menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
chrisdvanne_ Post # 31 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 15:15
Group: Administrators
I always try not to decide arbitrarily; each time i suggest something, i explain my choice. Glad to see the "fan quote" area lead to a debate.
This calendar should be as professional as we could regarding the template, design and art work. But this is not an official calendar, it is made by fans. I'm more interested in quotes that reflect our opinion as fans than article quotes. In my mind, it was not exclusively quotes from wiki members but anonymous online comments we agree with; of course wiki members are stongly encouraged to add one.
Btw the above "Michelangelo" quote is from Devo.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 04 Apr 2011, 10:21

Fermi Post # 32 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 17:14
Quote (michelangelo)
In my mind, it was not exclusively quotes from wiki members but anonymous online comments we agree with

It is a Summer Glau Wiki calender. If we going to use text the words should come from fans who wanna participate in the project (no rule that they must have an account here)
same goes with the fanart.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 33 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 17:23
It may be hard to find all the comments : i suggest to run a poll where wiki fans can choose among a list of comments.

Fermi Post # 34 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 18:17
You are not allowed to just take comments or fanart from people on internet to use in this calender.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 35 | Friday, 25 Mar 2011 - 00:26
I suppose a few tweets asking Summer fans to write a nice comment for the calendar and our own comments should be enough. This is not the main element of the calendar and the decision can be postponed.
I never run out of ideas : it could be quotes from the character played by Summer such as Cameron, Orwell or River.

Back to the main!

I'm a little confused right now because i can't decide between two options for the calendar section; i have pasted the two options side by side to compare them :

click on image for bigger size

The one on the left is visually attractive but a photo wall calendar is supposed to highlight the top picture; on this calendar the calendar section uses a photo too and the calendar board is constrasting too.
The second one was supposed to use tranparency to melt the color and tones and reduce the contrast but is less visually attractive imo. I have used the same brown colors as in the photo, which is a mistake that can be corrected though.

I have in mind to use 12 different background, all taken from the Esquire photoshoot.

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 25 Mar 2011, 00:28

Granite Post # 36 | Friday, 25 Mar 2011 - 11:31
Group: Friends
Version on the right I like more - the overall style is more important, IMHO smile

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 37 | Monday, 28 Mar 2011 - 17:27
Update :

Attachments: 3346246.jpg(102.9 Kb)

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 28 Mar 2011, 17:42

Fermi Post # 38 | Monday, 28 Mar 2011 - 23:28
january is a cold month therefore using cold colors are better

I put some blue lightnings effects on the picture

chrisdvanne_ Post # 39 | Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011 - 00:30
Nice work Fermi!
I think the top photo is a keeper for January.

The top photo, background and font color i used are just examples and must be changed of course. However, trying to mach the tone and the picture to the month might restrain the creativity of the picture.
I also used 72 dpi pictures for display on screen but 300 dpi pictures for print are better.

Given that i suggested a A3 format (i.e. 297 width and 420 high), i suggest we use the halp top (i.e. 297 width and 210 high) for the art photo and the half bottom for the calendar section. If the art photo doesn't fit, puting it in a creative frame can be a solution.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011, 00:57

Fermi Post # 40 | Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011 - 02:38
I have some suggestions about graphics that I think should be used

Kate Romero/Vistalux photoshoot, too bad most of them are low res and tagged.

Will we just use photoshoots I would like pictures from Camerons dancing (ep 7 s1) to be featured in the calender. Maybe together with the Tyler Shields ballerina shoots

chrisdvanne_ Post # 41 | Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011 - 08:08
Quote (Fermi)
Will we just use photoshoots I would like pictures from Camerons dancing (ep 7 s1) to be featured in the calender. Maybe together with the Tyler Shields ballerina shoots

The Tyler Shields shoots are very graphic and perfect for the calendar.

I love this one, except the clouds on bottom right and summerglauwiki text should be removed :

Attachments: 7646032.jpg(97.6 Kb)

Fermi Post # 42 | Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011 - 16:19
Quote (michelangelo)
The Tyler Shields shoots are very graphic and perfect for the calendar.

I'll see if I still have the photoshop file somewhere or I make a similar.
I'll also continue working on the mermaid.

I asked in the chatt widget.

Quote (Futurezone)
Future zone is
kinda busy,but there is always time for new designs and
projects

@michelangelo check if there is any old futurezone designs you would like to use in the calender.

this would work for feb http://photos.summer-glau.com....=-26695

chrisdvanne_ Post # 43 | Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011 - 16:26
Quote (Fermi)

As i said before, trying to mach the tone and the picture to the month might restrain the creativity of the picture.
This picture contains not much art work and is childish in concept and in design; this is exactly what i'm trying to avoid. Please let's avoid "hearts" everywhere and everything related to christmas, this looks much too amateurish, kinda like what housewives make for their children and relatives.

I don't like Futurezone art because it's basically a heavy-worked background image with one or more picture of Summer pasted on it with no particular reason or placement. It does not tell a story or highlight Summer.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011, 16:48

chrisdvanne_ Post # 44 | Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011 - 16:54
Future zone or Mr_Mogway art work are not eligible for the calendar; a great part of your work is. I'll show you a few examples :

pict1
You make a terrific work on blending images : Summer original picts are part of the overall picture and not just pasted on a background. This pict says : i'm a robot from the future but an attractive girl at the same time.

pict2
Great work on lightning. This pict says : we see you as an angel and you love us in return.

pict3
Great work on lightning. This pict says : look at me, i'm so cute.

pict4
Good work on transparency. This pict says : i'm a ballerina and a beautiful woman. Good use of Summer's quote from TSCC but bad choice of font (must be calligraphic but more "graphic")

Pict on message #23 of this thread is fantastic but a little bit too sexy for a calendar though (perfect font to use).

These are the best candidates for the calendar imo. I hope you see what i'm looking for and what i'm trying to avoid now.

It would be good to have more than one artist because you have the same kind of images and technics.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011, 17:36

Fermi Post # 45 | Tuesday, 29 Mar 2011 - 21:10
Thank you for liking fan art however this will not be a Fermi calender.

why is this always so hard to find participants to wiki project angry >( angry >(

I don't believe this!

If the calender is going to get delivered or not prolly depends how professional the printed result looks like.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
Search: