menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Website » Make a Suggestion
Make a Suggestion
chrisdvanne_ Post # 16 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 12:13
Group: Administrators
I'm not sure if i must put all polls in the "Vote for Summer" thread or in the Cape section;

In more general terms, it becomes more and more difficult to separate Summer Glau news from The Cape news; but that's another debate.

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

chrisdvanne_ Post # 17 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 12:24
I think we should indicate in a new thread title what it is about : polls or pictures or Behind-The Scene or whatever.
Otherwise the readers might be confused and don't look at the thread.

Example : you could add cartoon or video cartoon to "The White hand" (or maybe it was made on purpose to intrigue the readers)

I think this should be a rule for every post we make.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 18 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 15:04
@ Fermi : It looks like Summerglauwiki twitter account repeats only the news from the homepage; this is a pity because all the news and scoops added in the forum (and there is lot these days) are omitted.

Summerglauwiki on twitter

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011, 15:06

chrisdvanne_ Post # 19 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 15:43
There is something i find annoying while browsing through the wiki; when i am on the main page and want to see all the Recents Posts (not one in particular as in the Forum Update board) i must click first on the Forum link on top left of the main page then wait for the page to load and then click on Recent Posts on top right.
(Same problem btw with wetpaint wiki)

Maybe you could add a Recent Posts link next to the Forum link and make the readers gain a lot of time (another way to highlight the discussion btw); or you could change the Forum Update title into a clickable , redirecting directly to the recents posts.

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011, 15:46

Fermi Post # 20 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 18:55
Quote (michelangelo)
It looks like Summerglauwiki twitter account repeats only the news from the homepage; this is a pity because all the news and scoops added in the forum (and there is lot these days) are omitted.
I connected the news feed to twitter. connecting twitter to the forum feed is not a good idea as it will spam our followers with updates on the termination game. A user could also create offensive threads and those would appear on our twitter. I can do more tweets manually.

Quote (michelangelo)
or you could change the Forum Update title into a clickable , redirecting directly to the recents posts.
done

I need to think about the rest

You can't stop the signal!

chrisdvanne_ Post # 21 | Tuesday, 11 Jan 2011 - 19:40
Quote (Fermi)
I connected the news feed to twitter. connecting twitter to the forum feed is not a good idea as it will spam our followers with updates on the termination game. A user could also create offensive threads and those would appear on our twitter. I can do more tweets manually.

That is the voice of wisdom; i wasn't implying to connect automatically the thread to Twitter, just saying that the twitter account doesn't reflect the thread posting activity. Unfortunately i don't have a solution.

Quote (Fermi)
done

It works!

Another point : when i'm on the home page, i can see the connected member (statistic menu on the left) but not when i'm on the Forum or Recent Posts page.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 22 | Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 - 11:50
As you've seen, i have worked on the presentation of the news.
I use thumbnails to illustrate a news; these images should not be clickable. Yet they are at the moment and it opens a new tab in my pict hosting serveur.

I must also work on thumbnail system for the promo pictures : thumnails on the news that links to bigger pictures when you click them.

I must say i have problems with pictures rignt now (no preview for news) but i will take some time in the future to solve this.

Fermi Post # 23 | Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 - 14:12
Quote (michelangelo)
I use thumbnails to illustrate a news; these images should not be clickable. Yet they are at the moment and it opens a new tab in my pict hosting serveur.

I removed those links. I have changed the settings for the module so you can use the visual editor instead if you think that is harder you can press
the BB Codes Panel link to open the old panel

chrisdvanne_ Post # 24 | Wednesday, 12 Jan 2011 - 14:39
Quote (Fermi)

I removed those links.

Thanks but i think you forgot to remove the link attached to The Cape - Episode1.05.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 25 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 00:52
@Fermi : i owe you apologies because i bothered you for days about a direct link between the home page and the recent posts whereas it was in front of my eyes, in the middle of the page . Namely : "Join the discussions with other fans here! "

Yet i think the layout is not optimum; though a welcome message is friendly, its presence in the middle of the page is not optimum.

The news should be aligned horizontaly (almost) with the "Menu" on the left; this way the readers should'nt have to scroll down to see several news (depends on the size of the news and the size of the screen of course).

The right part on top of the page, next to the banner is free. Or it could be placed above the forum update.

Moreover, you should put some space between your lines. Your news about the question to SG is difficult to read.
You should add a line break before and after the "@Buddytv made..." line

Get used to it : i'm never satisfied, for the better of course wink

Fermi Post # 26 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 02:12
Quote (michelangelo)
though a welcome message is friendly, its presence in the middle of the page is not optimum.

I tried to move the text but it did not look good. it should be the first thing people read when visiting the site
Quote (michelangelo)
The right part on top of the page, next to the banner is free.

Not sure what you mean, but try to set your screen resolution to 1024X768 you will see why. Now the page looks wild with that resolution, but that because your picture in the news post "Scales on a Train - Promotional Photos" is too wide.

Edit I changed that. One should not have images or videos wider than 450 px in the news. We have had complaints from people with low resolution monitors before.

Quote (michelangelo)
Moreover, you should put some space between your lines. Your news about the question to SG is difficult to read.
You should add a line break before and after the "@Buddytv made..." line

Done

chrisdvanne_ Post # 27 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 02:59
Incoherence : the wiki has three different names

1) "Summer glau fans" on the banner image

2) "Summer Glau fan site" on the welcome message

3) "Summerglauwiki" on twitter

I'm working on a modified layout; show it to you tomorrow.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 28 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 09:38
Quote (Fermi)
Not sure what you mean, but try to set your screen resolution to 1024X768 you will see why.

I have a 26" screen, which is why there free space on the left.
I simulated a 19" screen and saw the difference...and little to no free space.

Quote (Fermi)
One should not have images or videos wider than 450 px in the news. We have had complaints from people with low resolution monitors before.

Noted.

Fermi Post # 29 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 12:04
Quote (michelangelo)
Incoherence : the wiki has three different names

1) "Summer glau fans" on the banner image

2) "Summer Glau fan site" on the welcome message

3) "Summerglauwiki" on twitter

Summer Glau Wiki is the domain name and the most used name. The title of the site is Summer Glau Fan Site-the Wiki of Awesomeness. It used to be Summer Glau Wiki-the Wiki of Awesomeness in the title and banner. I change that because the word wiki was used twice. Fansite is used because I think it would get more clicks from google than wiki.

Our google ranking is still on page 2 when searching for Summer Glau with several non important pages ranked higher than us. Often when adding an extra word to the search like Summer Glau HQ or Fansite this sites get high ranking, but most people just search for Summer Glau. I think the only way to improve the ranking is if more high quality sites is linking to this site and to keep the site updated.

I used fans in the banner because the word Fan site was too long and did not fit

chrisdvanne_ Post # 30 | Thursday, 13 Jan 2011 - 15:10
Thanks for explaining.

If i have to refer to site oner day, what name should i use?
Btw, am i allowed to refer to the site in a comment on another site (when comenting on an article about Summer Glau or The Cape for example) ?

Message edited by michelangelo - Thursday, 13 Jan 2011, 16:20

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Website » Make a Suggestion
Search: