menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 8
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Fan letter to Summer Glau
Fan letter to Summer Glau
Fermi Post # 1 | Friday, 20 May 2011 - 21:33
Group: Administrators
Summer Glau will have a subscription to our yearly wiki calendar. The calendar will be printed and sent to her fan mail address. As this is the first wiki calendar we will also send her a letter.

The letter should describe the calender project. In the letter we should tell Summer how much we loved her previous work, how much we looking forward for her upcoming project and how much we love her. It does not need to be a long letter, but it should be well written. The letter will be from the whole Summer Glau Wiki community so we will write the letter together in this thread.

The deadline for submitting art to the calendar is 23 May and it seems like we will have enough material. We will continue improving the calender and correct all error before printing and sending the calendar. The deadline for this letter and the calendar to be printed will be 23 June.

If you writing our own fan letter. Then this thread can also be used for getting feedback and help on the writing. I'm not very brilliant, witty or poetic like my mentors. I suck at writing letters and therefore I can not help so much, but some of our witty members might be able to help.

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Saturday, 21 May 2011 - 00:26
I have many talents, in addition to modesty, but obviously i'm not a natural writer. Help would be appreciated.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Devo Post # 3 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 09:11
Group: Friends
We members of the Summer Glau Wiki of Awesomeness, an online community of adoring fans, have undertaken this fan-art calender project to celebrate you and your fantastic body of work in the spirit of camaraderie and mutual admiration.

We are not professional graphic design artists, the calender is just for fun and something we thought would be nice to bring the community closer together. The Wiki of Awesomeness is a fan created website where anybody can post news, pictures, videos, art, and discussion related to your craft.

The characters and drama you and your company have created on screen have been the source of great discourse and heated debates, and have sowed the seeds of many friendships that will likely last for years. You are truly an amazing performer and an inspiration. Your talent, determination, strength, and good nature have carried you far and have made a permanent and lasting impression on all of us.

I have a rough draft of the calender description and intro. But I think it could maybe use an opening paragraph, and of course a bit more observation about why we are so enamored. What do you guys think so far?

I am not a writer, and writing letters is a lost art. It is one thing to come up with a turn of phrase, another thing entirely to compose a nice letter. smile2

My composition and spelling are a weakness, thank god for spellcheck. biggrin

Please feel free to edit, chop, copypaste, bin, and otherwise personalize and polish. I will do anything I can to help get it right. wink

chrisdvanne_ Post # 4 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 09:20
Let the slaughter begin!

1) You can't say in your intro "the calendar is just for fun" : it implies right from the start this is not to be taken seriously and will be received that way by your reader.
A more subtile approach would have been something like : it started like a fun idea between drunken members but little by little we got more involved and ended with a professional looking result. See the idea?

2) You don't insist enough on the creative and process aspect of the calendar : we're not talking...talks between friends on the pub or chat with friends online, we're talking a complex process of selecting guidelines, a template, graphics, adjusments, printing. The reader must feel the sweat of the people involved on the project.

3) A way to interest the reader is to tell a story and give life to it : there were moments of discouragement, we feared not beeing able to finish the project but then someone came with a new graphic of you and we felt inspired and could go on.

4) As i said on another thrread we must insist on the fact that the calendar is not made to stay inside the wiki but is a good way to promote the fan base on the web : "to show Summer, her fans and the web that simple fans, inspired by Summer Glau, could realise wonders".

Side note : i made this constructive remarks thinking that Summer herself shall read it, but also a member of her talent agency. We must prove that we're capable of promoting Summer Glau and her work and that we can be part of a larger communication plan if necessary. Act like a fan but always think marketing.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 11 Jun 2011, 09:53

Devo Post # 5 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 09:45
Quote (michelangelo)
Let the slaughter begin! 1) You can't say in your intro "the calendar is just for fun" : it implies right from the start this is not to be taken seriously and will be received that way by your reader. A more subtile approach would have been something like : it started like a fun idea between drunken members but little by little we got more involved and ended with a professional looking result. See the idea? 2) You don't insist enough on the creative and process aspect of the calendar : we're not talking...talks between friends on the pub or chat with friends online, we're talking a complex process of selecting guidelines, a template, graphics, adjusments, printing. The reader must feel the sweat of the people involved on the project.

I wanted to let the reader know that it was not something that was for sale. That is was made because it was fun and the motivation was not for any monetary gain or for donation to the site or anything like that. Without sounding like John Henry going into specifics. biggrin

The part about none of us being professional graphic artists I think say a lot about how much thoughtfulness and work was put into it with how well it turned out. A lot more work than someone who does it professionally.

I didn't mean to diminish the work at all, or trivialize it. I was trying to be modest.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 09:57
Quote (Devo)
Without sounding like John Henry going into specifics.

Exactly : my long enumeration list is not to be on the calendar, just the red words like "creative" or creation and another word that sums up the enumeration but that i can find in english : process of making a calendar or technical process or something like that.

The part about none of us being professional graphic artists

Good thing, keep it that way; but "just for fun" can be removed.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 11 Jun 2011, 10:00

chrisdvanne_ Post # 7 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 10:12
Quote (Devo)
The Wiki of Awesomeness is a fan created website where anybody can post news, pictures, videos, art, and discussion related to your craft.

Summer don't know us, this is important to present the wiki; the part you quote is important though i would not have used the word "anybody", we're not anybody. "every member can post..." would reinforce the impression of a community. At the same time, we must add a sentence implying there is someone driving the ship and that this is not anarchy. Why not quote Fermi, one of the most devoted and respected fan of Summer Glau on the web?
Why not add : "we're a growing community". It implies we're young but you will have to count with us in the future; this is the message we want to send (think marketing).

TheSavior Post # 8 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 10:13
I'm coming to this project too last to help, but can i make a point?
Feelings, emotion.
We are man, males, and explain all what we feel with reasoning. Females use emotion, let me explain.

A car. Two person, a male and a female make 1 hour good ride on that car. If asked why they feel so happy abot the trip:

Man: this car is so fast, strong, balanced and the country around is so green and gorgeous, the sun is shining.

Woman: i had feel the breeze flowing trough my hairs, the trip was comfortable i feel so good when we hit the green of the lands and i feel the heat of the sun on my face, burning also my heart.

ok maybe to much poetry, but i've made clear what i mean? ^^''

"This isn't the first time we've done this..."
Cameron

The world is Maya The Illusion. Illusions are the foundation of reality. I am the Lord of Illusions.
Me

Message edited by TheSavior - Saturday, 11 Jun 2011, 10:18

Devo Post # 9 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 11:02
We are not professional graphic design artists, the calender was inspired by you and created by folks who hold you in the highest regard. It's something we thought would bring our growing community closer together, and an outlet where some of the most devoted fans on the internet could turn their collective creativity and hard work into something beautiful. Although it was not easy with some of the less glamorous technical work and formatting, dedicated people pressed on in the hope that the results would be worth it. Our hope is that this tribute finds you in good spirits and lets you know that your hard work and the magic you bring to screens all over the world is cherished.

New draft.

I only misspelled one word this time. cool

chrisdvanne_ Post # 10 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 11:18
Despite my remarks i prefer the first one; it was better constructed imo.
I will let go for a moment, letting others give their opinion.

Devo Post # 11 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 11:54
Quote (michelangelo)
Despite my remarks i prefer the first one; it was better constructed imo. I will let go for a moment, letting others give their opinion.

It's a lot tougher than it sounds to express yourself in the written word. I always find getting started is the hardest part. wink

The letter really should be a collaboration, that's why I tried to start with a description and a sort of mission statement. Everyone here loves Summer, and telling her why might be best done with a few lines from everyone who wants to participate.

If the letter seemed cluttered because of a lot of redundancy we could always form a more concise message out of the points and feelings expressed.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 12 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 12:39
Quote (Devo)
It's a lot tougher than it sounds to express yourself in the written word. I always find getting started is the hardest part.

That is why every member should thank you for doing this. This is the first fraft and i'm pretty confident we will manage to write something good.

In its introduction, Fermi gave a structure for the letter, we just have to start from that. I disagree about the shortness of the letter though. I would prefer to write the letter according to a plan, then and only then make it shorter and more concise.
Here is the plan is suggest (very close from Fermi's and what you did on the first draft) :

1) Introduce the Summer Glau Wiki
2) "tell Summer how much we loved her previous work, how much we looking forward for her upcoming project and how much we love her"
3) "describe the calender project"

What we have to do is rephrase what you wrote on your fist draft by including members remarks and then improving it little by little.

Blazius Post # 13 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 16:13
I know I wasn't in the project but maybe I can help with the letter with a few suggestions.

1) In the introduction you should introduce the wiki a bit. I think a quick summary on the wikis features would be a good idea, I would definitely mention the Appreciation page for example. You can also mention the important members if you wish. I don't know if its a good idea or not to invite her to the site or not.

2) TheSavior made a good point: Summer is a lady and most importantly an artist.As such she is more sensitive and therefore writing in a more poetic or even sentimental way is a viable option. She will definitely understand it and it would carry more weight. I would write something like "we've enjoyed every moment we could spend with you ", "watching you was a life-changing experience","you worked so hard to achieve the above mentioned effects that we felt that we have to do the same for you"etc. Of course these are just very rough examples about the direction I'd bring the letter. We'd have to make these themes more subtle but still understandable.

3)You should obviously describe the project. Mentioning the hard work, the toughness, the creativity,the resolve of the participating members is a good idea however I would make it clear that this Project would not exist without her inspiring power so Summer would realize that she doesn't just create beautiful things herself but her name also inspires other talented people to do so.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 14 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 17:06
1)
I would definitely mention the Appreciation page for example

As said Devo, we should not go deep in the details and remember Summer is not tech-savy

Quote (Blazius)
the important members if you wish

There is no important member that i know of. There is two admins, Fermi and Charley (technical part) and the other members.

I don't know if its a good idea or not to invite her to the site or not.

Too soon imo and Summer is not tech-savy; i we succeed in raising her interest, she will do it by herself.

2) Yes. But not to the point we write the letter to "fool" her; let's write a draft and then we can make adjustment in one way or the other.

3) Yes. See red word on post#4

We're progressing. Btw, we write this letter in the name of all the members, it doesn't matter whether you particiapte to the calendar ot not; sending the calendar is just an opportunity but we would have send a letter anyway.

Message edited by michelangelo - Saturday, 11 Jun 2011, 17:11

Fermi Post # 15 | Saturday, 11 Jun 2011 - 17:23
Great work with the writing Devo and everybody posting suggestions. I agree with Michelagelos slaughter and I like the updated draft better. We want to give a serious impression and too much modesty can give the opposite. That we did not have much experience and knowledge in photoshop when starting this project , but we still manage with cooperation, hard work etc create something this beautiful. That is a message we want to send.

The intro need to be the strongest part of the letter and should in just one or two sentences capture the readers attention. The more describing part should come further down in the letter.

I think devos intro here does it well.

"We members of the Summer Glau Wiki of Awesomeness, an online community of adoring fans, have undertaken this fan-art calender project to celebrate you and your fantastic body of work in the spirit of camaraderie and mutual admiration."

The letter should not be longer than one page, divided into parts and using a 1.5 spacing. This because the text should be easy to read (much air). I copied some text into word to check and the text should be not longer than 300 words.

You doing a great work here!!

You can't stop the signal!

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » General discussion » Fan letter to Summer Glau
  • Page 1 of 8
  • »
Search: