menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Fermi Post # 31 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 14:48
Group: Administrators
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Yet i believe that this type of layout (transparent one-column calendar on image covering the whole page) is more suitable for studio photos (of actors for example) where you can choose from the start the lights, the dimension,...but not for fanarts.

No why? What you suggesting is that I should use a more distinct border between the fanart and the rest of the calendar. It will just make it look less attractive. That fanart for some reason should have borders while studio photos not is nonsense.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
I'll do some tests with the fanart i'm using, which has a complex design covering the whole page, thus not leaving much room left for the calendar or quote.

Just use a similar background as the one your fanart already has. You will be able to avoid the distinct border and have room for both the calendar and quote. Just like I did and also what you did in your previous suggestion.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
If the calendar was made to be printed only, i would say yes but in most cases it will be showed as separated images online; i fear that somewhere in the process the reference to the Summe Glau Wiki might be lost. Still thinking about it.

Maybe using a small watermark in the corner on the calendars published online

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Also the calendar should start from the top of the page, minus the room for binding. Similarly, the top of River's head will be in the way of the binding.

O_o I never thought about the binding that will limit height on the fan art even more. I will go back and work some more on my River Tam and fix that.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 32 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 15:39
Quote (Fermi)
What you suggesting is that I should use a more distinct border between the fanart and the rest of the calendar

No, your graphic and layout are fine.
I'm just saying that the calendar and the quote won't be visible in the dense fanart i'm using in my example; the only way to make them visible again is to put them on a strip and i'm afraid it won't look good. You will struggling with the same problem on most fanart in post #21.

Quote (Fermi)
Just use a similar background as the one your fanart already has. You will be able to avoid the distinct border and have room for both the calendar or quote. Just like I did and also what you did in your previous suggestion.

I don't understand. Are you suggesting me to use :
1)
or this (and work on the calendar layout)
2)

Quote (Fermi)
Maybe using a small watermark in the corner on the calendars published online

Good idea. I'll think about something small and with unique design

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Fermi Post # 33 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 16:58
Quote (chrisdvanne)

I don't understand. Are you suggesting me to use :

1)

My previous fanart adjusted

chrisdvanne_ Post # 34 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 19:21
Quote (Fermi)
1)

Then it means we will have full sized fanarts and reduced ones with a backgroud around (like mine); that's fine but we must be careful to keep visual standards for all the graphics.

Quote (Fermi)
My previous fanart adjusted

The composition (place of the various elements of the picture) is not optimum; the two main elements are on the same horizontal line. It would be better to have Summer's head slightly higher imo.
Here's how the calendar looks with the binding and metallic hook :

As you can see the binding doesn't hide too much of the calendar but the notch for the hook does. It's up to us to take that in consideration now that we have the experience from last year calendar.
I think that the ccalendar column could be higher than what you did; see what i did here : http://summer-glau.com/forum/6-352-11522-16-1326732436 (the month could be lower though)

I think it's better if you insert the month, the date and a quote (no matter what the font or text) because it gives a btter idea of what looks good or not.

Fermi Post # 35 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 22:46
Quote (chrisdvanne)

The composition (place of the various elements of the picture) is not optimum; the two main elements are on the same horizontal line. It would be better to have Summer's head slightly higher imo....

..I think it's better if you insert the month, the date and a quote (no matter what the font or text) because it gives a btter idea of what looks good or not.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Here's how the calendar looks with the binding and metallic hook :

Good info that we will avoid this year.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 36 | Tuesday, 17 Jan 2012 - 23:57
Quote (chrisdvanne)
I think it's better if you insert the month, the date and a quote (no matter what the font or text) because it gives a better idea of what looks good or not.

See what i mean!
Your graphic would have been perfect without the month and quote but with them, it looks like the Serenity ship is penned in a box delimited by the horizontal and vertical lines of the text and calendar.

There is plenty of ways to avoid that, here's a few :
I placed doodles with curvy shapes (similar as in fanart itself) on the text in order to break the vertical and horizontal lines. You'll notice also that none of the lines are centered on the page.

Here i removed the top line (the month) and placed it alongside the calendar and year so that the fanart is not in a box anymore :

Side note : i just realised that the graphic i use has not the correct dimensions (photoshop default settings fault) but it doesn't matter since we're just testing.

Fermi Post # 37 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 00:36
Quote (chrisdvanne)
See what i mean!
Your graphic would have been perfect without the month and quote but with them, it looks like the Serenity ship is penned in a box delimited by the horizontal and vertical lines of the text and calendar.

It looks fine to me.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
There is plenty of ways to avoid that, here's a few :
I placed doodles with curvy shapes (similar as in fanart itself) on the text in order to break the vertical and horizontal lines. You'll notice also that none of the lines are centered on the page.

I don't understand what you mean. The difference is that I'm using a bigger/different font than you.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Here i removed the top line (the month) and placed it alongside the calendar and year so that the fanart is not in a box anymore :

I don't think it looks good having the month there.

Fermi Post # 38 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 00:55
Adjusted the size and the location of the month name

Fermi Post # 39 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 16:31

The month placed in the same way as the year. I like the font Chrisdvanne used for the year better, but I don't know the name.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 40 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 16:44
Quote (Fermi)

The month placed in the same way as the year. I like the font Chrisdvanne used for the year better, but I don't know the name.

Year and quote : Jane Austen
Month : Galactican

Fermi Post # 41 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 17:58
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Month : Galactican

You mean "year: Galactican" it will not work using that font for the month name though.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Year and quote : Jane Austen

We need to find another font to use here too. It is difficult to read your quote.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 42 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 18:17
Quote (Fermi)
You mean "year: Galactican" it will not work using that font for the month name though.

Yes, sorry.
The fonts i used are just for testing purpose; including them allows to see all the elements of the graphic, even if we're going to change them later.

The important message i'm trying to deliver is that centering the elements like calendar column, year, month or date is not original, we should try to find a more original design. More, we should try to break the horizontal and vertical lines : this was the purpose of the doodles i used (see post #36) or we can use a semi-cercle like in the following graphic. You'll notice that the quote is not centered, nor are the month and the year.

Edit : one can also apply the quote on a curve in order to avoid horizontal lines.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on DVD

Side note : "Monday 21" should not be in red color

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012, 19:58

Fermi Post # 43 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 20:55
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Edit : one can also apply the quote on a curve in order to avoid horizontal lines.

No don't like the idea
Quote (chrisdvanne)

Side note : "Monday 21" should not be in red color

It is Martin Luther King Day a federal U.S holiday

chrisdvanne_ Post # 44 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 21:11
Quote (Fermi)
No don't like the idea

Every tricks i mention here (the doodles, the circles or the curved lines) are just ideas thrown in the thread; i hope we will find some that will be accepted but as i said the layout is already fine imo.

Quote (Fermi)
It is Martin Luther King Day a federal U.S holiday

Apologies to US readers.

I'm working on a logo for "Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013", instead of a line.

Also NoPowerInTheVerse told me she'll try to submit a graphic.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012, 21:13

Fermi Post # 45 | Wednesday, 18 Jan 2012 - 21:52
Quote (chrisdvanne)
Every tricks i mention here (the doodles, the circles or the curved lines) are just ideas thrown in the thread

I don't think the vertical and horizontal lines are a problem.

Quote (chrisdvanne)
I'm working on a logo for "Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013", instead of a line.

Then we don't need to have the year. Finding a spot for the logo might be a problem.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki Calendar 2013
Search: