menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
chrisdvanne_ Post # 46 | Sunday, 11 Sep 2011 - 08:09
Group: Administrators
She's best known and beloved for her sci-fi roles of course but we know she's played others roles in the past (Deadley Honeymoon, The Legend of Hell's Gate,...) and i wouldn't be surprised if her next role is not in sci-fi.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 47 | Monday, 19 Sep 2011 - 01:06
Precisely, fans of all ages are deliberately mixed up with fanboys in most a lot of online articles and haters or trolls are more than pleased to repeat such nonsense. This is at least bad and lazy writing from bloggers because it's not respectful to real fans like us.
Most recent article to illustrate this phenomenom:
What shows get the online buzz? Not what most people are watching by Andrea Johnson at minotdailynews.com on September 16, 2011
According to a company called Banyan Branch, the biggest "online buzz" this fall is for three returning TV shows: "Fringe," "Chuck" and "Supernatural." ...
...I don't know if this is that surprising either since I wouldn't expect sci fi geeks to geek out online about "The Playboy Club." Your average fanboy's dream girl is Summer Glau, the actress who played roles in shows like "Firefly" and "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles," or Yvonne Strahovski, who plays Sarah on "Chuck," and not necessarily the well-endowed angels of "Charlie's Angels."

In this case the author of the article mixed up Scifi-geeks (most people on this forum are indeed) with "average fanboy". Summer Glau is not my dream girl, just my favorite actress.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 48 | Monday, 19 Sep 2011 - 10:44
Summer Glau has earned herself that reputation of being the queen of sci-fi with her amazing performance in shows like Firefly or Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles. But we fans have contributed to this by voting for her systematically in 'sexiest scifi babe' like polls.

See her recent victories :

Tubey Awards 2011
Syfy UK Sexiest Sci-fi Babe
Desktop Girl of the Week Tournament

Blazius Post # 49 | Tuesday, 20 Sep 2011 - 19:58
Group: Friends
Quote (michelangelo)
Summer Glau has earned herself that reputation of being the queen of sci-fi with her amazing performance in shows like Firefly or Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

As a proud "Scifi-geek" I can tell you that I've never seen anybody else who could challenge Summer for the throne. I consider her even on par with the best of male sci-fi actors too.

My only gripe with Summer on the field of sci-fi is that she never got the chance to play in the older, more classical sci-fi shows like Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape or Babylon 5. For one Summer would have had the chance to play in consistently renewed shows where she could have steadily build up her career. On the other hand the shows themselves could benefit from her superb acting which sometimes said shows seriously lacked. Of course she was busy with her dancing career that time( and she was a bit young too).

BTW I'm concerned that while she is brilliant in sci-fi, its not necessarily realizing her full potential. Think about her brilliant work in Deadly Honeymoon for example. Or the fact that her strongest points are the dramatic roles.

This is most apparent during the interrogation scenes in Alison from Palmdale or her role in Serenity. Also I remember when we watched the "disco-Glau" episode of The 4400 and during the Tess/Kevin confrontation scene each of us noted how good was she in that tense, dramatic scene. Of course sci-fi provides such scenes every now and then but not necessarily the most or the best scenes. She should look around and taste more genres before firmly decides to stay at sci-fi( through her upcoming films are not exactly sci-fis so maybe she thought about it too)

Quote (michelangelo)
But we fans have contributed to this by voting for her systematically in 'sexiest scifi babe' like polls.

I always had the feeling that its something we fans can do for her after so many joy and beauty and fun she gave to us. I'm glad it makes at least small difference.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 50 | Tuesday, 20 Sep 2011 - 20:52
Quote (Blazius)
more classical sci-fi shows like Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape or Babylon 5.

Can you quote one of the actresses of these shows who has had a carrer boost after these shows? Or one who played in a blockbuster after that?

The answer is no !
Even Amanda Tapping (which i adore) landed only in a webserie (Sanctuary), who lately went to Syfy but with limited audience by nature.

This is another Hollywood pattern (that i quoted many times here) and there is little we can do about it (i'm sure Summer's agent has the same problems): when it comes to the big screen, Hollywood execs prefer to hire an unkown babe or a confirmed actress who has played in at least another blockbuster (even if it was a flop). They rarely give her chance to the actresses we're talking about, even to the queen of them.

we fans have contributed to this by voting for her systematically in 'sexiest scifi babe' like polls.

I think you missed my point actually; i was ranting about the fact that Summer's fans were often assimilated to 12 year old fanboys, idolizing Summer for what she's supposed to represent and not for her quality as an actress.
I know you share my point of view for a large part but i don't see how we can changed the reductive perception people have of Summer and her fans.

I said we contributed to this misperception by voting for her as a sci-fi object or sexiest babe whereas Summer Glau has never been better than in strong emotional scenes (in firefly or TSCC) but the masses identify her to the slayer scenes in Firefly or to the fight scenes in TSCC. Overall i think voting for her is a good thing but it reinforces the phenomenom i describe above.

Given her status of sci-fi queen among tv geeks, one of my biggest fear is that writers and directors would turn her completely into a caricature of herself, where she plays 'Summer Glau queen of sci-fi' in movie or tv shows. I can feel it in Knights of Badassdom when Gwen has a fight scene with a sword that will inevitably remind of River fighting reavers in Serenity : Joe Lynch himself insisted upon that scene in the interview after the Comic Con panel.
Also the way it was filmed, as seen in the trailer, clearly indicates Gwen was not taken seriously : she kills the zombies in slow motion then Gwen appears in close-up and wink at the audience (see Summer Glau Wiki banner). This way of filming remove any dramatical tone to the scene, turning it into a caricature or nerd bait if you like.

This is also why i didn't like the references to previous tv shows during Summer's guest spot in Chuck and in Alphas : it's made to please the audience who is coming to watch Summer Glau imitating Summer Glau whereas i'd prefer to see Summer giving a new and unique performance by interpreting a well written character. Fortunately, Alphas writters managed to do both.

Blazius Post # 51 | Tuesday, 20 Sep 2011 - 23:27
We are actually back to the "why sci-fi is so underrated today" question.

The trolls bash us and Summer because we are related to sci-fi plain and simple. Loving sci-fi today or playing in such a show is considered some kind of " sin against common taste" or such today for no apparent reason. How are they referring to sci-fi fans? "Geeks" and "nerds" and such. I'd like some input from native English speakers but it carries a very negative meaning by my interpretation more so because only this specific group gets this designation apparently. And yes, common sci-fi fan stereotype is either the 12 year old kid or the mature virgin "freakish" guy who "still lives with his mom".

I can't get through with this without being a bit harsh but this label comes from a considerable portion of the population who act like a flock of sheeps and following an ever changing(and I'd say often very nasty) trend to the letter.

Such people consider watching ANYTHING other than sports or on rare occasions extremely nasty horror movies(not with sci-fi or supernatural elements) or reality shows
very "lame" and if you watch them then you automaticly get the "nerd" label(and don't forget you are virgin then) because thats the trend which somebody started and the mass followed.

If they are a bit less strick then they watch blockbusters as well, these are the people who often regard an actress by her looks solely(the show is for them).

Remember that this distinction can be made because they are more numerous than the sci-fi lovers. Of course Hollywood keeps this in mind also. Also I'm not even sure that the problem is that Summers ties with sci-fi masks her talents, I'm questioning that her talents even matter for such a "sheep" audience.

So the sheeps are calling you a 12 year old virgin because you tell them things which are not cool in their opinion . They just seem to hate sci-fi and everything and everybody associated with it(or the trend hates them actually)

Only way out for Summer? Probably she should do other things rather than sci-fi. I said that her potential may be wasted there. I meant possible inability to show her skills but its true that her career won't develop much further with sci-fi. To the question "why is she keeps coming back to sci-fi?" she answered that because she likes it. In other cases I'd say that she is just getting typecast in sci-fi roles and she lies to mask it but in Summers case it may be true considering that with her tendency of turning down of roles which she doesn't like I have the feeling that rather than doing whats better for her career she rather does what she likes. So it may be true.(I don't know if it'd be bad or good news)

Quote (michelangelo)
Given her status of sci-fi queen among tv geeks, one of my biggest fear is that writers and directors would turn her completely into a caricature of herself, where she plays 'Summer Glau queen of sci-fi' in movie or tv shows. I can feel it in Knights of Badassdom when Gwen has a fight scene with a sword that will inevitably remind of River fighting reavers in Serenity : Joe Lynch himself insisted upon that scene in the interview after the Comic Con panel.
Also the way it was filmed, as seen in the trailer, clearly indicates Gwen was not taken seriously : she kills the zombies in slow motion then Gwen appears in close-up and wink at the audience (see Summer Glau Wiki banner). This way of filming remove any dramatical tone to the scene, turning it into a caricature or nerd bait if you like.

Its hard to decide in my opinion because its a comedy. Summer knew it and signed in. Will it have negative impact like with the Cape? I don't know, we have no word in the way Summer shapes her career, its her responsibility here, if she and her manager can't measure the risks, then nobody can help.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 52 | Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011 - 00:48
I'm more concerned about Summer's carrer than trolls and things are a little more complicated than you think ; from my online experience, the people who take a great pleasure to bash Summer and her fans are not those who watch Jersey Shore or NCIS or Dancing With The Stars (the main stream shows in US TV) because they don't know who Summer is; these trolls are other geeks who watch scifi shows on tv or even write about scifi on blogs, making it even more unbearable because they don't have the excuse of ignoring the state of scifi shows in modern tv.

As i said, i'm more concerned about the turning of Summer's carrer and i think she should quit scifi if she's been given the opportunity; i t seems her agent receive job offers outside the scifi field since she played in Deadley Honeymoon or Legend's of Hell's Gate. I just wish these offers were more main stream.
Of course she should not decline a role in Avatars 2 but we know it won't happen.

Quote (Blazius)
Its hard to decide in my opinion because its a comedy.

Even in a comedy, there is emotion, romance, tense situation,...And Summer's fight sequense has been treated in a comedic way, a caricature of River's very serious fights, at least from what i've seen in the trailer. I hope the fact it's just a trailer will prove me wrong (but i know enough about films to think otherwise).

Blazius Post # 53 | Wednesday, 21 Sep 2011 - 16:51
Quote (michelangelo)
I'm more concerned about Summer's carrer than trolls and things are a little more complicated than you think ; from my online experience, the people who take a great pleasure to bash Summer and her fans are not those who watch Jersey Shore or NCIS or Dancing With The Stars (the main stream shows in US TV) because they don't know who Summer is; these trolls are other geeks who watch scifi shows on tv or even write about scifi on blogs, making it even more unbearable because they don't have the excuse of ignoring the state of scifi shows in modern tv.

I'm too. And I think the bad reputation of sci-fi(which I think hurts the queen as well) comes directly from the main stream show watchers. Their mentality and reasoning is the same as the trolls( the trolls adopted their reasoning to have an edge). And its a large group, far larger than decades ago and because sci-fi lovers are a minority they can be bashed by the majority indefinitely. I don't monitor the internet as much as you of course, my experience comes from pages on which I lurk and by speaking to a few anti-sci-fi people in real life.

Quote (michelangelo)
As i said, i'm more concerned about the turning of Summer's carrer and i think she should quit scifi if she's been given the opportunity; i t seems her agent receive job offers outside the scifi field since she played in Deadley Honeymoon or Legend's of Hell's Gate. I just wish these offers were more main stream.
Of course she should not decline a role in Avatars 2 but we know it won't happen.

On this I completely agree with you of course. If she sticks to sci-fi then her career won't move much forward than this. When I mentioned why she never played in older shows it was just wishful thinking from my sci-fi lover side, she wasn't even old enough for most of the shows to act in unless as a child actor.

Quote (michelangelo)
Can you quote one of the actresses of these shows who has had a carrer boost after these shows? Or one who played in a blockbuster after that?

The answer is no !
Even Amanda Tapping (which i adore) landed only in a webserie (Sanctuary), who lately went to Syfy but with limited audience by nature.

Or another actors we are very familiar are Brent Spiner, Jeffrey Combs, Morena Baccarin and so on. Each were brilliant in their roles yet where are they now?

Summer should definitely get out of sci-fi as fast as possible. She was on the right track with Deadly Honeymoon so why is she still with sci-fi I wonder. Its not that she wasn't good in it she was at least as good in it as in her sci-fis. Moreover she got a leading role and she can handle it perfectly too.

And I say again that I'm not really convinced that Summer is the best suited for sci-fi. I has the feeling sometimes that it holds her back from showing the full extend of her skills. I honestly don't know why she doesn't change her sci-fi profile.

Not that she should reject a further Alphas appearance, that would keep her busy at least but she should search for something different, and maybe bigger at the same time and giving that a priority.

Fermi Post # 54 | Thursday, 22 Sep 2011 - 02:09
Looks like the genre Scifi is winning this poll, by a landslide.

You can't stop the signal!

The1Russter Post # 55 | Thursday, 22 Sep 2011 - 17:34
Group: Writer
I would love to see Summer in a romantic/comedy, or at the very least a romantic drama with strong comedic undertones. She has a wonderful sense of humor and a sweet nature which would lend itself well to such a role. And it would be different to most of the work we've grown accustom to seeing her in.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

chrisdvanne_ Post # 56 | Thursday, 22 Sep 2011 - 17:58
Russel, i wanted to have your opinion about Summer hired in tv shows or movies only to play "Summer Glau queen of sci-fi" and not an unique character; please take the time to read my comments and Blazius, starting at post #47.

Blazius Post # 57 | Saturday, 24 Sep 2011 - 15:28
Quote (The1Russter)
I would love to see Summer in a romantic/comedy, or at the very least a romantic drama with strong comedic undertones. She has a wonderful sense of humor and a sweet nature which would lend itself well to such a role. And it would be different to most of the work we've grown accustom to seeing her in.

I think its a very good idea! A romantic drama would allow Summer to show more of her talents. Moreover such a role requires somebody who is able to communicate feelings well and she excels in this area. I think too that something more comedic would be better because Summer seemingly doesn't like when something is too dark and depressing(me neither) but she can be actually very funny if she plays a comic role despite her claims.

Fermi Post # 58 | Saturday, 15 Oct 2011 - 21:44
A great role for Summer would be Carietta "Carrie" N. White a very mentally unstable girl with extraordinary powers that eventually goes on a killing spree.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 59 | Monday, 17 Oct 2011 - 09:51
I tweeted about this a few days ago with Summer fans : even if i would like to see Summer on intelligent and story-driven tv shows or movies, i wouldn't mind seing her in a crap movie that yieds 300 millions dollars at the box-office.
Let me tell you some fans disagree with me, which i understand perfectly.
But Hollywood being what it is, once you're in the system, you receive regularly other project offers and you can move on on your career.

Blazius Post # 60 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 02:04
Sometimes I'm thinking that the best solution would be another terminator blockbuster with Summer as Cameron/Alison.

1. Summer would be in a blockbuster at last

2. Cameron's story would conclude.

3. Without Arnie and Summer the Terminator franchise is practically dead anyway so the franchise would benefit from her too( lack of prominent good terminator potrayers)

Just about anybody would be happy with this solution.

Not likely scenario but arguably one of the most ideal.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
Search: