menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
Blazius Post # 31 | Wednesday, 27 Jul 2011 - 18:34
Group: Friends
Well I don't think that this SW series would be that low profile, In fact it would be the highest profile show in which Summer played so far. George Lucas himself would direct the first season for example. SW is also one of the most succesful franchises of all time.
When I said low profile I thought that she doesn't need to be an oscar winning, super-ultra star with 6 trillion followers and at least 7 succesful blockbusters so she has a chance to get the role.

Also SW fans are not that likely to be part of the usual si-fi fan crowd. I myself know examples of people who hate sci-fi overall but love SW. Its not ordinary sci-fi more like a sci-fi/fantasy/adventure mix.

It seems a good idea for me but as I said I'm not an expert just a casual fan.

Quote (michelangelo)
Knights of Badassdom seems to "overperform" compared to its original goals, it could be the door to mainstream productions. One can dream.

I hope that KOB will bring Summer her long deserved popularity. May our dreams come true!

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 32 | Wednesday, 27 Jul 2011 - 18:38
Group: Administrators
OT :
Fermi has added a line on top of the wiki; could you read my observations on the banner thread and give your opinion there if you like.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

termi-ninja-tor Post # 33 | Thursday, 28 Jul 2011 - 05:55
I like Summer in SciFi, but I voted for cop shows.

I think she is best when playing a very smart person who is slightly unsophisticated in interpersonal affairs. I liked her in Serenity and in Firefly whenever River was shown as smart or strong. I liked her very much as Bennett the geeky genius with a bad arm. And of course she was great as Cameron who was smart in some ways and unsophisticated in other ways. I understand that was what Orwell was supposed to be, but The Cape was a marginal concept that was poorly executed, and Orwell didn't really have a chance to show her stuff.

She would have been good as Emily in Bones. She would have been great as a female version of Charlie Eppes, the lead in Numb3rs. And she would fit in well as one of the regular geeks in Big Bang Theory.

Much as I would like to see her as a superhero or a Lara Croft, I don't feel that such a role would be as good a fit as a quirky genius.

So for lack of a specific genre that really captures my idea, I picked cop shows as the closest approximation.

[edit add] And cop shows would give her a chance to do something physical occasionally, like while chasing and fighting suspects.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Friday, 29 Jul 2011, 00:08

chrisdvanne_ Post # 34 | Sunday, 31 Jul 2011 - 11:01
Old news but it stumbled on it by chance and found that funny : it's an extract of a board thread dedicated to the annouce of Summer's coming in Dollhouse.

Quote (trollkingdom.net)
Joss Whedon told Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello that he's trying to get his former Firefly star Summer Glau on Fox's Dollhouse in its second season, but not in a role you might expect.

"Summer would be perfect to play an active, but she's done that [type of role] a lot," Whedon told Ausiello. "I'd rather see her play someone who talks too much. The most fun I have is when I get somebody who's good and comfortable at doing something, and then I make them do something else. Summer said to me, 'I would like to play a normal girl before I die of extreme old age.'"

Whedon has wanted to bring Glau into the fold since before her last series, Fox's Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, was canceled. "If anybody thinks [bringing Summer onto Dollhouse] hasn't occurred to me already, then they have not met me," he says. "I mentioned it to her before [SCC] was canceled. I was like, 'You know, we should get you in the 'house.' But first we have to come up with something that works." Dollhouse returns in the fall.

A clairvoyant and somewhat naughty member answered :
She could play Amy Acker's sister who comes looking for her but ends up having an affair with TOPHER!?...Or she just incests with Acker.

Lol.

Devo Post # 35 | Sunday, 31 Jul 2011 - 16:09
Quote (michelangelo)
Old news but it stumbled on it by chance and found that funny : it's an extract of a board thread dedicated to the annouce of Summer's coming in Dollhouse. Quote (trollkingdom.net)Joss Whedon told Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello that he's trying to get his former Firefly star Summer Glau on Fox's Dollhouse in its second season, but not in a role you might expect. "Summer would be perfect to play an active, but she's done that [type of role] a lot," Whedon told Ausiello. "I'd rather see her play someone who talks too much. The most fun I have is when I get somebody who's good and comfortable at doing something, and then I make them do something else. Summer said to me, 'I would like to play a normal girl before I die of extreme old age.'" Whedon has wanted to bring Glau into the fold since before her last series, Fox's Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, was canceled. "If anybody thinks [bringing Summer onto Dollhouse] hasn't occurred to me already, then they have not met me," he says. "I mentioned it to her before [SCC] was canceled. I was like, 'You know, we should get you in the 'house.' But first we have to come up with something that works." Dollhouse returns in the fall. A clairvoyant and somewhat naughty member answered : QuoteShe could play Amy Acker's sister who comes looking for her but ends up having an affair with TOPHER!?...Or she just incests with Acker. Lol.

I have read slashfic that would make your head spin. tongue

Sometime the internet redeems itself. biggrin

chrisdvanne_ Post # 36 | Sunday, 31 Jul 2011 - 17:07
Quote (Devo)
I have read slashfic that would make your head spin. tongue

Probably! Last time Blazius and i have read femslash between Sarah and Cameron and it was ... hot. cool

chrisdvanne_ Post # 37 | Tuesday, 02 Aug 2011 - 13:36
A fan has suggested that James Cameron could hire Summer Glau for the sequels of Avatar; she could play "the new scientist replacing Sigourney Weaver, who died in the original Avatar."

He/she has also collected several drawn representation of Summer Glau as a Na'vi (you may recognize one of them)

And because Summer seem to inspire this fan, he has also written a story :

Quote:
To Avatar Director James Cameron,
Please cast Summer Glau as the biologist replacing Sigourney Weaver. You can freely borrow from my Avatar 2 story. The story goes:

With her avatar, Summer Glau arrives on a starship. She is an ocean xenobiologist in a wheelchair – a prettier Stephen Hawking with female electronic voice.

The paralyzed genius is not welcomed by Na'vi laws governing humans. Summer is permitted only weeks to study the undersea flora & fauna before she must leave. She will be expelled from the Garden of Eden for eternity.

Onetime paraplegic Jake Sully sympathizes with Summer Glau. Jake will accompany and protect Summer from wild sea beasts. Jake's wife, Neytiri, is jealous. Plot complications ensue.

My preferred complication is that Summer was sent to kill Jake.

Jake & Summer grow emotionally close after weeks together exploring the ocean life in a sailboat and a submarine. You might say they are in love. But Summer must soon leave the planet because most humans are not allowed to stay indefinitely.

A mysterious stranger wakes Summer. While she is outside of her avatar and inside her crippled human body, she is told to kill Jake immediately or else something terrible happens!

Back inside her avatar, Summer and Jake fight to a draw at the bottom of the ocean. They will die together, breathing from the same nearly empty oxygen tank.

With Jake's knife at her throat, Summer's avatar tells her story -- if she doesn't kill Jake, the evil starship captain will kill Summer's sister, which recalls to Jake his brother's death in the original Avatar.

Jake asks Summer's avatar, “If you die and I live, will the evil starship captain still kill your sister?” Not a good plan in Summer's opinion. Jake continues, “I didn't explain clearly. How about if only your paralyzed human body dies? Then we both rescue your sister from the starship captain.”

Summer is confused because she did not see the original Avatar movie. Jake's human body died but Jake's mind lives in his avatar. A genius, Summer now understands the plan; underwater kisses are exchanged. Jake and Summer intertwine in soul-to-soul love via their unique Na'vi nerve connections in their pigtails.

For Summer and Jake, the only constant is inconstancy, the waywardness of passion and, since every person seems to have multiple selves, of existence itself.

The movie ends with an epic sea battle to save Summer's sister. Amphibious spaceships are destroyed in 3-D by krakens.

The evil starship captain, who is unknown to Jake until the very end of the movie, is the vengeful identical twin of (Spoiler Alert) Colonel Miles Quaritch from the original Avatar! And why not? Schwarzenegger was in Terminator 2.
End of Quote

Source and credit for the picts : Summer Glau casting in Avatar 2? at Firefly.net

Blazius Post # 38 | Wednesday, 10 Aug 2011 - 15:33
BTW Bennett. I think that the next role Summer should get is an "evil genius" character. That would work for any genre so she could even choose the most popular one.

The reason I want to see her as an evil character especially an evil genius is because she has the potential to play it brilliantly.

Everybody knows that she can play badass protagonists or gray morality character, but not everybody knows that she is just as good at playing bad guys.

Bennett is the best example. When I first saw her episodes I was completely shocked by her performance. Our lovely Summer suddenly become a chilly, sadistic "creature" who instead of the usual pleasantness brought uneasiness to the viewer. I was literally woken up from my "Glau dream" and it was a rude awakening. The trick is that Summer can potray very strong characters and summon very strong emotions. If these emotions are unpleasant then it carries even more weight. With a main villain its extremely important.

Bennett was also elegant and had the strange habit of telling her strange philosophies to her lackey(s) (the psychologist from Allison from Palmdale in this case). She also believes that her plan is not evil when in reality it is. These are characteristics of every evil genius type character and Summer marvellously made them work. This is quite an achievement because these kind of roles are mostly reserved for males or older females. Its because such a character needs to command respect and have strong personality with a strong will.

The problem is that a beautiful, young woman is never expected to have these attributes(we still often judge by appearance), and it rarely works when somebody tries it. But we know that it works with Summer so somebody should try her in a role like that.

My idea is to mix her a bit with Orwell so she "is watching" and planning evil plans but also she should have a public, pleasant face possibly with Orwells clothes to look innocent and beautiful in order to hide that she was behind the evil plan all along.

Also she could still kick the ass of the protagonists and remain badass even more so because the main villain needs to be very powerful, almost unbeatable. And to develop her character her hobby which she does in her evil fortress while she is planning could be some form of dancing so Summer could even dance in this role.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 39 | Thursday, 25 Aug 2011 - 11:06
Summer Glau made a guest spot appearance in an episode of Supernatural (CW)...and nobody told me!

Let me explain, this :
The CW website credits by mistake Summer Glau in season 2 episode 4 of Supernatural, titled 'Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things', aired on October 19, 2006. They had her confused with another actress, Tamara Feldman. Some website in the Glau sphere have reported CW's announce by mistake at the time.

Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) investigate the murder of a college student (guest star Summer Glau) who has come back from the dead seeking revenge on those who mistreated her while she was alive. "

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural/episodes/204

Tamara Feldman picture at IMDB

Indeed Tamara Feldman and Summer Glau share a strikingly resemblance in that picture, , but the fact is Summer Glau did not guest in Supernatural.

Summer was originally cast as Angela, but had to drop out, due to scheduling conflicts. Tamara Feldman' took over at the last minute.

Apparently not only the CW website but others site and the DVD's as well credit Summer Glau; though i have not verified, if someone has the supernatural DVD's be kind to check and let us know.

Besides from being funny, this is potentially detrimental to Tamara Feldman.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 40 | Wednesday, 07 Sep 2011 - 17:46
@Hollywood execs : Listen, and understand. The fans of Summer Glau are out there. They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop promoting Summer, ever, until you hire her in 3 blockbusters a year devil

Malfurion Post # 41 | Wednesday, 07 Sep 2011 - 18:06
You said it! biggrin

3 blockbusters? One will be sufficient, but only when Summer acts in two series (genre: romantic and scifi) - both as leading character! tongue

Shyness and Summer met one day, Shyness had to speak first.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 42 | Wednesday, 07 Sep 2011 - 18:16
Quote (Malfurion)
One will be sufficient

You're right! Hollywood is made so that once an actor has a foot in the main stream, job offers flock to him like bees to honey.

Blazius Post # 43 | Saturday, 10 Sep 2011 - 03:05
Quote (michelangelo)
@Hollywood execs : Listen, and understand. The fans of Summer Glau are out there. They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop promoting Summer, ever, until you hire her in 3 blockbusters a year

Well said! We won't stop until the Glaudess takes her rightful place!

Quote (michelangelo)
You're right! Hollywood is made so that once an actor has a foot in the main stream, job offers flock to him like bees to honey.

Considering her popularity jump after only one guest appearance imagine what would happen after she gets cast in a successful blockbuster.

She would be crowned as the Empress of Earth shortly keeping up the tradition that Terminator actors continue their career on the political field biggrin

I'd certainly vote for her.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 44 | Saturday, 10 Sep 2011 - 08:17
Quote (Blazius)
Considering her popularity jump after only one guest appearance imagine what would happen after she gets cast in a successful blockbuster.

Usually i would have posted a message to moderate your enthousiasm but this time i won't.

...though, is that not what i just did? wacko

ogy86 Post # 45 | Saturday, 10 Sep 2011 - 11:26
Of course, that Summer belongs to a sci-fi and action genres but she would not have problem play even another roles. She's a great actress who can play what they want from her and also add something of her own. She has a great potential in this, just is a pity that no one noticed her for large canvases yet

This is Cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNu7pi9glR4
Save TSCC!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Pty7PD … r_embedded
Summer Glau a WuShu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1BMqNYOyFU

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Other movies/shows » What would be the best role/genre for Summer?
Search: