[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 3 of 38«123453738»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 30 Jul 2011, 08:12 | Message # 31
Group: Administrators
Quote (michelangelo)
When looking at the video and typing those lines, i begin to realize that "Cowboy & Aliens" was not far from Firefly; it mixes western elements and science fiction elements but more importantly they use a western language and give weight to the characters.

It seems i'm not the only one to think that wink

Website thefilmstage.com reviews soon-in-theater Cowboys & Aliens and make the same comparison :

Cowboys & Aliens

When space invaders roll into a settlement in 1873 Arizona, two wily cowboys (Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford) are all that stands between mankind and world domination! Olivia Wilde co-stars; Jon Favreau directs.

Firefly: The Complete Series (2002) Combining sci-fi and western elements may not be new, but it was rarely as much fun as seen in Joss Whedon’s short-lived but fan-adored adventures series Firefly. Set in a distant future where Earthlings wander the stars in a new brand of Manifest Destiny, Nathan Fillion stars as the noble captain Mal, who heads a motley crew of outcasts and castaways that include an enigmatic and dangerous girl (Summer Glau) desperately sought by the shady Alliance.

Don't want to sound like the obsessive fan of Firefly (wich i'm not) but it looks like the description of Serenity rather than Firefly to me.
And Captain Mal is "noble"???

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 30 Jul 2011, 08:51 | Message # 32
Side note : people keep confusing Olivia Wilde with Summer Glau, i don't know why wacko

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 30 Jul 2011, 22:30 | Message # 33
The movie industry is really unpredictable :

Despite all the hype i made in this thread, Sony Picture's comedy The Smurfs has beaten high-profile DreamWorks and Universal’s scifi western Cowboy & Aliens at the Box Office opening day : on Friday Cowboys & Aliens grossed $13 millions while The Smurfs grossed $13.3 millions.

At this point The Smurfs is overperforming while C & A is way behind expectations.

Among other explanations (less theaters but higher charge 3D tickets for The Smurfs), it seems that C & A missed to rally the young male audience.

Quote (THR)
But original stories are always a risk, not to mention mixing the Western and sci-fi genres. Westerns generally draw older moviegoers, and Cowboys has indeed been tracking best among males over 25, followed by males under 25, who are Favreau and sci-fi fans.

Cowboys grossed a soft $700,000 in midnight runs Thursday night, suggesting that younger fanboys weren’t rushing to see the film. Exit polling conducted Friday night confirmed that trend--a full 75% of the audience was over the age of 25, and 39%, over the age of 50.

Cowboys did lure more females than expected (43%).

It reflects perfectly what i said here on a previous post : "Kids (in this case people under 25) are the people that makes a film is a top or a flop. " (see post #21).

We will follow Saturday (advantage to C & A) and Sunday (advantage to The Smurfs) numbers but It will be neck and neck this week-end.

Charley_DixonDate: Saturday, 30 Jul 2011, 23:14 | Message # 34
Quote (michelangelo)
Side note : people keep confusing Olivia Wilde with Summer Glau, i don't know why

Maybe they look a little bit alike:
Summer and Olivia

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

GraniteDate: Tuesday, 02 Aug 2011, 11:26 | Message # 35
Group: Friends
love - !!!

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 02 Aug 2011, 11:40 | Message # 36
Quote (Charley_Dixon)

That's not fair Charley, you cheated biggrin

At least your sofware gives good results.

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 02 Aug 2011, 15:39 | Message # 37
It was close : Cowboy &Aliens won the first place at the box office this WE.

The scifi western finally took the lead with $36.4 million versus $35.6 million for The Smurfs; watch Harrison Ford's reaction on the set of the Conan chat show.

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 04 Aug 2011, 18:59 | Message # 38
First image of Henry Cavill as 'Superman'.

click for bigger size

Warner Bros today released a first photo of British actor Henry Cavill as Superman in Man of Steel, the franchise reboot that's being directed by Zack Snyder and produced by Christopher Nolan. Cavill stars with Amy Adams, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Michael Shannon, Antje Traue, Julia Ormond, Russell Crowe, Chris Meloni, Harry Lennix and Laurence Fishburne. Currently in production, Man of Steel is slated for release on June 14, 2013:

Source : First Look At Henry Cavill As 'Man Of Steel' at deadline.com

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 11:30 | Message # 39
You're going to see plenty of 'Avatar' sequels in the next years but the Avatar franchise will also probably exists under various forms across many platforms. Indeed, James Cameron has hired Kathy Franklin, a marketing professional, to develop the Avatar's brand "beyond the traditional licensing and merchandising avenues."

Cameron commented, “Anticipating the exponential growth of the Avatar universe, we looked for someone who could lead a team that will cement Avatar as a world class brand across all platforms and markets. Kathy’s experience, coupled with her drive and vision for what Avatar can be, made her the right choice.”

Source : James Cameron's Lightstorm Hires Kathy Franklin To Guide 'Avatar' Brand at Deadline.com

Side-note : search for the three words Summer Glau avatar in your browser and tell me if you see something familiar cool

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 14:06 | Message # 40
Quote (Charley_Dixon)

Only that Summer is 100+ times prettier than Olivia. Olivia misses the Glaupower entirely!

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 14:13 | Message # 41
Hi Blazius,
I know i choosed to provoke a little by uploading the first two photos of Olivia and Summer side by side. Then Charley added its pics (he cheated because he has an image recognition sofware to look for similar images).
Also don't forget that being on a Summer fansite doesn't mean we can talk badly about another person (which you didn't so far); and Summer's fans have also the right to like Olivia.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 14:44 | Message # 42
Quote (michelangelo)
Hi Blazius,
I know i choosed to provoke a little by uploading the first two photos of Olivia and Summer side by side. Then Charley added its pics (he cheated because he has an image recognition sofware to look for similar images).
Also don't forget that being on a Summer fansite doesn't mean we can talk badly about another person (which you didn't so far); and Summer's fans have also the right to like Olivia.

Disclaimer: When I write a post I don't write it as it would be a fact or the absolute truth. I just don't want to write "IMO" after every post.

I know that others may like other actors/actresses too and its possible that Summer isn't even their No.1 favorite. But she is always the first for me and nobody has even come close to topple her yet for me. Maybe I'm a fanatic I don't know but thats the truth.

I will try very hard not to offend anybody of course but when there is a comparison I will take Summer above everybody because I can't not to(I hope this makes sense smile ). Feel free to disagree with me and I don't want to fight over it I'm just posting my opinion possibly to make the forum more colorful, with different opinions.

Please warn me if I go too far by all means through because I know that happens to me sometimes even more likely than with others because probably I have the least foruming experience.

Message edited by Blazius - Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 14:50

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 15:14 | Message # 43
I said it hundreds of time Blazius, the fact that people have different opinions or different point of views is what makes the wiki interesting for us and for the lurkers. I like the fact you're so enthousiastic when it comes to Summer and don't worry, you will never be as excessive as Devo in that field biggrin

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 15:41 | Message # 44
A lot of fandom (and also other places on the net dedicated to Summer Glau) are just posting pictures of Summer and waiting for the compliments to flock; the specificity of the Summer Glau Wiki is that we do that but not ONLY that. Everyone can take a look at the diversity of the treads you have on the wiki.
I will reproduce here what i wrote on another board dedicated to Summer Glau (i think i posted here a reduced version): it was not wellcomed at all, i tried to be nice though. Was it because it was not well written or because i disturb by having my own opinion, i don't know.
I don't want this reddit to be like Olivia Wilde's
* I will show a visually striking example of the difference between Olivia Wilde's and Summer Glau's reddit : go to the reddit section dedicated to Olivia Wilde at http://www.reddit.com/r/oliviawilde/. The section is filled with links to photoshoot, magazine covers, picts of various parts of Olivia Wilde's body and i dare you to find a single post about her acting skills or the characters she played.
* One could say it's due to the differences between the fanbases but i would not be as pretentious to say that Summer's fans are more intelligent or educated than Olivia's fans; it's just that Hollywood, by giving Olivia easy on the eye figurehead roles, has formatted the fans to see her as an object and not as an actress.
* This said, i would not want this reddit to be like Olivia's, because i have a high regard for Summer's work as an actress. We Summer Glau's fans have the opportunity to appreciate a person who has proven to have great morals quality on a personal level as well as great acting skills. Summer has played two of the most iconic characters in scifi tv history, it's great material for fans like us, especially we don't have all the answers we would like to have since they were cancelled too soon.
* Summer's fansite reflects this diversity by tackling various topics; they're the place where collective projects and detailed discussions can happen and often the first one's to report something new about Summer Glau. But this reddit is a great place to take a quick glance at the news and spread the word. They're complementary. I'm glad to see that this reddit has a great range of topics on its posts and i'd like to keep it that way; i think having a balance between funny, sexy , informative and thinking is a great chance.
* Kudos to the moderators and the posters.

I have a greater idea of what a fandom should be and i try to bring more value to the content of the wiki (not that i always succeed though). But i'm convinced that you're a great asset in that regard Blazius.

BlaziusDate: Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011, 16:30 | Message # 45
Quote (michelangelo)
But i'm convinced that you're a great asset in that regard Blazius.

Thank you for your compliments Michelangelo! Thats the least I can do for Summer Glau to help improving the community dedicated to her.

As for your post on the reddit, I completely agree with you! Why Summer is my absolute favorite actress is because I see her as a fantastic person with superb abilities. She is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen but it seems almost little more than a small bonus compared to the soul the beautiful body contains. The truth is that I respect Summer more than any other actress, even actor in Hollywood.

Which is more important that I respect Summer as a person, I respect what she is doing, her skills, her personality. I can't say this about other actors let alone actresses. The problem with many actresses is that you rarely see them as a person because the industry treats them as objects, pretty, shiny things, which are there only to be beautiful but nothing else.

Like a pretty decoration in a house. Because of this the fans too treat them accordingly, you can't respect a pretty decoration as a person, do you? Summer is unique in that she has a strong enough will and powerful skills to aid her in shattering that image and she remained a respectable human being all along.

The unusual amount of hover hands are the results of her commanding respect among her fanbase even unintentionally. For some reason we Summer Glau fans are drawn to her strenght, we want to worship somebody who we can respect, a little heroine if you will.
This does not exclude the possibility that Olivia is talented for example, but its not noticable, her photoshoots and physical beauty outweight her talents and everything else and she becomes one dimensional(which is why I call most of the other actresses boring).

However the fanbase is just as responsible because they refuse to see everything else just Olivias beauty. Because of this the community also becomes one dimensional. The thing is that I think that different kinds of celebrities draw different kinds of people. Our tastes are different. For the Olivia fans its enough to see just a hot chick while the Summer fans would like to see an artist making art. Besides I think that we Summer fans are a bit artists ourselves at least minimally because otherwise we could not appreciate her art on the first place.

Of course neither approach might be superior to the other but they are very different and of course we prefer our approach to theirs.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Page 3 of 38«123453738»
Search: