[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 2 of 38«12343738»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 25 Jun 2011, 11:03 | Message # 16
Group: Administrators
For horror movies amateurs, the trailer of "Laid to Rest" sequel is out : it's called "ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest 2".
The producers decide to make a sequel after the good DVD sales. They've cast 3 former TSCC actors in it : Brian Austin Green, Thomas Dekker (was in the first film) and Owain Yeoman.

This slasher was filmed in November 2010 and the release date is October 31th, 2011.

Quote (fearnet.com)
ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest 2 picks up three months after the end of the first film. Tommy (Dekker), who's struggling with vivid memories of his first encounter with the masked killer, has been abducted by Preston (Green), who harbors a mysterious connection to ChromeSkull (Principe). Meanwhile, the technologically saavy slasher -- he videotapes his victims as he's killing them -- has set his sights on Jess (Michaels), and after the young girl disappears, Detective King (Yeoman) races against time to find her and Tommy before it's too late and try to put an end to ChromeSkull's blood-soaked legacy

Thomas Dekker is ok but BAG's acting is not that great imo.

Source : ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest 2 Trailer at fearnet.com

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanneDate: Thursday, 30 Jun 2011, 14:20 | Message # 17
There was a time when Harrison Ford image and name were in front of the blockbusters; alas that was from another time.
Now he has aged like we all do and he has gave way to the younger generation (Daniel Craig in this case).

Ford is the supporting actor and not the leading actor anymore. At least in Hollywood blockbusters in which the merchandising around the film is most important than the film itself; you cannot sell video games to the kids with the image of a sixty something old man (no disrespect Mr Ford).

Attachments: 6768663.jpg(101Kb)

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 01 Jul 2011, 12:11 | Message # 18
I'll try to redeem myself today by posting a tribute to Mr Harrison Ford.

Interesting interview with "legend" Harrison Ford and director Jon Favreau about the making of "Cowboy & Aliens"; this is like "behind of the scene" explained to the audience. I like that when they don't just declaim the marketing and promotion stuff actors or directors usually do.

You will see 7 short video focused on one aspect of Harrison Ford's work on the film :
The Hat
Serendipity
Human Scale
In The Story Boards (1&2)
30 Pages
As Written

Among other things, they discuss the choice of Ford's hat ; Ford took particularly care it did not remind of Indiana Jones (the fist script had him with a whip ??)
More, Ford was glad the movie was not in 3D because it would have shifted the audience from "the human" scale".
What ultimately convinced Ford to do the movie is that it's a western that just happens to have sci-fi elements in it rather than a sci-fi film with cowboys in it.

Watch also the last clip, which is Stars Wars centric and tells how Ford managed to keep Han Solo a bad ass.

When looking at the video and typing those lines, i begin to realize that "Cowboy & Aliens" was not far from Firefly; it mixes western elements and science fiction elements but more importantly they use a western language and give weight to the characters.

Watch the videos : Harrison Ford Looking Happy In Interview Shocker at SFX

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 11:27 | Message # 19
Romantic comedy "Larry Crowne" starring Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts flopped at the box office; it grossed domestic only $16.8M for four-day holiday from a wide release into 2,972 theaters (source : deadline.com)

Though people from the markting department know their classics : the movie poster of "Larry Crowne" is very similar to the one of the cult romantic comedy "Roman Holiday" (1953) starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck, where a true princess runs from the royal palace and meets a regular guy in Roma (Italie).
More, as i watched the trailer, i noticed Julia Roberts was wearing an helmet with the italian flag painted on it, while mounting the scooter. What a coincidence!

Attachments: 7553311.jpg(81Kb)

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 02 Jul 2011, 19:57

chrisdvanneDate: Sunday, 03 Jul 2011, 11:23 | Message # 20
Did Michael Bay, Director of 'Transformers 3' recycled car crashes scenes from 'The Island', directed by...Michael Bay?

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 05 Jul 2011, 11:23 | Message # 21
Quote (michelangelo)
There was a time when Harrison Ford image and name were in front of the blockbusters; alas that was from another time.
Now he has aged like we all do and he has gave way to the younger generation (Daniel Craig in this case).

Ford is the supporting actor and not the leading actor anymore. At least in Hollywood blockbusters in which the merchandising around the film is most important than the film itself; you cannot sell video games to the kids with the image of a sixty something old man (no disrespect Mr Ford).

Kids (in this case people under 25) are the people that makes a film is a top or a flop.

Two major films were scheduled on July 4th Week-End, Michael Bay's "Transformer 3" and Tom Hanks's "Larry Crown".

Of course no other blockbuster wanted to compete against Transformers 3 this wek; Larry Crowne was scheduled as a counter-programming of T3. Strategically, it makes sens. Alas kids decided otherwise.

I noticed in my previous post that the film flopped at the box office ( $15.7 million opening domestic) and now exit polling made by the studio migth give us the explanation : only 2% of Larry Crowne’s moviegoers were under the age of 18, while 5% were between the ages of 18 and 24. That means 93% were over the age of 25 (another exit polling gave similar results).

Having the audience match the age of the actors (Roberts, 43 and Hanks, 54) was the intention, but not to that extend. It's also possible that kids drew their parents/older siblings with them to see T3 and thus starved LC from young adults (18-35) audience.

I'm not saying making a kid-oriented movie is the key to success : Green Lantern was not the expected top.
Tv show Harry's Law broadcasted on NBC after The cape is an example of good counterprogramming : it got bad ratings (1.5 in 18-49 adult demographic) and drew mostly over 55 audience (like female lead Kathy Bates) but was renewed because between 9 and 10 millions (rather old) people watched the show.

Source : 'Transformers 3' Biggest July 4th Weekend: Now Tracking $416M Global Thru Fireworks; Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts In Holiday Flop at Deadline.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 05 Jul 2011, 11:24

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 18:23 | Message # 22
New trail if summer Glau wants to be the female lead in Transformers 4 : marry Michael Bay!

No kidding, how do you think Kate Beckinsale has been offered the female lead role for "Total Recall" reboot?
Very simple, she's married to the director, Len Wiseman.

She is currently shooting "Underworld 4: New Dawn" (set image below) :

DevoDate: Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 18:32 | Message # 23
Group: Friends
See also: Milla Jovovich, Helena Bonham Carter, Sondra Locke, Mia Farrow... I am sure I am forgetting a few. It seems pretty common.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 18:43 | Message # 24
Quote (Devo)
See also: Milla Jovovich, Helena Bonham Carter, Sondra Locke, Mia Farrow... I am sure I am forgetting a few. It seems pretty common.

Geena Davis formerly married to director Renny Harlin.

Same is true with french directors and actresses. Milla Jojovich was married with french director Luc Besson btw and they made a few films together.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 15 Jul 2011, 15:34 | Message # 25
Universal's The Thing, a prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 cult classic thriller, opens Oct. 14. It stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Joel Edgerton; Matthijs van Heijningen directed a script by Eric Heisserer.

Warning : scream queen inside !

<a href='http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-trailers/#/video/f749b83d-e1d0-4983-a918-a9c3914b03c0' target='_new' title='&#39;The Thing&#39; Movie Trailer' >Video: &#39;The Thing&#39; Movie Trailer</a>

DevoDate: Monday, 18 Jul 2011, 22:21 | Message # 26

I just watched "Age of Heroes" last night. It was a pretty cool movie about the British SAS in WWII. Starring Sean Bean and Izabella Miko who played Raia in The Cape.

Sean has to form a commando unit in order to infiltrate a German radar facility.

I thought it was pretty good for a war movie that flew under the radar. I recommend it.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 18 Jul 2011, 22:40 | Message # 27
Quote (Devo)
I thought it was pretty good for a war movie that flew under the radar.

That's a recent pattern in Hollywood : you have either the blockbusters with their mega budget or small or indie films and not much in between. The "middle sized" films are much seldom. This is also why a lot of movie actors went to tv shows this year because they couldn't find anymore roles in prone to extinction middle sized movies.

Mena Suvari (The Cape)

Vinnie Jones (The Cape)

Vinnie Jones (The Cape)

Danny Glover joining Kiefer Sutherland in Fox's Drama Pilot "Touch" is a perfect example of that pattern.

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 18 Jul 2011, 22:42

DevoDate: Monday, 18 Jul 2011, 22:52 | Message # 28
Quote (michelangelo)
Quote (Devo)I thought it was pretty good for a war movie that flew under the radar. That's a recent pattern in Hollywood : you have either the blockbusters with their mega budget or small or indie films and not much in between. The "middle sized" films are much seldom. This is also why a lot of movie actors went to tv shows this year because they couldn't find anymore roles in prone to extinction middle sized movies. Mena Suvari (The Cape) Vinnie Jones (The Cape) Vinnie Jones (The Cape) Danny Glover joining Kiefer Sutherland in Fox's Drama Pilot "Touch" is a perfect example of that pattern.

I have seen 'Stuck', that was another good one. Based on real events iirc.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 18 Jul 2011, 22:58 | Message # 29
I used to watch movies and tv show a lot but not much lately; having to stay in touch with the movie/tv business for the wiki helps stay informed though.

Edit : did Stuck" had a theatrical release or rather Direct-to-DVD as i suppose?

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 18 Jul 2011, 23:00

DevoDate: Monday, 18 Jul 2011, 23:08 | Message # 30
I can't remember. I do remember a similar incident in real life that was sensationalized in the media for a while. There was a bit of buzz about the movie.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits (All about your favorite movies and other tidbits)
Page 2 of 38«12343738»
Search: