Firefly Online

The official funny thread

the Happy Birthday thread

Sending fanmail

Cammy on: Summer looks mysterious yet sweet in new photoshoot by Marius Luppino

robbo on: Summer looks mysterious yet sweet in new photoshoot by Marius Luppino

Fermi on: Summer looks mysterious yet sweet in new photoshoot by Marius Luppino

KevinInEngland on: Summer looks mysterious yet sweet in new photoshoot by Marius Luppino

enrico c039 on: Summer looks mysterious yet sweet in new photoshoot by Marius Luppino

chrisdvanne on: Summer looks mysterious yet sweet in new photoshoot by Marius Luppino

Admirator on: First images of Summer from Rose City Comic Con

chrisdvanne on: Dragon Con Firefly panel - HQ photos

chrisdvanne on: Convention stories: Dragon Con 2016

chrisdvanne on: First images of Summer from Rose City Comic Con

First Trailer for Inside the Box

Added by chrisdvanne on Dec 11, 2012 | 25 COMMENTS

The production team of Inside the Box has released a first trailer for David Martín-Porras's short film.

Summer Glau plays Sofia, the wife of a Texan cop (Matt, played by Wilson Bethel) who is forced to face a secret that he's been hiding from her in an effort to keep his family together when the local District Attorney (Stephanie, played by Regina King) comes knocking.

Check out this intense and promising video! More screencaps are in the Gallery.

Inside the Box trailerInside the Box trailerInside the Box trailer

[Inside the Box trailer]

As the production team and the director David Martín-Porras mentioned before, fans of Summer Glau will be surprised by Summer's performance in this new dramatic role.
Tell us what is more exciting, seeing Summer Glau in intense scenes or discovering what's inside the box, or both?

We can't wait to see the movie in DVD and VOD on February 2013.

Message #1 | Hicks | 2012 Dec 11, 09:05 GMT

Message #2 | chrisdvanne | 2012 Dec 11, 09:10 GMT

Ha, ha, told you it was intense...and not only because of the bed scene.

The trailer barely scratches the surface on the mystery inside the box!

Message #3 | Hicks | 2012 Dec 11, 09:15 GMT

Yeah, very indie. Reminds me of Michael Biehn and Jen Blanc's indie movie The Victim. But this one you take seriously. Very seriously.

Message #4 | chrisdvanne | 2012 Dec 11, 09:39 GMT

Stephanie (Regina King)'s smile to Summer Glau's character in the trailer for 'Inside the Box' is intriguing; not sure what it means...

Message #5 | chrisdvanne | 2012 Dec 11, 10:31 GMT

It's good for Summer Glau as an actor to broaden her comfort zone and refine new skills! Hard core fans like us know for a long time that she's capable of great things actingwise but casual fans may see her only as an emotionless (even if we know it's not true) terminator.

This is why this short movie is important for her career and why we support it.

Message #6 | KevinInEngland | 2012 Dec 11, 11:26 GMT

Of course we have to bear in mind that there is a fine line between those guys out there who are shallow and only want to see what Morena did twice in Homeland. Does that get her more roles in films?
I would hate to think that the draw in this film is not related to what the film is intended to portray.
Without Claire Danes, I'm sure homeland would be a flop, as we see lots of that kind of stuff.

Inside The Box is unique and I'm pretty sure Summer will draw audiences without having to go too far.
We all love her as she is, a great actress, understated and grand. Any so-called fan that wants more should settle for ... well you know.
(Summer, if you read this, if you ever come to England, wear jeans, terminator boots, ammo belt (if you can get past customs), and mauve leathery jacket. People will swoon. Believe me.

Message #7 | chrisdvanne | 2012 Dec 11, 11:51 GMT

Read my lips : there is ZERO chance you will see lot of Summer's skin in this movie.
People hoping for more will be disappointed (think TSCC), the "bed scene" should not be the main draw for the audience, as you wisely noted :-)

Message #8 | Cam | 2012 Dec 11, 12:00 GMT

Whoa-oh! This looks pretty interesting! Can't really describe how I felt when I saw it, other then, wow!
...And um... did Summer say the "F" word or was that just my imagination? surprised
Heh, well in any case, looking forward to this movie, and I'm glad to see Summer reaching out and doing other kinds of roles we normally wouldn't of expected to see her in.

Message #9 | Jay | 2012 Dec 11, 12:02 GMT

You said it Hicks, This film IMO does look dark from the trailer with a look of mystery to it. I know what Chris is on about when you said "Only as an emotionless terminator", Which is true in some cases because I've only seen Summer in TSCC, Firefly and Alphas and it's understandable as to where people get this idea from. But recently seeing Summer in Deadly Honeymoon, Help for the Holidays and eventually this. It's almost interesting to see this change of style in Summer acting most people are used to. But hey you can't stay in the same place forever so yes it is good for Summer to be branching into newer, bigger and better things, opening doors to other project as well. Hope the movie does well.

Message #10 | Respect-for-Summer | 2012 Dec 11, 12:33 GMT

So much tension and mystery it actually lights my interest near to the melting point. surprised
This is going to be a little like Deadly Honeymoon because of the mystery.It will be very very ver VERY interesting.
When I saw the trailer 5 minutes ago I was like "DAMN/WOW" but anyway it will be a GREAT movie and I will realy enjoy to see it biggrin biggrin

Message #11 | TerminatorEmily | 2012 Dec 11, 12:43 GMT

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!

This looks...AWESOME!!!!!

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Message #12 | Alex | 2012 Dec 11, 14:58 GMT

Bravo Summer! She is one gutsy and talented actress. I like how she can throw herself into a character and really sell the performance. I thought that she was brilliant as Crystal in The Unit and I seem to remember that she said she liked her character.

To be honest, I think Summer likes all her characters and she gives them a great deal of respect. Any good actor has to become that character, not just pretend, and the actor has to build a relationship with that character to the extent that she becomes that person on screen. And that is the strength of Summer's work to a Tee - she becomes the person. She establishes real credibility with her audience, assuming the audience is open to what she is doing.

I believe too that we as the audience have to accept the portrayal and with Summer, it is so easy for us to believe her work. I also believe that if people have trouble accepting an actor like Summer, or any other actor for that matter, in a particular role then it is because they bring some reluctance to accepting the story. It is not necessarily the actor's fault and with Summer, I don't believe it is her fault at all. She is a pro.

Message #13 | Jason_Connor | 2012 Dec 11, 19:42 GMT

It's darker than I originally thought. I am glad she's expanding her roles, but considering this is just a trailer, i'm wondering if that's what they want the audience to think, that this is more of a darker story than some would expect. It looks awesome, i'll definitely be getting this when it comes out.

Message #14 | TerminatorEmily | 2012 Dec 11, 20:35 GMT

@Jason_Connor: Yes it does seem....darker.....My mouth was open when they were kissing on the bed I was like "Is that...Summer?" I was shaking with excitement. happy

Message #15 | TerminatorEmily | 2012 Dec 11, 20:35 GMT

I really wanna know what her character will be like smile

Message #16 | Choupy | 2012 Dec 11, 22:47 GMT

The trailer is interesting. It give really want to watch the movie. Inside the box is different of movies in which Summer Glau has played to date.
It's really well for Her. I can't wait February ^^ !

Message #17 | HaveWeLost | 2012 Dec 12, 00:32 GMT

If you don't mind my asking chrisdvanne, how is it that you know this so far from the film's release? Have you gotten a chance to see it? If so, do tell! I'm sure we'd all love to hear your thoughts on the completed work!

Message #18 | chrisdvanne | 2012 Dec 12, 00:50 GMT

No, i haven't seen it.
The truth is that i spend so much time gathering informations on everything Summer Glau related that i know everything there is to know about it...and sometimes more when i'm in direct contact with the makers of the movie biggrin

What you see on the Summer Glau Wiki is the top of the iceberg but as an example, the exclusive interviews with 'Help for the Holidays' writer or make up artist took a lot of hard work and dedication.

Message #19 | TerminatorEmily | 2012 Dec 12, 02:31 GMT

@ Choupy : I agree. Febuary!

Message #20 | Fox012 | 2012 Dec 12, 08:01 GMT

Good To know... that would not fit her any way!

Message #21 | Alex | 2012 Dec 12, 16:58 GMT

In terms of the story, I think it goes like this:

1. The police officer, Summer's husband, has an encounter with an individual (leather jacket man) and both of them beat each other up. The officer gets the upper hand. We see him attending to the wounds of the leather jacket man (LJM).

2. LJM is known to the officer. They appear to be consoling each other after the tussle and there may be some bond of friendship between LJM and the officer. All of this is caught on camera at what appears to be a gas station.

3. Somehow, the officer has contracted HIV, either through blood to blood contact during the tussle with LJM or perhaps some other involvement with LJM. The officer could be either in the closet or perhaps is bisexual if there has been some sort of sexual relationship between LJM and the officer. I can't really tell.

4. The officer is keeping an obvious secret which is somehow related to something in the tool box. He is shown looking in the box and so is Summer towards the end. She opens the box and she closes it, perhaps indicating that she too is trying to hide something. Her hands are shaking while she closes it that could indicate she did not like what she found out. Throughout the times she is standing up or sitting down, she looks either confused or angry.

5. Whoever that young woman is who smiles at Summer, she looks like trouble and she is relishing whatever it is she has done. My guess is that she has seen the gas station video. Chances are too that the video includes a voice track as the sound may have been recorded.

6. The husband is fantasizing about another sexual partner while he is having sex with Summer. Either he has another lover, which kind of pushes aside the possibility he is gay, or he is trying to fantasize about another partner because he is not aroused by Summer (wow, this is a fictional story, isn't it?). In other words, the other partner could be a woman he was aroused by before he came out of the closet.

All of this is to say that there are several layers in this film, it is a complex story (or so it appears), and the protagonist (the officer) is really beset by challenges and he does not appear to know where his loyalties lie or who he can confide in. The character that Summer plays is a tragic one because she has been deceived, and she is going to suffer as a result of the officer's troubles to the extent that she may be ostracized by society or she may suffer sickness.

I am looking forward to seeing this film and I hope that it gets picked up as a full length feature.

Message #22 | chrisdvanne | 2012 Dec 12, 17:21 GMT

5. are you talking about Regina King, who plays district attorney Stephanie in the short?

6. The other woman in bed with Wilson Bethel is CaroleAnne Johnson. Her role seems intriguing, like the whole trailer.
I've asked her if she could tell us more about her character in the short.

Message #23 | Alex | 2012 Dec 12, 18:28 GMT

Yes. I am not clear really if she is evil but I suspect she is there in some official capacity which, to me, usually means they are evil as well as banal.

Message #24 | robbo | 2012 Dec 12, 22:06 GMT

inside the box looks very interesting, a bit like tales from the dark side, wouldnt mind seeing summer glau in a deep dark role like she seems to be playing in this short film, the raunchy side of summer coming out, lets be honest she cant goody two shoes all the time, we need to see the other side of summer glau, lets face it she is a classy actress theres no doubt about it. cant wait, smile

Message #25 | KevinInEngland | 2012 Dec 28, 17:53 GMT

There are a few observations that I made from the short but hightened trailer (with music to match). Sofia is houseproud and keeps her place nice, with pleasant pictures on the walls and fresh flowers. (Just like Summer herself would be, as photoed by a snapper at a market in Studio City).
We are led to believe that she is happy in her 'little life' and has all the ideals and things that a young mother would expect. She is probably tired, as it can also be seen that she has a baby (which she is holding when she answers the door to the lady DA). It's legs are quite long, so I'd guess a year old at least. The last thing a young mother needs is extra pressure in her life.
We are seeing it on the screen. Her husband has gone with another woman. Why the hell would he do that when he has his own wife? What made him go to another woman? Surely it is not the age old story, his wife has had a baby and now he does not see her the same way? I'm sure I know the answer; he is worried that he will give her AIDS.
In another clip, presumably the other woman is the reason for the fight. The cop-husband has to contain the situation, his job could be on the line. Perhaps this is why the DA lady has paid a visit? Did his wife complain. Did the husband complain.
Is it the camera observation outside the Gas station that made 2+2=4½ the reason she was called out?
The title itself and the glass of water is probably too much of a clue to discount as the ultimate reason for his not wanting to "fuck her before she shoots herself".
Why would the guy with the light brown leather jacket be peering and possibly yelling through a window and cause Sofia's officer husband any concern?
We know the film is about HIV and Texan laws based on fear of catching such a disease. It is likely understandable, that fear of these things can cause hysterical imaginings. Films on TV about killer viruses don't help.
I found this article and I'm pretty sure that this is what the film is based on: rs-jail/page/1430404/