menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River Tam, a mind-reader or more?
River Tam, a mind-reader or more?
FordStaff Post # 31 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 03:15
Group: Friends
I think the Alliance would fall to the hands of the Suns because they must be the main enemies of River and the crew in the end of the series.

This is certainly a possibility, but not the only one. The Blue Sun Corporation could go rogue and pursue River while merely ignoring the Alliance. Perhaps recovering River will help them attain the capabilities to take control of the Alliance. I mention this just because I do not imagine the Blue Sun Corporation as immediately taking control of the Alliance. It would be better story wise too because you could have three separate factions - Serenity's Crew - Alliance - Blue Sun Corporation.

That would open up far more opportunities than there were when it was merely Alliance and Blue Sun together pursuing River. There could even be situations where Malcolm would need to work for the Alliance against the Blue Sun (intriguing particularly for his character) even perhaps an offer from the Blue Sun to help him take out the Alliance (even more intriguing, will he betray some of his crew members like Jayne for something he wants?). Not to mention this dynamic would give the ability to showcase the altruistic tendencies in the Alliance that Joss Whedon claimed they have, but was almost never shown in the series. This would add that more moral ambiguity to the Alliance that they were suppose to have (rather than seeming only lawful stupid and or lawful evil).

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 03:18

Blazius Post # 32 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 03:38
Quote (FordStaff)
This is certainly a possibility, but not the only one. The Blue Sun Corporation could go rogue and pursue River while merely ignoring the Alliance. Perhaps recovering River will help them attain the capabilities to take control of the Alliance. I mention this just because I do not imagine the Blue Sun Corporation as immediately taking control of the Alliance. It would be better story wise too because you could have three separate factions - Serenity's Crew - Alliance - Blue Sun Corporation.

That would open up far more opportunities than there were when it was merely Alliance and Blue Sun together pursuing River. There could even be situations where Malcolm would need to work for the Alliance against the Blue Sun (intriguing particularly for his character) even perhaps an offer from the Blue Sun to help him take out the Alliance (even more intriguing, will he betray some of his crew members like Jayne for something he wants?). Not to mention this dynamic would give the ability to showcase the altruistic tendencies in the Alliance that Joss Whedon claimed they have, but was almost never shown in the series. This would add that more moral ambiguity to the Alliance that they were suppose to have (rather than seeming only lawful stupid and or lawful evil).

The possibilities are infinite of course. It pains to even think about how many brilliant, intriguing storylines could have been conceived in that universe. And arguably the best are involving River, the Alliance and the Blue Suns.

I think maybe the slight problem with the series was that it was a bit too focused on the western part and not enough in the sci-fi part like River and the Suns. However its also true that first seasons are used to be preparations to the real mind blowing later seasons in many cases so its not an excuse for cancellation but rather an indication that the audience wasn't patient enough.

That said I hope we can continue our conversations tomorrow FordStaff, I'm glad that you joined here and brought a fresh point of view to the old debates and even encouraged old members to give their opinions. In the meantime I'm a little tired( its late here in Europe) so see ya tomorrow!

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

FordStaff Post # 33 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 04:02
I think maybe the slight problem with the series was that it was a bit too focused on the western part and not enough in the sci-fi part like River and the Suns. However its also true that first seasons are used to be preparations to the real mind blowing later seasons in many cases so its not an excuse for cancellation but rather an indication that the audience wasn't patient enough.

I would have to disagree about audiences losing patients with the western theme. Fox mishandled the program from the beginning and any loss from the western aspects were likely far outweighed by the loss to frustrated viewers who find (or do not find ) the show in a different time slot every week, or get confused when episodes mention something that has yet to happen due to the seemingly mindless order of the episodes. I do not know the inner workings of how they handle television shows in the slightest, but Firefly is the only show I have ever heard of which got so screwed. I can not name any other show that gets its episodes scrambled or was switched so many times (and to the Friday night death slot). Not only that ,but Fox hardly advertised the show and even when they did the advertisements were not very indicative of the feel of the show (it was advertised as purely adventure-comedy when it clearly is not).

I do not see how any of these decisions could be justified considering the production costs and the fact that the show was given a chance purely because of the success of other Joss Whedon shows. If they want a show to take off and put so much money in it why on earth did they not advertise it and give it a good consistent time slot at least for a while? I seriously can not comprehend why they would even bother if their betrayal was so swift and yet inevitable.

You may be a little right about the western parts though, but from my personal experience I went in thinking I would not even like the show because of the western elements, yet I thoroughly enjoyed the contrast between the SF and western elements. The later seasons would have been thoroughly mind blowing I believe and would certainly amplify the SF theme as was seen in the Big Damn Movie. If nothing else I would have loved to see more episodes from River's perspective like "Objects In Space". That was one of the best episodes of any show I have ever seen.

KrelleK Post # 34 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 11:04
Quote (Blazius)
Quote (FordStaff)

The possibilities are infinite of course. It pains to even think about how many brilliant, intriguing storylines could have been conceived in that universe. And arguably the best are involving River, the Alliance and the Blue Suns.

That said I hope we can continue our conversations tomorrow FordStaff, I'm glad that you joined here and brought a fresh point of view to the old debates and even encouraged old members to give their opinions. In the meantime I'm a little tired( its late here in Europe) so see ya tomorrow!

I think you should try reading some of the fanfics there has been written of firefly/serenity, at fireflyfans.net, bluesunroom, there are many good ones, but you could especially try the ones by the one calling himself Briglad, ,he has made quite a few very good ones, like one where the original founder of Bluesun is found drifting in a little spaceship in the black out of Boros(bluesun was in on the building of the ark ships. that brought humanity to the verse.)

but also the one calling himself ScrewtheAlliance - he made a great, not to quite epic(atleast to me)story that bound that bridged the vacum between the series and the movie. in a greath way. and at a point brings back to life a certain someone, Shan Yu

then there is hotpoint his stories are also greath but they was begun before the bdm, and in so Wash is still alive and so is book.

FordStaff Post # 35 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 11:15
I have contemplated writing a fanfic continuing from the big damn movie, just because I love extrapolating the story in my mind so much (which is why I analyze the series so closely). I am a bad writer though so I doubt it would end well unless I really worked on it.

There is one site with shooting scripts for a second season written by fans. They write it as a replacement for the movie covering the same plot points but over a season. http://www.stillflying.net./

KrelleK Post # 36 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 18:28
Briglad has also started a fanfic-series that goes after the big damn movie, where they are asked to fly some earth that was-stuff for Durin Haymer, but while they are in the black, River begins to show one of the boxes(supposely art)much attention for some reason, and they choose to open the box - can anyone guess what is in it? biggrin

KrelleK Post # 37 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 18:33
Quote (Blazius)
Thanks! Its good to hear from an original Wiki member. I used to read your posts and when I joined I hoped that I can be a part of the old circle but now with your return part of my wish is fulfilled.

well glad to hear you think what i have written of my views are intelligent, and worth reading :-)

the reason i have been of a bit, is that have school work to do, while also reading some starwars books a friend of mine found online somewhere.

but glad to see you have banked up a fine amount of post in the mean time :-)

FordStaff Post # 38 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 21:24
River begins to show one of the boxes(supposely art)much attention for some reason, and they choose to open the box - can anyone guess what is in it? biggrin

Another Blue Sun Corporation experiment?

KrelleK Post # 39 | Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 - 01:53
Quote (FordStaff)
Another Blue Sun Corporation experiment?

No it is not, I should have revealed a bit more, sorry my bad. biggrin

I could mention it is a crossover fic biggrin

nah i just come out an say it, no need to tease anymore, lets just say River will now get a "twin sister" that is quite strong, but do not swim biggrin

FordStaff Post # 40 | Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 - 02:23
Did not think of that. I have read very little fan fiction and none that was a crossover. I wonder if humanoid robots would ever have appeared in the firefly universe had the series continued. I really doubt it; the only robots would likely be similar to the ones in the episode "Trash", in that they fulfill only a single function without sentience like the factory robots of today. The exploration of humanity in a science fiction without all the extra sentience (aliens robots) is one of the things I appreciated about Firefly. Not that robots and aliens are bad just that there is little space opera without them. In fact Firefly had many aspects that little space opera type fiction employs - no faster than light travel, only humans, non-idealized society.

Blazius Post # 41 | Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 - 03:42
Quote (KrelleK)
the reason i have been of a bit, is that have school work to do, while also reading some starwars books a friend of mine found online somewhere.

Star Wars? Now I know why I found your posts so interesting biggrin

Welcome back anyhow.

Quote (KrelleK)
but glad to see you have banked up a fine amount of post in the mean time :-)

Yeah, I've been busy on this site lately.

BTW would you be interested in resurrecting the Viewers Club? You, Michelangelo, me, maybe Cameron, Termi-ninja-tor, plus anybody else who'd like to participate would be a good start I think. The hardest part would be finding a day good for anyone obviously but I don't think we couldn't come up with something.

Of course newer members are always welcome too!

Message edited by Blazius - Thursday, 20 Oct 2011, 03:47

KrelleK Post # 42 | Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 - 11:54
Quote (Blazius)
Yeah, I've been busy on this site lately.

BTW would you be interested in resurrecting the Viewers Club? You, Michelangelo, me, maybe Cameron, Termi-ninja-tor, plus anybody else who'd like to participate would be a good start I think. The hardest part would be finding a day good for anyone obviously but I don't think we couldn't come up with something.

Of course newer members are always welcome too

I did not know it needed revival, but could be I was interested biggrin

KrelleK Post # 43 | Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 - 12:06
the stories by screwthealliance is also very good, it starts with Kaylee´s Lament.

where mal and zoe looks to buy something stuff from somebody to sell on, they are not looking for anything specific, they find some special seeds, but take a list to show to simon if it is something of use, and this sets Simons criminal mastermind in overdrive. and a plan is set in motion, that involves for the crew to play acting in dress up, to scam the alliance out of some of it´s hightec stuff, and more medical drugs.... you really should try it it´s greath biggrin

KrelleK Post # 44 | Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 - 12:07
it also involve some of River mind reading at some point biggrin

Blazius Post # 45 | Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 - 19:27
Quote (KrelleK)
I did not know it needed revival, but could be I was interested

Sadly it needs sad . Last time I suggested a change in the time and everybody agreed but next week nobody was there except Cameron and me. Since nobody wants to post a new day, and time which'd be good to him and we are stuck. If you are interested please post your day and time in the viewers club thread : http://summer-glau.com/forum/23-20-4

And of course you can bump the thread occasionally or write a few lines how awesome the club is or I don't know what else we could do.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River Tam, a mind-reader or more?
Search: