menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
FordStaff Post # 61 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 03:49
Group: Friends
Newcomer here with first posting. Would like to say that this is one of the best forum communities I have seen with all the interesting yet reasonable discourse and all.

Now to the point of the thread I believe that there is a severe lack of young female leads who are not playing second fiddle to the male lead in television and movies. Personally I would love to see more young female leaders in the media as this perspective is rarely presented. I personally can think of none although I do not watch a particularly large amount of tv or movies. I can not even think of many older female leaders except for Laura Roslin (BSG) although that is based only off the first season.

In order for the role of a leader to utilize the full extent of Summer's acting skills however there would need to be internal conflict in the role. Something like the character Malcolm Reynolds in that while in control of those he is in authority over there was that internal conflict between honor and survivability among other things. I say this because to me Summer's strength is displaying emotions so that would be hard to utilize in a non-conflicted leader. To sum up I think that Summer should play an actual lead character (not a second fiddle to the male lead) who is a leader of some sort with internal conflict.

The Genre question could be answered with most anything besides Science Fiction/Fantasy/Super Heroes if the concern is career advancement. Personally I love science fiction and would prefer Summer on a good SF show, however if she wants to advance her career then I would hold no qualms for more genre outreach. In fact I would prefer that she become more renown with some other more mainstream genres (hopefully not a procedural though I hate those and they already got Nathan Fillion stuck in one sad ) and then later return to SF every once in a while. If only science fiction were not so shunned.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 62 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 07:43
Group: Administrators
Quote (Blazius)
Sometimes I'm thinking that the best solution would be another terminator blockbuster with Summer as Cameron/Alison.

We all know the Terminator movie franchise and TSCC have followed two different paths and that Josh Friedman did not say otherwise; more, i don't recall a producer of a Terminator movie mentioning the serie.
Yet we're talking about fictional characters and science-fiction so that merging the two universe would not be a problem imo; i would not invoke canon from one or another universe to point the inevitable plot holes of a new scenario.

But Hollywood being what it is, this scenario has zero chance to happen all the more that TSCC failed at capturing durably the attention of fans of the Terminator franchise, as stated by the abysmal drop of TSCC first episode ratings; so that i don't see TSCC's producers calling Summer, even if the fact she played Cameron seem an apparent asset.

I'm still waiting for the producers who are willing to give Summer a chance on a blockbuster to show up. While waiting for this to happen, Summer must not go under the radar and if it means participating to a new experience like The Human Preservation Project, so be it.

Side note : i'm preparing a new article to prove with numbers Summer's lack of exposure on the medias.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 07:45

FordStaff Post # 63 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:07
Summer must not go under the radar and if it means participating to a new experience like The Human Preservation Project, so be it.

Is it that disconcerting for her to participate in an advertisement campaign? That is a significantly better way of selling out (not implying negative connotation) than selling out for a weak role. Not compromising her talent and at the same time getting publicity and money seems like a win win in any book. Also Terry O'Quinn is not exactly bad company (or is he, I have no idea how he is doing after Lost, but I do know he is the best thing in that show).

I'm still waiting for the producers who are willing to give Summer a chance on a blockbuster to show up.

I think we all are. Lets just hope that when that occurs it will be able to display the range of her acting skills while in the limelight.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 64 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:19
Since i already greeted you in the "Please intoduce yourself" thread, i will go straight to the point, FordStaff.

The only female lead roles i can think of right now are Kathy Bates on NBC's "Harry's Law" (but it's rather experimental considering Bate's age and will be canceled by the end of the year anyway) and Zooey Deschanel's new Fox series "New Girl" which is the new hit of this Fall; but it's just another sitcom even if Zooe says on interviews it's a romantic comedy.

Since your last paragraph sums up what i think, i will not add anything else except : i agree with you (and with myself btw).

chrisdvanne_ Post # 65 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:29
Quote (michelangelo)
or is he, I have no idea how he is doing after Lost, but I do know he is the best thing in that show)

Terry O'Quiin is going back to an island (in which Lost were filmed btw) since he has been hired in successfull CBS serie Hawaii 5-0's second season for a recuring role :

Hawaii Five-0 - Season 2 - Promo

Quote (FordStaff)
Is it that disconcerting for her to participate in an advertisement campaign? That is a significantly better way of selling out (not implying negative connotation) than selling out for a weak role. Not compromising her talent and at the same time getting publicity and money seems like a win win in any book. Also Terry O'Quinn is not exactly bad company (or is he, I have no idea how he is doing after Lost, but I do know he is the best thing in that show).

I don't know if you followed the recent days in the Summerverse but everyone but me was anticipating a new tv show or movie from the Human Preservation Project announce so that a lot of people were disappointed when it turned out it was not; whereas people should have rejoiced Summer is back with a new project and a new opportunity to gain exposure and money.

FordStaff Post # 66 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:34
I don't think "New Girl" displays exactly what I mean. While the female character is the lead in the show she is not a leader (at least I am 99% certain this is the case, could be wrong have not seen it). I also meant that the female character that Summer should play would be a leader in addition to a lead character. I am not very specific so I should enumerate by leader I mean someone who holds authority either through direct rank or charisma.

To be completely honest though I am not very confidant that a leader is one of the things that Summer could pull off, but I think it would be worth a shot for many reasons. Oddly enough one of the reasons I want her to play a strong leader role is the exact reason that I have an inkling it just wouldn't work. In the media it is not uncommon to find good looking young male leaders but the same cannot be said of good looking young female leaders. I am self-aware enough to realize that I myself have this bias distilled in me and so it is difficult to see Summer playing a leader. This is the exact reason I think it would be one of the greatest roles if done right, and it would be very difficult to pull of writing and acting wise.

FordStaff Post # 67 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:40

I don't know if you followed the recent days in the Summerverse but everyone but me was anticipating a new tv show or movie from the Human Preservation Project announce so that a lot of people were disappointed when it turned out it was not; whereas people should have rejoiced Summer is back with a new project and a new opportunity to gain exposure and money.

I thought you were implying that people were upset that she was selling out or something along those lines which would be completely ridiculous. I could see why people would be upset if they believed that she had a spot on a show or movie. That is much more reasonable disappointment. However I am with you on this one.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 68 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:53
I quoted New Girl because frankly i have no better example.

Not many people among the fans think that Summer could carry the weight of a show by herself, even less having a leading character. Besides i'm not sure this is what Summer is looking for herself.

Concerning her new gig, i won't link to rants or search trough twitter to prove it to you but it was the dominant trend a few days ago in the Summerverse (i use that expression to designate Summer/TSCC/Firefly fans inside and mostly outside of the Summer Glau Wiki); what i find very amusing is that the trend is reversing now and even the people who ranted before, now admit it's not that bad Summer is getting a new job and is Wrigley's 5 Gum new spokesman.

FordStaff Post # 69 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 09:05
Not many people among the fans think that Summer could carry the weight of a show by herself, even less having a leading character. Besides i'm not sure this is what Summer is looking for herself.

My role suggestion is not something I think would be likely to work, merely that if a role she took was guaranteed to be handled well from all sides it would be that choice. I admit it would be a terrible idea to try unless she proves she can accomplish it before hand. To me one of the strongest and most important and momentous roles in fiction is that of a conflicted leader. Such a character in the role has the weight of responsibility and the firmness to take it yet at the same time can not be sure they are on the right path. If this feeling was accomplished through a character played by Summer (a fairly young small women, the opposite of the stereotype of the role) I would find that amazing. I may not be making a bit of sense here.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 09:08

Blazius Post # 70 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 23:40
Who is saying that Summer couldn't pull off a powerful leader character???

In fact she plays the ONLY TRULLY powerful young female characters nowadays.

Cameron Phillips, Bennett Halverson anyone?

Of course you'd say they weren't that big leaders but please pay attention to the acting and the details. They are very charismatic. They look genuinly powerful and not just faulty pretenders whose only strengh is her sexual appetite.

Please anybody who questions that Summer could play a powerful female please watch TSCC and Dollhouse ASAP before writing.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 71 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 23:50
Take it easy Blazius, we don't want to scare FordStaff for its first day on the Wiki. Take a look at the conversation i had with him on the "Please introduce yourself" to learn to know him. I'm starting to like him and appreciate his comments despite his young age.

Summer Glau has played strong characters obviously but nothing close to a leader. That doesn't mean she could not perform one though.

FordStaff Post # 72 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:09
Of course you'd say they weren't that big leaders but please pay attention to the acting and the details. They are very charismatic. They look genuinly powerful and not just faulty pretenders whose only strengh is her sexual appetite.

Please anybody who questions that Summer could play a powerful female please watch TSCC and Dollhouse ASAP before writing.

I agree that her characters have been very strong (even the arguably weakest one River because she had a good reason) and I know exactly the type of actors who's only strength is their sexual appetite (Olivia Wilde to name one) and Summer is undeniably not among them. I do not think that she was really much of a leader in any of those shows though.

As I have said it is the bias in the media against portraying young woman leader's that makes it difficult for me (and probably many others) to imagine it working. It is not the acting capability that I am mainly worried about but rather how it would be handled within a work. Even if she has the capability to portray a leader the bias is against it, so it may take more than just her acting in a vacuum to combat that (good writing and good acting from others etc etc etc...). It is not right but that is just the state of our society at this point (perhaps less prevalent outside US?) and I admit that its influence directly affects me.

Take it easy Blazius, we don't want to scare FordStaff for its first day on the Wiki.

It is quite fine I sense no hostility. I prefer that people voice their opinions even if it is contrary to mine, in fact that is one of the reasons I like reading forums.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 00:13

Blazius Post # 73 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:15
Quote (michelangelo)
Take it easy Blazius, we don't want to scare FordStaff for its first day on the Wiki. Take a look at the conversation i had with him on the "Please introduce yourself" to learn to know him. I'm starting to like him and appreciate his comments despite his young age.

Summer Glau has played strong characters obviously but nothing close to a leader. That doesn't mean she could not perform one though.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I read FordStaffs introduction and I wasn't repliing to him.

Quote (michelangelo)

That was when I got angry. It implies in the context of this discussion that she would be incapable playing such characters because she is weak. And fans are thinking this too. And they have probably seen TSCC and Dollhouse
probably not even once. Yet they saw nothing obviously.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 74 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:19
I watch a lot of sites and forums to get informations so that i can feel the dominant trend; funny thing is that Summer Glau Wiki members are often in the minority but that doesn't mean they're wrong : see the turn of events considering Summer's involvement in The Human Preservation Project, everyone is rallying our positions.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 75 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:25
Quote (FordStaff)
As I have said it is the bias in the media against portraying young woman leader's that makes it difficult for me (and probably many others) to imagine it working. It is not the acting capability that I am mainly worried about but rather how it would be handled within a work. Even if she has the capability to portray a leader the bias is against it, so it may take more than just her acting in a vacuum to combat that (good writing and good acting from others etc etc etc...). It is not right but that is just the state of our society at this point (perhaps less prevalent outside US?) and I admit that its influence directly affects me.

It seems Hollywood is more conservative or cautious than the civile society or politics; a lot of female leaders are emerging in the economy or in politics but that rarely shows in movies or tv series.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
Search: