menu
person
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Play with River Tam & Co in Firefly Universe Online MMORPG
Play with River Tam & Co in Firefly Universe Online MMORPG
chrisdvanne_ Post # 1 | Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 - 14:56
Group: Administrators
River Tam in Firefly Universe Online MMORPG

"Firefly Universe Online" is a Sci-fi MMORPG that draws inspiration from television series Firefly and Serenity movie. The game was originally developed by Fox and Multiverse, but DarkCryo entertainment secured the rights to continue developing it for both PC and Mac.

In Firefly Universe Online, there will be three factions available; Browncoats, Reavers, and the Alliance. But professional indie game developers behind the project also disclosed that they may update more factions in the future development.

The trailer for the "Firefly Universe Online" MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) unveils the release date.

"Firefly Universe Online" Official Site

Now if they could do the same for Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles wink

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 15:29

chrisdvanne_ Post # 2 | Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 - 17:20
If you're interested in playing as soon as the Sandbox environment is released (see spoiler above), you have to sign up for an Ident by March 15th.
The website will be sending out a mass email notification the week of March 19th inviting all Idents to secure their seat for this first launch.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012, 18:51

riversfeet Post # 3 | Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 - 18:34
Group: Friends
Why yes, I'd love to play with River. biggrin

"My favorite thing about River is that she gets to be barefoot so much of the time. I don't like shoes very much." - Summer Glau

Marcel93 Post # 4 | Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 - 19:43
Cool link for Download please

http://www.fanfiction.net
http://www.fanfiktion.de

Marcel93 Post # 5 | Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 - 19:47
I found it did the same time log ^ ^

chrisdvanne_ Post # 6 | Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 - 19:58
I can imagine some of you can't wait to play that game but you'll have to be patient; the sandbox version is scheduled for the end of this year only.

Marcel93 Post # 7 | Wednesday, 29 Feb 2012 - 23:17
Oh yes, but why now? The universe is like jokes XD

Fox012 Post # 8 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 01:39
Group: Users
Interesting. When the first frame of the trailer says: " the following is not endorsed by parent copyright holders", I'm left to wonder how far this will go. If it is not endorsed, does that mean it is not licensed as well? Could this just be a stunt to atempt to win a licensing deal?

This'll see the light of day and be killed instantly.
Too bad. I still pine for a Firefly continuation (even if it's a different ship/crew in the same universe).

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

Blazius Post # 9 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 02:09
Actually I wondered why they haven't done this yet. There are more than enough factions, locations for an MMO in Firefly. And most importantly a story which just begs for a continuation and development.

I don't suppose Summer will do VOs for River, will she?

Though my only gripe with the MMO approach is that you probably can't play as River sad . But then she could be at least a permanent party member! Imagine how epic would be to team up with River and kill things together! I want to be her sidekick biggrin !

Quote (chrisdvanne)
Now if they could do the same for Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles

True. Terminator in is a very good material too but sadly its lacking in the game department. There are just a few games of the entire franchise and they are either very old, not very good or you can only play as a human. Now I ask why would I want to play as a human in a franchise about killer robots? Of course if there'd be a Terminator game of any short it should be TSCC themed with Cameron either as PC or permanent party member smile

Quote (Fox012)
Interesting. When the first frame of the trailer says: " the following is not endorsed by parent copyright holders", I'm left to wonder how far this will go. If it is not endorsed, does that mean it is not licensed as well? Could this just be a stunt to atempt to win a licensing deal?

This'll see the light of day and be killed instantly.
Too bad. I still pine for a Firefly continuation (even if it's a different ship/crew in the same universe).

If its not licensed but they ask money for it then it gets killed in a blink of an eye. I think its only OK if they do it for free( unlikely).

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Fox012 Post # 10 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 02:19
Quote (Blazius)
If its not licensed but they ask money for it then it gets killed in a blink of an eye. I think its only OK if they do it for free( unlikely).

So you say if I go out and make for example a Tscc MMO (who would not be the sidekick of cameron?) and make it for free I'm good? all copyright is then for Manure? I don't think so plus if you never can ask for money how will you cover the server costs once the servers are crowed the server's Costs Will be through the roof!

and just don't charge for a service you don't own doesent protect you from Copyright claims or charges of Copyright Infringement unless this company has a License the Game is doomed...

"I saw the victims of a senseless crime, I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath." -- Jessica "Redfield" Ghawi

Blazius Post # 11 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 02:25
Quote (Fox012)
So you say if I go out and make for example a Tscc MMO (who would not be the sidekick of cameron?) and make it for free I'm good? all copyright is then for Manure? I don't think so plus if you never can ask for money how will you cover the server costs once the servers are crowed the server's Costs Will be through the roof!

and just don't charge for a service you don't own doesent protect you from Copyright claims or charges of Copyright Infringement unless this company has a License the Game is doomed...

Not sure, I'm not a lawyer and I've never made such projects before but I know instances when somebody used a games engine and made essentially a new game out of it for example about Terminator with otherwise copyrighted content like names, sounds, models resembling endoskeletons etc. and nobody had problem with it because it was downloadable for free. But an MMO and a brand new game might be different so IDK how exactly the law applies there.

And of course it was only a theoretical observation since nobody would ever make an MMO for free.

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 01 Mar 2012, 02:28

Fox012 Post # 12 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 02:36
Well They plan to make it free and i don't think FOX as Copyright holder will endorse it they rather Kill it instantly

so my Hopes for this game even I want it to see is very small...

chrisdvanne_ Post # 13 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 02:36
I've uploeded this trailer here for entertainment purpose but as Fox012 and Blazius stated, there's some serious copyright issues here and there is no guarantee the game will see the light one day.

The developers have said they wanted to stay within fair use by calling it a parody, but that doesn't look like a parody to me. It's looking more like fanfic territory at the moment, which is not covered by fair use.

The fact that the characters have a "cartoonish" look should be the least of their problem indeed.

Message edited by chrisdvanne - Thursday, 01 Mar 2012, 08:58

Fox012 Post # 14 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 02:46
I Agree with you Chris they should have done the paperwork first once the license is imprinted in stone you can start to make the MMO but what makes me doubt this is serious & legal is the fact that they run their servers in Panama china & the Netherlands (all country' s that don't comply with DMCA take down notice's or take downs in general) most servers where you are able to watch movies and download pirated materials of any kind are located in this country's

I think they know why they don' t have servers in the US

Message edited by Fox012 - Thursday, 01 Mar 2012, 02:52

Blazius Post # 15 | Thursday, 01 Mar 2012 - 03:02
Yeah, it'd be very nice if they could do this but it seems copyright infringement suspect. The parody factor most certainly doesn't apply here. I think if they made it a regular game and free they could have get away with it somehow but making it an outright MMO is suicide. They should have thought about this before they started.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » Play with River Tam & Co in Firefly Universe Online MMORPG
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search: