[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 3 of 4«1234»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Actors and their Stunt/Body/Dance Double
Actors and their Stunt/Body/Dance Double
chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 19 Apr 2014, 00:54 | Message # 31
Group: Administrators
Ref # 30

Good catch, Matt!

The vast majority of Summer Glau and Arrow fans think that it's Summer performing these fights scenes in Arrow and they never fail to mention that she performed most of her stunts herself in Firefly/Serenity. Summer's role in Firefly/Serenity and in TSCC have shaped this tough-action girl image.
But the truth is, Summer is not performing her stunts herself, just like every other actors. Even Stephen Amell and Caity Lotz are not performing that many action scenes in Arrow.

Summer is now 32 years old, has no particular training in martial arts and even if she had, producers and time constraints during filming would not allow her to perform her stunts. For example, a stunt double was used in the fight scenes in NTSF:SD:SUV or in Hawai Five-0.
Regular visitors of this site know that Melissa Jin is Summer Glau's stunt double on Arrow. But stunts performers must stay in the shadow most of the time, so that actors can shine even more in the public's eye.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

MattMDate: Saturday, 19 Apr 2014, 05:24 | Message # 32
Group: Friends
I know they try not to make it obvious that they're using stunt doubles, but sometimes some people in the audience just catch on. If you ever seen the Mel Brooks film "Spaceballs", one scene pokes fun at how noticeable the stunt doubles can be in a movie.

Here is a video of the scene:

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 19 Apr 2014, 13:56 | Message # 33
I'm glad Arrow is not shying away from openly saying they use stunt doubles (Thanks Stephen Amell and stunt coordinator James Bamford).

James Bamford and NOT Caity Lotz!

Just me and a Canary hangin' around, lookin' for trouble......

Arrow stunt coordinator James Bamford and NOT Caity Lotz

Can't wait to see James Bamford and a Ravager wink hangin' around, lookin' for trouble...

MetalDate: Sunday, 20 Apr 2014, 23:00 | Message # 34
Quote chrisdvanne ()
Ref # 30

Good catch, Matt!

The vast majority of Summer Glau and Arrow fans think that it's Summer performing these fights scenes in Arrow and they never fail to mention that she performed most of her stunts herself in Firefly/Serenity. Summer's role in Firefly/Serenity and in TSCC have shaped this tough-action girl image.
But the truth is, Summer is not performing her stunts herself, just like every other actors. Even Stephen Amell and Caity Lotz are not performing that many action scenes in Arrow.

Summer is now 32 years old, has no particular training in martial arts and even if she had, producers and time constraints during filming would not allow her to perform her stunts. For example, a stunt double was used in the fight scenes in NTSF:SD:SUV or in Hawai Five-0.
Regular visitors of this site know that Melissa Jin is Summer Glau's stunt double on Arrow. But stunts performers must stay in the shadow most of the time, so that actors can shine even more in the public's eye.
Hmm a big ass post that I've made suddenly seems to not exist. blink
I've must've deleted the post in the last second prior posting.

Anyways what I've said was that I think that her 3 months of intensive training on Serinity is more than enough to be considered particular imo. Her performances in Serenity and TCSS is a proof that she can do better fight scenes than a martial artist (who hasn't had any filming experience) and even better than most pro stunts. 

The work of a stunt double and an actual martial artist differ fondamentaly however. 

I remember asn interview with Dave Mustaine from Megadeth, who has black belt in Karate and Taekwondo, and he had an appearance in a less known tv series called Black Scorpion. He did pretty well imo. He said that unlike in real life situations where you'll want to conceal your moves, on the tv you have to make them show more. So it's completely different universe. 

I am not saying that Summer did all her work and never used a stunt, but I mean that she is perfectly capable of doing most if not all stunts on her own without any fail or injury. Hence she is not the top star of the show and isn't social media crazed like Amell who posts tons of stuff, w/o which we probably wouldn't even known about the half of the stuff he actually did on his own. That being said it's unknown whether Summer would be allowed to post behind the scenes footage as well. 

It really doesn't matter on this show as both the artists and the stunts are doing a great job. Summer is more than capable and willing to do any stunt possible on her own, just like Amell. The thing is if they are allowed. But I think there's a chance that Summer might've done a bit more than what most ppl think she did. We have no certain way of knowing. I'll be happy if they allow her and show her behind the scenes footage of her doing some more action, but I think that her dressed as Ravager in the middle of the night pretty much guarantees that she has done some fair action on her own in the following episodes. wink

Message edited by Metal - Sunday, 20 Apr 2014, 23:35

MattMDate: Monday, 21 Apr 2014, 06:18 | Message # 35
...she is perfectly capable of doing most if not all stunts on her own without any fail or injury.
 I would agree with you that Summer could pull off most (and possibly all) of the stunts herself, but only with the proper training like she had in some of her previous roles, most notably in Serenity. Since Andrew Kreisburg, the producer of Arrow, brought up the fact that Isabel having several fight scenes was more of a last minute addition, it would make sense that they hired a stunt double to do those particular scenes since the double has more training in the fight choreography. If the writers had decided that Isabel was to have fight scenes from the get-go, I am sure that would've given them more time to have Summer train for the stunts. But with time constraints for a show that airs new episodes on a mostly weekly basis, a stunt double is seen as necessary for the show's creators to adhere to the deadlines they have in filming episodes.

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 05 May 2014, 21:33 | Message # 36
Summer Glau fixing Lena Headey's stunt double's hair on set of TSCC. Talk about dedication!

Behind the Scenes TSCC season 2

Watch more TSCC season 2 set photos in the Gallery.

Lena Headey and her stunt double on set of TSCC season 2:

Lena Headey and her stunt double on set of TSCC season 2Lena Headey and her stunt double on set of TSCC season 2

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 21 Jun 2014, 16:07 | Message # 37
TSCC stunt coordinator Joel Kramer on set with Summer Glau (serious) and Lena Headey (not so serious) during the shooting of the season opener "Samson & Delilah".

TSCC stunt coordinator Joel Kramer on set with Summer GlauTSCC stunt coordinator Joel Kramer on set with Lena Heade

And here's Summer Glau's stunt double Sonja Munsterman on top of Joel Kramer for a stunt in "Samson & Delilah":

Summer Glau's stunt double Sonja Munsterman on top of Joel Kramer

Charley_DixonDate: Sunday, 22 Jun 2014, 04:58 | Message # 38
Quote chrisdvanne ()
TSCC stunt coordinator Joel Kramer

Just in case someone did not know I want to remind that he was a stunt coordinator for "Terminator 2". He also was an Arnold Schwarzenegger's stunt double in many of his movies.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 18 Jul 2014, 22:57 | Message # 39
Let me introduce you Linda, who was Summer Glau's body double for the TSCC season 1 publicity photo shoot (see video below). Indeed, special makeup artist Rober Hall tested on her the extensive metal wound and there's a good chance it's Linda on the following poster, and not Summer.

Posters - TSCC Season 1

Watch more TSCC posters at: TV Shows > Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008 - 2009) > Season 1 > Posters - TSCC Season 1

Here's the publicity shoot, as well as two makeup test photos from the same photoshoot featuring the lovely Linda.

Summer Glau's body double for the TSCC season 1 publicity photo shootSummer Glau's body double for the TSCC season 1 publicity photo shoot

chrisdvanneDate: Tuesday, 16 Sep 2014, 12:24 | Message # 40
Here is a photo of Lena with her stunt double, Dorenda Moore, which was taken during filming of the TSCC pilot episode.

chrisdvanneDate: Friday, 28 Nov 2014, 15:09 | Message # 41
One of the biggest changes in Arrow season has been Thea Queen becoming a certified bad-ass, trained by Malcolm Merlyn in person.
This new featurette on Thea's training shows her stunt double Melissa Jin, who is a regular on Arrow, and has doubled for not only Willa Holland, but Caity Lotz (Sara Lance/Black Canary) and Summer Glau (Isabel Rochev).

On the same topic, read: Meet Summer's Stunt Double on Arrow

chrisdvanneDate: Monday, 01 Dec 2014, 10:32 | Message # 42
Wonder Woman stunt double Jeannie Epper with Wonder Woman actress Lynda Carter in 1976. Epper was a trailblazer for women in the stunt industry; as Carter explained, “even in the late ’70s, it wasn’t uncommon for men to double women for sequences that involved the kinds of things we did [on Wonder Woman].”

Stunt double Jeannie Epper and Lynda Carter as Wonder WomanStunt double Jeannie Epper and Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

From the archives: Jeannie Epper was born to be a Hollywood stuntwoman - her father, mother and siblings were all stunt people, too. In this CBS News profile first broadcast on May 3, 1979, Dan Rather interviewed Eppers about the hazards of her profession.

chrisdvanneDate: Saturday, 03 Jan 2015, 08:03 | Message # 43
Summer Glau's stunt double in Hawaii Five-0 is Renae Moneymaker, who is also the double of Jennifer Lawrence in "The Hunger Games, Catching Fire" and in "X-Men Days of Future Past".

Hawaii Five-0's stunt coordinator Jeff Cadiente posted a behind the scenes picture featuring guest star Joel de la Fuente (2nd from the left), Summer Glau, martial artist Keith Jardine (bold, bearded guy), Jeff himself (2nd from the right, making the "shaka" gesture) and Renae Moneymaker on the right.

Summer Glau's stunt double in Hawaii Five-0

Gallery link:
- TV Shows (incl. Web series) > Hawaii Five-0 (2013) > On Set

Watch Renae Moneymaker's 2014 Stunt Reel (H5-0 scene at 0:34).

Fun Fact: Renae is also the sister of Heidi Moneymaker, fellow stuntwoman and stunt double of Scarlett Johansson in The Avengers. Watch Heidi's stunt reel.

Stuntwomen Renae Moneymaker (L) and Heidi Moneymaker attend the 'John Wick' New York Premiere at Regal Union Square Theatre, Stadium 14 on October 13, 2014 in New York City.

Stuntwomen Renee Moneymaker (L) and Heidi MoneymakerStuntwomen Renee Moneymaker (L) and Heidi MoneymakerStuntwomen Renee Moneymaker (L) and Heidi Moneymaker
Stuntwomen Renee Moneymaker (L) and Heidi MoneymakerStuntwomen Renee Moneymaker (L) and Heidi MoneymakerStuntwomen Renee Moneymaker (L) and Heidi Moneymaker

chrisdvanneDate: Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015, 17:10 | Message # 44
TSCC 1.05 Queen's Gambit - Publicity still of Summer Glau (stunt double) and Lena Headey (stunt double)

TSCC 1.05 Queen's Gambit - Publicity still of Summer Glau (stunt double) and Lena Headey (Stunt double)

GALLERY LINK:
- TV Shows (incl. Web series) > Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008 - 2009) > Production stills/Behind-the-scene pictures > Episode Stills & BTS Pictures - Season 1

robboDate: Thursday, 12 Mar 2015, 02:40 | Message # 45
# 43 Tantalizing and stunning red carpet stuntwomen Renae and Heidi, just going of the shoulders speaks volumes of how these beautiful ladies in their stunt work are made of stern stuff. 
Very impressive stunt reel!

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Actors and their Stunt/Body/Dance Double
Page 3 of 4«1234»
Search: