menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Website » Make a Suggestion
Make a Suggestion
chrisdvanne_ Post # 31 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 16:53
Group: Administrators
As promised ealier, here is a draft of a site design : my goal is to make something more informative and more readable for the reader.

Click on image for full size

Work done :
* edited the "welcome" message (format, bigger size)
* moved to right and reduced size of "sign up" message
* moved to left "submit scoop" message
* moved up "news" bloc
* deleted Fanwallpaper (but can be put on bottom of page)
* added as an example the "Recents comment" board from Spoilertv; our "Forum Update" is not satisfactory yet better than nothing
* added as an example the "Recent Gallery Image" board from vampire-diaries.net; but it could as well be a "random image" or "next episode" (photo or trailer) or "random news highlight" board (static or slide-show).

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Fermi Post # 32 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 20:02
Quote (michelangelo)
If i have to refer to site oner day, what name should i use?
Btw, am i allowed to refer to the site in a comment on another site (when comenting on an article about Summer Glau or The Cape for example) ?

Summer Glau Wiki and yes refer to the site on other sites so more people can find us

You can't stop the signal!

Fermi Post # 33 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 20:04
Quote (michelangelo)
Work done :
* edited the "welcome" message (format, bigger size)
* moved to right and reduced size of "sign up" message
* moved to left "submit scoop" message
* moved up "news" bloc
* deleted Fanwallpaper (but can be put on bottom of page)
* added as an example the "Recents comment" board from Spoilertv; our "Forum Update" is not satisfactory yet better than nothing
* added as an example the "Recent Gallery Image" board from vampire-diaries.net; but it could as well be a "random image" or "next episode" (photo or trailer) or "random news highlight" board (static or slide-show).
I working on it

Recent comment is a widget use for disqus I cannot find a similar for ucoz.
the photowidget is a wordpress plugin.

Done
It would be possible to show content from the photogallery using cooliris widget I will work on it now it show videos from the wiki channel.

sorry if I whine I like getting suggestions. Keep up the good work

chrisdvanne_ Post # 34 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 23:10
Thanks for the encouragements!

As i said the examples i used in my draft are purely suggestive and cannot be copied; the wiki is best used as a discussion forum by design. But that's not a reason to make it unappealing.

To tell the truth is think that random images viewers or random video viewers are gadgets but it helps make the site look more fun.
On the contrary, a "Last News" slide show or "Recent Comments" board is informative and very useful for the reader. I know i like it a lot when i surf on other sites.
i think you should keep working on it because the one here fails at drawing the attention

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 14 Jan 2011, 02:34

Fermi Post # 35 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 02:46
Quote (Fermi)
install a youtube clone like phpmotion on fanfusion

The Summer Glau Wiki video Gallery http://photos.summer-glau.com/index.php?cat=9
too bad the thumbnails does not work angry need to figure out how to embedding those videos here

chrisdvanne_ Post # 36 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 08:04
Cooliris videos viewer worked fine for me.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 37 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 09:35
Buzzsugar news : again your link "touches" thebottom of the news. You should add a line break.

Fermi Post # 38 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 14:49
Quote (michelangelo)
Cooliris videos viewer worked fine for me.

We will use it to display the last additions in the gallery instead. We working on it.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 39 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 15:03
Quote (Fermi)
We will use it to display the last additions in the gallery instead.

Nice!

Improvement : the news is the most important visual and i think we could make it look better ; this is what i suggest.

The text should be next to the pict and not under it, otherwise a big black area is created. It should look like this (i took the example of TCA) :
Click on image for full size

I inserted on purpose different links (centered, aligned left or under the pict ) to let you choose which one you prefer.
Before suggesting more improvement about the news, i'd like to have your opinion.

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 14 Jan 2011, 15:31

Fermi Post # 40 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 16:03
Quote (michelangelo)
Improvement : the news is the most important visual and i think we could make it look better ; this is what i suggest.

The text should be next to the pict and not under it, otherwise a big black area is created. It should look like this (i took the example of TCA) :

We can do that. Just use the insert table button on the visual editor make two columns insert the picture in the left column and the text in the right. Text alignment can be adjusted by clicking edit cell in the toolbar.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 41 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 16:13
I tried the visual editor before but it didn't let me insert an image because i have not the permission (so it says); i will make another try later.

What i have really in mind is graphics standards because our news are too different, graphically speaking, and this can be confusing for readers (i have always the final user in mind when i suggest something). Example : you link to the url name directly when i change the name of the link.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 42 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 16:39
I had always thought that the "Forum" tab was useless; when surfing the site, i go from home page to Recent Post. I use the Forum page only to create a new topic on the correct section.

BUT i just realised that the kinf of "Recent comments" (or Forum Updates) i was looking for is already on the Forum page; it's the 4th column of the board called "Updates".
It would be just fine if you could find a way to insert this column (without the sections names) as a list on the home page.

Edit : i forgot to tell that the" date link" on top redirect to the last message (this is what we want) and not the begining of the thread.

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 14 Jan 2011, 16:53

Fermi Post # 43 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 16:45
Quote (michelangelo)
I tried the visual editor before but it didn't let me insert an image because i have not the permission

No it should work I checked with your usergroup (ucoz have a feature allowing an admin to view the site with different usergroups) and it where no problem inserting an image

chrisdvanne_ Post # 44 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 16:51
The news look better imo. Less waist of space, less big black empty space.

Ideas :
1) insert a left and right margin for the text so it doesn't "touch" the image or the board on the right.
2) use thumbnails or reduced images because there is still a black space, especially when the text is short (example : latest Gallery Update news); the high ideals would be to use picts from the same size each time (graphics standards)

Fermi Post # 45 | Friday, 14 Jan 2011 - 18:25
Quote (michelangelo)
the last message (this is what we want) and not the begining of the thread.

done

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Website » Make a Suggestion
Search: