menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
chrisdvanne_ Post # 16 | Sunday, 20 Mar 2011 - 15:52
Group: Administrators
Quote (Devo)
Are we going to do like an 18 month or something calender so we can use it right away, or are we going to start with the month thiat is completed, or will it start Jan.2012?.

This year calendar is just a trial so we can make a calendar, starting Jannuary, 2011. Its purpose is to train our skills (editing, laying, graphics,...) and work on a commun project. It doesn't mean we can do an amateurish work though.
If the result is satisfying, it can be a regular task every year, next project starting this fall for a January, 2012 calendar.

I was wrong about the hollydays, Devo; i suggest we add United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Russian, and Sweden hollydays since most viewers come from theses countries. Yet, i don't know if we will add text and image on this year calendar, we'll see.

I will try to provide a first draft for the template soon to have your opinion and the admin's. Then we can start submitting pictures. I would like to have high resolution pictures because if not the size of the image will be too small and in order to have the same standards for all the pictures; nothing looks more amateurish than pictures with different resolution and quality. I hope we will have enough high quality pictures submitted to make the best choice possible.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Monday, 21 Mar 2011, 13:15

Fermi Post # 17 | Sunday, 20 Mar 2011 - 19:39
I suggest making a Summer Glau Wiki calendar for 2012 instead. I'll advertise and get more people involved in this project. I'm sure that you will manage to produce a calendar with a professional looking design. With a creative mind one can perform miracles.

You can't stop the signal!

Charley_Dixon Post # 18 | Sunday, 20 Mar 2011 - 22:02
Quote (Fermi)
I suggest making a Summer Glau Wiki calendar for 2012 instead.

That sounds like a good idea.

Cameron: My brother says if you want to be good at anything, you have to practice every day.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 19 | Sunday, 20 Mar 2011 - 23:28
We don't need to hurry, a 2012 calendar works fine for me. It will allow more people and graphist to be involved in the project. I had alreday contacted via facebook Heathen GlauGirl Nymphalette who seems to have graphics skill

Quote (message to Heathen GlauGirl Nymphalett)
Hi Heathen, my name is michelangelo and i'm an active member at the Summer Glau Wiki (http://summer-glau.com/). The admin recently uploaded to the forum a very nice picture made by you from the Esquire photoshoot; this particular picture gave me the idea to create a calendar and we're looking for high quality fan art like yours.
Maybe you could provide a picture or two in our calendar (i'm espacially interested to a larger version of the Soap bubble one).
Hope to hear from you soon!

But i would very much appreciate your help to advertise the project.

More time means higher quality standards; as usual, i have a few ideas to make this calendar unforgettable; i hope we won't have technical (i'm not a graphics expert) or copyright problems. If everything goes well this calendar would be awesome, something we should be proud of . More, several alternative versions can be proposed (wallpapers, gifs,...).

Fermi Post # 20 | Monday, 21 Mar 2011 - 14:59
Quote (michelangelo)
Heathen GlauGirl Nymphalette

She is a dedicated fan and a huge lurker of this wiki, I'm sure she will contribute to this calander, with some of her master pieces.

Quote (michelangelo)
facebook

you on facebook, which ones are yours?

chrisdvanne_ Post # 21 | Monday, 21 Mar 2011 - 16:39
Quote (Fermi)
She is a dedicated fan and a huge lurker of this wiki, I'm sure she will contribute to this calander, with some of her master pieces.

Glad to hear that!

You may have alreday seen my facebook comments under the name : Jean Dupontela

chrisdvanne_ Post # 22 | Monday, 21 Mar 2011 - 21:38
As promised, i submit the two options for the calendar's format; remember it's only drafts to visualize the format and many features and enhancement will be added for the finale chosen version :

1) Landscape

Click on image for bigger size

Pros :
calendar section and photo on the same image
allow lower quality standard photo
can be turnad into a wallpaper easely

Cons :
calendar section may spoil the photo on some occasions (not with this particular photo)
not a lot of room for additional text
additional text or pictures (birthday, summer work history,...) would look too small on the date squares

2) Wall calendar

Click on image for bigger size

Pros :
highlight the photo
allow text outside the calendar block if necessary (on top or next or below)
allow additional information (text or pictures or both) inside a date square
the calendar part can be improved graphically too (i shall submit drafts to show you)

Cons :
creative quality of the photos must be on top

My opinion : i prefered the lanscape format at first but the wall calendar offers many features that we can work on; especially now that the publish date is postponed to next year. After looking at the fan art linked above, i have now no doubt that we will have highly creative photos forn the calendar. Paired with a good layout, the result should be awesome.

I officially propose the wall calendar format.

Schedule : after there is a consensus among our members on the format, i shall make suggestions for the size of the calendar and pictures themselves..

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011, 01:37

chrisdvanne_ Post # 23 | Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 - 11:17
I see very nice pictures on the Summer Glau Appreciation Page, definitevely calendar material; i couldn't resisit showing you an example and give you advice :

This one is very creative and professional looking but is not eligible for the calendar because the image comes from a lad magazine (FHM 2010) and should not be put on a calendar page; i know this is very tempting to do this and i did it myself on my examples above but this is a fan calendar, not a "girl of the month" calendar.

One way to bypass this non-official rule is to blur an image (and use it as a background image for example) or use a collage in which the sexy image is not at the center of the final image.
When making an image for the calendar, ask yourself : would Summer be proud to see the image on a public calendar or would she be embarrassed ?

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011, 11:18

Granite Post # 24 | Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 - 12:12
Group: Friends
As for the photo, then I would still posted all the work in two separate sets\calendars -1- " Summer ", -2- " Hot Summer ", for example. Such a division would get a result that is acceptable to all her fans.

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 25 | Tuesday, 22 Mar 2011 - 12:52
Quote (Granite)
As for the photo, then I would still posted all the work in two separate sets\calendars -1- " Summer ", -2- " Hot Summer ", for example. Such a division would get a result that is acceptable to all her fans.

Thanks for the comment Granite!
It will depend on the number of art work submitted; we need 13 photos (1 cover + 12 months) to make a calendar. I suggest we make the "ofiicial" Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar .
If there is enough material that is not on the official calendar, we can have theme-oriented calendar like TSCC or The Cape calendar. I'm very well aware that more "hot" material has poped out lately and that this "Hot Summer" calendar would be a success, but i'm reserved about it. I'm fine with using some hot material if it's not too sexy but not too much on a the calendar itself. We'll see the admins opinions.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 26 | Wednesday, 23 Mar 2011 - 23:58
I suggest an A3 Portrait format for the Wall Calendar and here is the template :

The proportion are not respected in this template but it gives you an idea and details the different elements of a monthly page.
Let's revue the differents parts :

PICTURE : this is the area for the art work itself. Notice there is no frame around the picture because it highligths the picture. Using a frame is too academic for my taste.
I have not decided the exact height yet but obviously the width would be the one of an A3 page , i.e. circa 30 cm (i use the metric system)

BUUFER AREA : given that the pictures will come from different persons an in a great variety of size, it will be very difficult to have the same size for every pictures; the width is a fixed but the height could vary. In order to fill the page and have the calendar section on the same area at the bottom, i have added this buffer section . What will be put on it remains to be seen and i count on your suggestions; it could be screencaps of Summer's work for example.

FAN QUOTE : the title says it all; fans love to leave comments and some are beautiful. Remember it's a fan calendar and it could be fun to pay hommage to those who support Summer. I'll give you an example of comment made by a member of this wiki (will he recognize its comment ?) :

Summer Glau is the sexiest person alive. Michelangelo could not have carved such beauty and perfection out of solid marble. Although if he had ever laid eyes on Summer Glau, I am sure he would have tried.

There is quite a lot of features but i hope it doesn't look too loaded. We should have an answer when i'll make a real monthly page.

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 24 Mar 2011, 00:16

Granite Post # 27 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 00:25
All is well, but "fan quotes", IMHO, disputed aspect of. As a source for quotes is better to use the official articles and reviews. Quotes of fans ... too emotional, I would say (though sincerely smile )

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 28 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 00:44
I get your point, Granite. Maybe the articles quotes could be used in the buffer area as well.

Fermi Post # 29 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 14:02
I'm not sure I get the point. All fan quotes in this calender will be from the members who participate in this project.
Using our own words will make the calender stronger than just using article quotes.

Getting enought participators will be a problem, same with the fanart.

Granite Post # 30 | Thursday, 24 Mar 2011 - 14:37
I'm not exactly formulated my thoughts - i repent. I am very far from the design / typography, alas unsure .

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Creativity Section » Fanart » Summer Glau Wiki 2012 Calendar
Search: