menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau has switched agencies.
Summer Glau has switched agencies.
chrisdvanne_ Post # 46 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 07:36
Group: Administrators
Quote (Devo)
I think most of the comic book crowd didn't even give the show a chance, and the majority of people who tuned in until the final episode were Summer fans. And a lot of people who like Summer lost interest after the first couple episodes because of the concept and writing.

Do you remember the marketing campaing at the time, when they keep repeating that Tom Wheeler was a great comic book fan (which is certainly true) and him wanting to build "a gallery of villain like in Spiderman or Batman"? It fell totally flat. But they overdue it to the point that non comic book fans thought the serie was not made for them. The marketers saw that too and after a few weeks, a new serie of articles insisted upon the family drama and the characters development and not so much upon the "bigger than life" charracters and situations.
"No Ordinary Family" was marketed completely differently, more like of a family drama with superpowers. But very quickly, the quality of the writing makes the differenes and both shows failed.
Side note : at least Hollywood acknowledge Josh Friedman writing qualities but Tom Wheeler is roasted.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 47 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 07:46
@Blazius : i answered Devo before seeing you post but i see wee agree about the serie beeing marketed for comic book fan at the start then marketed for families; the plots of the first half of the season were clearly comic-book like (very Dick-Tracy like) whereas the plots of the second half of the season were more dramatic and character development oriented. It could have worked if the show was given the time to find his feet.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 48 | Friday, 17 Jun 2011 - 10:32
It looks like there is a leak at WME talen agency. JJ. Abrams has taken a break in his relationship with WME, according to Deadline.com.

Super 8 director JJ Abrams is taking a sabbatical from WME and will be repped by his former William Morris agent-turned-manager David Lonner as well as his longtime Jackoway Tyerman attorney Alan Wertheimer. Also advising JJ is John Fogelman, who also was on Team Abrams at William Morris and then repped him at WME when Lonner was exited before the merger. Fogelman has since left WME to start his own venture. Abrams feels his primary reps are gone, and he wants to take a breather before deciding who'll make his deals in the future.

For better understanding, you have to know that WME was created when William Morris Agency & the Endeavor Agency merged on 2009. More, the type of relation an artist has with its agent is similar to the one between a writer and its editor, the personal factor is very important. In Latin you would say there is an "intuitu personae" : it describes a relation between two persons that cannot be transfered to another person.
When a talent agent leaves a talent agency for another, he usually comes with his clients his his baggages.

I mention JJ. Abrams's example to show you the difference with Summer's change of agency; in Summer's case, it's not a matter of persons but a matter of bad performance from the agency (at first sight but it's only speculations).

On a side note, if Abrams decides to quit WME definitevely, it will be a hard hit for WME in terms of revenue (the commission of a talent agent is usually 10%).

Full article : J.J. Abrams Taking WME Agency Sabbatical: Will Be Repped By Manager And Lawyer at Dealine.com

chrisdvanne_ Post # 49 | Sunday, 19 Jun 2011 - 19:55
You know i like to measure things : if we could measure the trend of Summer Glau on twitter since one week, we would see a clear increase.

Fist there was the Summer signing with UTA, then the buzz around Knight of Badassdom and now Calgary Expo ; in the same time she cancelled The sporting Clay event and Starfury T3. Not to mention the Firefly week at Cliqueclak.com who turned into a Glau week.
Here at The Summer Glau Wiki, we have taken a large part to the hype of the last few days. We may have been manipulated or used at least by the new Public Relation agency she hired recently.

What better moment for an annoucement than the next few days, with people having fresh new (or old ) pictures of Summer in mind?

Message edited by michelangelo - Sunday, 19 Jun 2011, 19:58

chrisdvanne_ Post # 50 | Wednesday, 16 Nov 2011 - 16:37
UTA Moving To New Beverly Hills Location.

This is Summer's talent agency since she signed with them in mid April this year.

The informations provided by the Summer Glau Wiki in the Fanmail section are still accurate but will need an update when the company will move to its new location in late 2012.

Quote (Deadline)
UTA will begin its own multi-million dollar interior and exterior build-out in early 2012. UTA plans to move its 350 employees into the new building in late 2012.

UTA, currently located in Beverly Hills’ Golden Triangle district, will be the latest entertainment and media company to locate its global headquarters into this developing area of Beverly Hills, which is already home to companies such as Live Nation, YouTube, Netflix, Aol.com and Relativity Media.

“After 20 great years on Wilshire we are excited to have a new campus that will allow for our continued growth and provide an enhanced environment for our colleagues and clients,” said the UTA Board of Directors in a joint statement. “UTA Plaza will offer all the amenities we have been looking for, as well as foster a sense of community for UTA.”

Source : Deadline

chrisdvanne_ Post # 51 | Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013 - 10:16
I have witnessed several weird things recently that leads me to wonder what type of relations Summer Glau has with her talent agency/management.

I do not want to start a polemic whereas i do not know all the facts but i simply notice that:

1) Summer has switched talent agency on 2011, which seem to indicate she wasn't satisfied with the services provided by the previous one.

2) She mentioned last year at Emerald City Comicon that she was not satisfied with the way her fan mail was processed by her talent agency and decided to use a mail box run ber herself.

3) Her biography at upcoming Philiadelphia Comic Con was not updated (the most recent line mentioned her upcoming appearance on TNT's 'Scent of the Missing') and when i mentioned it to the con staff and provided an updated bio, they answered me that it was provided by her own management. After I insisted and they contacted Summer's management, they applied the modifications i submitted (including Summer's guest appearance on Hawaii Five-0)

When a simple fan has to do the work of an artist's management, it's usually the sign that something is wrong and the artist does not receive all the attention one could expect. Maybe i'm overreacting and all the facts i mention are simply "business as usual", i hope this is just that.

The1Russter Post # 52 | Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013 - 19:15
Group: Writer
The mention of 'Scent of the Missing' is weird considering that pilot never made it to air so no one outside of the production team and TNT's executives have seen it.

Summer Glau may have switched agencies in hopes of finding more and different work, but the people at that agency aren't on the ball when it comes to the simple stuff. You'd think making sure an actors portfolio was up-to-date before sending it off to an event where that actor would be appearing would be important.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles REUNION

Message edited by The1Russter - Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 19:29

Alex Post # 53 | Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013 - 19:42
Group: Bloggers
Quote (chrisdvanne)
When a simple fan has to do the work of an artist's management, it's usually the sign that something is wrong and the artist does not receive all the attention one could expect. Maybe i'm overreacting and all the facts i mention are simply "business as usual", i hope this is just that.

It probably is business as usual.

I suspect that in an agency, there is a hierarchy of activities. At the top, there are those activities that make money, such as booking a star for a role. Then come the activities that may lead to roles such as booking stars for publicity appearances, interviews, and the like. Then, near the bottom, there are those clerical tasks such as updates to biographies, handling fan mail, and so on. My guess too is that since everyone is trying to cut costs these days, it may well be that the clients get charged for any services. This is just speculation but it would not surprise me.

I believe that the highly ambitious people that work as agents probably focus on those activities that make money for themselves and the agency, gaining them prestige. There are probably a few people working on the lower level tasks who are extremely overworked and perhaps are not that happy in their jobs. These support people probably don't get a lot of support or guidance and they only get attention when something goes horribly wrong. I believe that they still have public hangings and firing squads in certain parts of Los Angeles.

If you are going through Hell, keep going.

Message edited by Alex - Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 19:44

chrisdvanne_ Post # 54 | Wednesday, 27 Feb 2013 - 11:21
Quote (The1Russter)
The mention of 'Scent of the Missing' is weird considering that pilot never made it to air so no one outside of the production team and TNT's executives have seen it.

The last line of the bio was: ""Most recently, Summer did an impressive guest appearance on ‘Alphas.’ And, it has just been announced that she will now be seen in the CBS TV pilot “Scent of the Missing” as Sedona with Tricia Helfer."", which was clearly oudated.
I've been invited by a friend to watch the pilot and have a beer or two; maybe next time i travel to Texas wink

Quote (Alex)
It probably is business as usual.

You're probably right Alex.

On the same topic, Summer Glau's management has a client portfolio and they legitimately try to maximise the fees that they receive from the actors/artists jobs; similarly, one can expect them to invest time and money on actors who are in an advantageous position to enter Hollywood's A-list.
That happens when you manage a young artist whose film is nominated to the Oscars or is presented in various prestigious film festivals around the world; you can easely imagine what this means in terms of fees and fame, compared to say a role in an Hallmark Channel tv movie.

I'm not saying that Summer's management is neglecting her; simply that they're investing the most on people with high potential according to Hollywood's standards, aka being young and beautiful, because they can expect the most return on investment.

Side note: I have not quoted actors's and movies's names but i have plenty of informations to back-up what i'm saying, trust me.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » General Discussions » News » Summer Glau has switched agencies.
Search: