menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » TOP 10 Bad-Ass Movie Robots
TOP 10 Bad-Ass Movie Robots
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 18:39
Group: Administrators
As soon as you saw the title of the thread, i bet you were ready to vote frenetically for our beloved after-a-famous-director-named robot; but nothing of the sort here.

Killer Film has listed 10 badass robots from the sci-fi genre, taken from the classics movies (sorry no tv show) : i reproduce here the article so that everyone can add a remark about the robots or movies and tell us how many of these movies he did see.

1 – Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still

With all of the robots to choose from, and the other nine we’ve already looked at, Gort is the most bad-ass. While it doesn’t actually destroy anything, the pending implications for what it could do, scared straight a world knee-deep in a forthcoming nuclear annihilation. That’s something no man, no nation could ever successfully do. So officially ending the nuclear arms race and creating world peace makes Gort the most bad-ass robot in movies.

2 – T-1000 from Terminator 2: Judgement Day

This bad-ass takes a dangerous route. It can do anything, turn into any weapon. It’s unrelenting and never stops. While all of the terminators are bad-asses, especially Arnold’s T-800 model, this liquid metal robot is one of the coolest creations and probably the most vicious.

3 – Optimus Prime from Transformers franchise

Like Michael Bay, don’t like Michael Bay, does it really matter when Optimus kicks everything’s ass with his blade at the end of his arm? Megaton might be scarier, but Optimus is bad to the (robotic) bone, sirs. Since the cartoons from the 1980s, Optimus Prime has seeped into popular culture and him the coolest robot for nerds and kids alike.

4 – ED 209 from Robocop

Why hasn’t anyone taking this model seriously? You want to stop crime dead? Create ED 209. “Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply.” What punk kid wouldn’t piss their pants and put down that video game they’re trying to steal? Heck, ED doesn’t even listen to his bosses, as long as it gets the job done. The perfect security guard!

5 -Mechagodzilla from Terror of Mechagodzilla

Okay, let’s get to a city destroyer. Godzilla is a bad-ass monster, so a robotic version of him is equally cool. Plus, it’s like a transformer and shoots lasers, has torpedo fingers, and has a force field. The perfect weapon for nerds. The cherry on top of this bad-ass? Made of Space Titanium!

6 -Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet

Over the years, the facade of the 1950s has been stripped away, yet Robby represents what we love so much about that time frame. Again, here’s another robot that doesn’t shoot lasers or destroy cities, hell – he even overheats when asked to do violence, but besides the cool factor, Robby is the ultimate robot in our idealization of what we wish could become reality.

7 -Maria from Metropolis

She doesn’t destroy cities or shoot lasers, but False Maria is arguably the most influential robot in history. Mixing the cold, distant emotions of a dark world, there’s also plenty of underlining sex appeal still to this day. The T-X from Terminator 3, while beautiful, can eat her heart out when compared to False Maria. Now, that’s sexy…and bad-ass.

8 – General Grievous from Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

While everyone continues to dog on the Prequel Trilogy, Lucas still created some great new characters. While Darth Maul appropriately gets the love, the hacking and coughing General of the droid armies of the Separatists is equally as cool. If Darth Maul’s double-ended lightsaber seemed bad-ass, Grievous outdoes that with four! Here’s one ass-kicking robot that just might be the best idea to come from the Clone Wars.

9 – The Destroyer from Thor

Imagine if Gort was unleashed, that’s The Destroyer. A protector of the finer things in Asgard, once sent to do a mission, all is destroyed, much to the pleasure of us. It shoots flames from its head Godzilla-style…what more could you want?

10 – Nazi Robots from Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

In this wonderful and under-appreciated film, director Kerry Conran uses the style of cartoonist/animator Max Fleischer to create some gigantic robots…that are Nazis. ‘Nuff said.

Source : Top 10 Bad-Ass Movie Robots at Killer Film.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 18:48
My score is 7 out of 10.
I've seen all these films except Terror of Mechagodzilla (tried to see one film of the old saga but i wonder if there was a script and the monster/robots are really bad looking), Thor (but i will see it soon of course) and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (???).

Among the list, Forbidden Planet is one of my all time scifi favorite, if not the favorite ( is strongly recommand it) followed by The Day the Earth Stood Still (not so many special effects but a really good story and engaging characters).

Devo Post # 3 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 18:54
Group: Friends
I never liked T1000. I think Cameron jumped the shark.

But I still liked the movie.

I never found T1000 to be as scary as T1 Arnold, and I find Cameron and Cromartie more frightening too.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 4 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 19:03
It's because you prefer robots able to cross the line between humans and robots; but the T1000 was very good in its fearless and emotionless type. Catherine Weaver in TSCC was like him in that department but Josh Friedmann was smart enough to make her a much more complicated character.

Read the article comment for #7 Maria from Metropolis, i'm sure you will agree. Maria has a lot in common with Cameron.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011, 19:04

Joe73 Post # 5 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 20:49
My Score is 6½

i did not see...
Mechagodzilla from Terror of Mechagodzilla
Maria from Metropolis
The Destroyer from Thor
and I have only seen some of Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet

ED 209 is in my opinion the funniest of them smile

Thats a window bird.

Message edited by Joe73 - Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011, 20:50

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 21:21
Quote (Joe73)
and I have only seen some of Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet

ED 209 is in my opinion the funniest of them smile

You should really finish seeing Forbidden Planet, it worth it.

I think the author of the article tried to create a list that mixed mainstream and more original choices.

Joe73 Post # 7 | Tuesday, 21 Jun 2011 - 22:16
I saw some of It on TCM back when I had 40 channels.

Now I only watch Summer Glau.

Well almost tongue

Thats a window bird.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 8 | Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 - 17:37
Quote (Joe73)
Now I only watch Summer Glau.

Well almost tongue

Beeing a huge fan of Summer Glau doesn't mean one cannot appreciate other actor/actress or simply enjoy a good movie, disregarding the cast.
But Summer plays a large part in our lives.
I wish we could watch her on tv every week; i remember waiting for TSCC the all week, anxious to discover what part she would play on the episode. And often be sad at the end of the episode ( in season 2) because the only interaction between John and Cameron was a dark look sad

Granite Post # 9 | Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 - 20:47
Yeah, sometimes in TSCC was full of despair and hopelessness - In the final 2.12, for example ...

" It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think... "

" Pain ... It is the healing, purifying scalpel of our souls " - Warhammer 40000 universe.

Message edited by Granite - Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011, 20:51

Blazius Post # 10 | Wednesday, 22 Jun 2011 - 22:12
The funny thing about this list is that General Grievous is not a robot. He is half organic and half synthetic. In the movie he was killed because Obi-wan shot his organic hearth which proves that he cannot function without his organic components. He is technically a cyborg(classic cyborg, not the Terminator-like).

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 11 | Saturday, 02 Jul 2011 - 18:06
Pure terror moment !

Arnold shows his Terminator forearm to miles Dyson (Youtube)

Ihr werdet mir genau zuhören, verstanden.

Aber ich glaube nicht, daB es Arnold wirkliche Stimme ist (I don't think it's Arnold real voice).

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » TOP 10 Bad-Ass Movie Robots
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: