San Francisco Comic Con
September 1-3, 2017

The Happy Birthday thread
By KevinInEngland

Juke Joint!
By Admirator

Misc. News on Pilots and Series
By robbo

The OFFICIAL Summer Glau Appreciation Page!
By robbo

Summer Glau at MCM London Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

Misc. News on Movies and other Tidbits
By robbo

Submit a News or Article
By robbo

Summer Glau at Rose City Comic Con 2016
By chrisdvanne

Summer Glau at MCM Belfast Comic Con 2017
By chrisdvanne

Photos of celebrities from the Glau-verse & beyond
By robbo

New comments

RedsBaron on: Memories of Summer in London - A story of dedication and fight against fate

Admirator on: Memories of Summer in London - A story of dedication and fight against fate

robbo on: Memories of Summer in London - A story of dedication and fight against fate

chrisdvanne on: Memories of Summer in London - A story of dedication and fight against fate

robbo on: Convention stories - MCM Belfast

chrisdvanne on: Images from Summer's final day at MCM Belfast

chrisdvanne on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

John Crooks on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Jimmy PK on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

Martin John on: First images of Summer from MCM Belfast Comic Con

New videos

00:01:17

00:14:30

00:03:40

New Forum Posts Members Forum Rules Search

Page 1 of 41234»
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Actors and their Stunt/Body/Dance Double
Actors and their Stunt/Body/Dance Double
Date: Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 12:15 GMT | Message # 1

Site Admin

Sarah Lane, the professional dancer who served as dance double for Natalie Portman in "Black Swan" revealed that "“Of the full body shots, I would say 5 percent are Natalie...All the other shots are me.”

Portman won an Oscar for her performance as an actress but the dancing parts certainly helps. The point is that Lane said that there was "cover-up" from the studio to make Portman's performance as a dancer look more impressive.

Hence the controversy about whether Natalie Portman faked her dance scenes or not.

We won't go into the percentage or full body against top body debates, that's not the point here. Imo, it is highly doubtful Portman could portray a supposedly exceptional dancer with only one year of part-time traning.

I can hear you from where i stand saying that Summer Glau wouldn't have needed a double for the dance scenes.
I disagree with that; even if Summer could have made 30% of the full body or top body scenes by herself, she is not trained ballerina anymore.
Though her extarordinary grace would have been wonderful for the role.

Source : 'Black Swan' double claims Natalie Portman only did '5 percent' of full-body dance shots in the movie at EW.com

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Date: Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 15:01 GMT | Message # 2

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
I can hear you from where i stand saying that Summer Glau wouldn't have needed a double for the dance scenes.
I disagree with that; even if Summer could have made 30% of the full body or top body scenes by herself, she is not trained ballerina anymore.
Though her extarordinary grace would have been wonderful for the role.
Source : 'Black Swan' double claims Natalie Portman only did '5 percent' of full-body dance shots in the movie at EW.com

I doubt Summer would have been very interested in the role even though she's perfect for it. There was lesbian romance according to an EW.com movie review, "Lily (Mila Kunis), the sexy new troupe member, is a free spirit with wings tattooed on her back; she becomes Nina's friend, confidante, lover, and rival, all at once."

I wonder if Summer auditioned for Natalie Portman's role in Black Swan? If Summer had gotten the role they could've used a body double for any romance scenes she didn't want to do herself. That would've been far less controversial than trying to pretend an untrained actress could pull off portraying a professional ballerina. This reminds me of the similar controversy surrounding the movie Flashdance.

Summer turned down a role in another movie that had lesbian romance scenes (I don't blame her, I couldn't kiss a guy if I was an actor). She's probably a bit too conservative for Hollywood, which may be why she doesn't get offered parts in many mainstream projects. That's a damn shame. She's a great actress, and a gorgeous and talented athlete.

BTW, hi everybody! smile

Ok, I'm done. Somebody wanna' come move this soapbox?!

Message edited by mr_mogwai - Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 15:04

Date: Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 17:11 GMT | Message # 3

Friends

I don't like Natalie Portman, she is a terrible actress and her politics are hypocritical.

She is not a nice lovely young woman like Summer. In fact she is a grandstanding pseudo intellectual blowhard who makes me want to vomit. Her career is proof that it is not what you know but who you know in Hollywood, because she is terrible in everything she has done... especially Closer. Her getting an Oscar was a complete joke.

And that is all I am gonna say about that.

Date: Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 17:36 GMT | Message # 4

Site Admin

Quote (Devo)
I don't like Natalie Portman, she is a terrible actress and her politics are hypocritical. She is not a nice lovely young woman like Summer. In fact she is a grandstanding pseudo intellectual blowhard who makes me want to vomit. Her career is proof that it is not what you know but who you know in Hollywood, because she is terrible in everything she has done... especially Closer. Her getting an Oscar was a complete joke. And that is all I am gonna say about that.

I'm not far from thinking the same as you, coming from someone who has a good knowledge of the U.S. cinema since the 20's.

But i took this controversy as an example to introduce a more generalist thread about the use of doubles in movies and tv and i hope you will continue to comment on the other examples, mainly summer-related, i will give in my next posts.

Date: Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 19:50 GMT | Message # 5

Site Admin

Quote (mr_mogwai)
BTW, hi everybody! smile

Hi Mr. Mogwai! Nice to see you. Haven't seen you in a while smile

Quote (mr_mogwai)
I doubt Summer would have been very interested in the role...

I haven't seen the movie but from what I read in this thread I totally agree with you.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Date: Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 20:15 GMT | Message # 6

Site Admin

Quote (michelangelo)
... to introduce a more generalist thread about the use of doubles in movies and tv and i hope you will continue to comment on the other examples, mainly summer-related

Speaking about Summer's doubles... Off the top of my head I can remember only one scene when Summer used a double:
Summer double
Anyone remember other scenes?

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

Date: Saturday, 2011 Apr 02, 22:21 GMT | Message # 7

Friends

Quote (Charley_Dixon)
Speaking about Summer's doubles... Off the top of my head I can remember only one scene when Summer used a double:

Anyone remember other scenes?

Hi Charley! smile How about this -

That Cameron. What a show off. tongue

Attachments: 8391346.jpg(363Kb)

Date: Sunday, 2011 Apr 03, 00:16 GMT | Message # 8

Site Admin

Thanks guys for your comment and the great examples! You got the idea of the thread.

The well-admitted fact that Summer does her stunt herself is a myth. It was propagated by the video of Summer Glau WuShu training on Serenity in which Joss Whedon says something like "the more (moves) Summer makes on her own, the better" or "it's just her against a bunch of guys, no heavy cutting or jump wires".

Date: Sunday, 2011 Apr 03, 00:48 GMT | Message # 9

Site Admin

Quote (mr_mogwai)
How about this -

Thank you Mr. Mogwai, somehow I missed that scene despite being just a few minutes before the one I mentioned. Also it looks like Lena's double is driving that Jeep. Not sure about Thomas - it's hard to tell from those pictures.

Another obvious double I recalled after thinking a little bit:
Summer double: Automatic for the People

Also I'm not 100% sure but it looks to me like that's the Summer's double in another Vick fight scene:
Summer double: Gnothi Seauthon

By the way, Matt McColm (Vick) is also a stuntman, so I'm pretty positive that it's him in that shot.

Date: Sunday, 2011 Apr 03, 01:57 GMT | Message # 10

Site Admin

Quote (Charley_Dixon)
Also I'm not 100% sure but it looks to me like that's the Summer's double in another Vick fight scene:

100% a stunt imo. This one of the scenes i was thinking about when creating this thread.

Date: Sunday, 2011 Apr 03, 05:52 GMT | Message # 11

Site Admin

Quote (michelangelo)
The well-admitted fact that Summer does her stunt herself is a myth

By the way not using stunt doubles is actually a bad idea. It's great when actors can do their stunts, but if they get injured this may have huge consequences: everyone should wait for them to recover, missing deadlines (especially bad thing for TV shows), maybe even broken contracts, etc. If stuntmen got injured they will just be replaced and no one have to wait for them to recover. That may sound cruel but it's a part of their job: doing the hardest things in a way that no one should notice.

Date: Monday, 2011 Apr 04, 04:32 GMT | Message # 12

Friends

The bank job scene in Serenity where River falls on the floor in a telepathic seizure gasping, "R-R-Reavers!" surprised . The person hitting the floor was a stunt double. In fact it looked like a guy. Sorry, no photo.

Message edited by mr_mogwai - Monday, 2011 Apr 04, 04:33

Date: Monday, 2011 Apr 04, 11:05 GMT | Message # 13

Site Admin

I highly doubts that Summer did herself the flip flap in the bar fighting scenes; but she did 90% of the scene which is amazing, a great performance.

Date: Tuesday, 2011 Apr 05, 05:13 GMT | Message # 14

Friends

Quote (michelangelo)
I highly doubts that Summer did herself the flip flap in the bar fighting scenes; but she did 90% of the scene which is amazing, a great performance.

With legs like hers Summer can kick my ass around the bar anytime! smile

Date: Sunday, 2011 May 29, 23:43 GMT | Message # 15

Site Admin

Heather Arthur (II)

"Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"

1. The Turk (21 January 2008) - stunt double (uncredited)
2. Heavy Metal (4 February 2008) - stunt double (uncredited)
3. Queen's Gambit (11 February 2008) - stunts (uncredited)
4. Samson & Delilah (8 September 2008) - stunt double (Summer Glau) (uncredited)
5. The Mousetrap (22 September 2008) - stunt double (Summer Glau) (uncredited)
6. Allison from Palmdale (29 September 2008) - stunt double (Summer Glau) (uncredited)
7. Goodbye to All That (6 October 2008) - stunt double (Summer Glau) (uncredited)
8. The Tower Is Tall But the Fall Is Short (20 October 2008) - stunt double (Summer Glau) (uncredited)
9. Mr. Ferguson Is Ill Today (10 November 2008) - stunt double (Summer Glau) (uncredited)
10. Self Made Man (1 December 2008) - stunt double (Summer Glau) (uncredited)

Source : IMDb

Message edited by michelangelo - Sunday, 2011 May 29, 23:46

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Actors and their Stunt/Body/Dance Double
Page 1 of 41234»
Search: