watched a movie and would like to share it with us, this is the thread smile

Charley_Dixon Post # 56 | Saturday, 14 Jan 2012 - 15:34
Quote (chrisdvanne)
If you recently watched a movie and would like to share it with us, this is the thread smile

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, chrisdvanne. I recently watched "Journey to the Edge of the Universe":

Watch it on YouTube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 57 | Monday, 16 Jan 2012 - 22:20
One of my favorite movies of all time : The Creature of the Black Lagoon (1954)

A scientific expedition searching for fossils along the Amazon River discover a prehistoric Gill-Man in the legendary Black Lagoon. The explorers capture the mysterious creature, but it breaks free. The Gill-Man returns to kidnap the lovely Kay, fiancée of one of the expedition, with whom it has fallen in love.

Sure, the creature is a bit of a voyeur (see the amazing scene where he stalks Julie Adams underwater) but this type of movie was really popular at the time and this one is one of the best.

Blazius Post # 58 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 18:09
On the other hand I made a small trip in the world of modern blockbusters with Clash of the Titans recently.

Sam Worthington plays Perseus and Liam Neeson plays Zeus in it.

It had a pretty scenery and cool looking CGI monsters and creatures which may be the only positive thing about the film.

Story and character development was almost non-existent. Its very loosely based on the Andromeda legend from Greek mythology so the setting would have been a good staring point. But the constant action scenes are eating up the screentime nicely so you won't get much from it.

This was the most detrimental in the end because Andromeda herself was a so underdeveloped character that you didn't really care if she becomes Kraken food or not making the ending anti-climatic. I also didn't like how Hades just popped in himself into the human party for a "friendly" chit-chat with the mortals. Gods are supposed to be bigger than life, impressive and mysterious entities, which is the best portrayed if they interact with the mortal world indirectly using emissaries or something like that. It ruined their feel in this movie.

So all in all it was a good action movie for those who like that and the mythology elements which were still there despite the limitations made this actually more enjoyable than T4 IMO ( another Worthington marvel) but it won't make fans of clever stories happy at all.

I'm sad that this is what became a standard for mainstream movies sad

chrisdvanne_ Post # 59 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 18:38
This movie is on my list of to watch films.
As you may know, i'm a lover of the Golden Age of Hollywwod (and even the time before that) and this is why the reference movie when it comes to greek mythology will always be Jason and the Argonauts (1963).
Jason and the Argonauts is a 1963 Columbia Pictures fantasy feature film starring Todd Armstrong as the titular mythical Greek hero in a story about his quest for the Golden Fleece. Directed by Don Chaffey in collaboration with stop motion animation expert Ray Harryhausen, the film is noted for its stop-motion creatures.

Side note : Ray Harryhausen last main feature film was precisely the 1981's version of Clash of the Titans.

Blazius Post # 60 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 02:00
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Side note : Ray Harryhausen last main feature film was precisely the 1981's version of Clash of the Titans.

Have you seen it? I thought about that I'll watch that too to see if its better than the remake but if its not good then I won't bother with it.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
This movie is on my list of to watch films.

You could share your opinion on it too once you watched it. Sometimes I feel I'm too critic with movies but if you say it too then maybe I'm not (at least in this case) smile

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Search: