menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River Tam, a mind-reader or more?
River Tam, a mind-reader or more?
FordStaff Post # 16 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 10:43
Group: Friends
well to be honest in some episodes and in Serenity they said that she was able to predict the future in a small amount of time. Mal go to rob the bank saying that. And Tam "feel" the rivers before they approch, also if she start to cry only when they attack. Also when Jubal enter the serenity, River was alredy-ready to move on a plan she has articolated a lot fo time early XD

She never demonstrates the ability to predict the future at least not any further than being one of the smartest people to have lived would get you. All those examples are perfectly explained by her ability to read minds. She was already heading to Jubal Early's ship because she could read his mind as he approached and devised the plan before he got on board. Serenity's hull does not magically prevent her psychic abilities from extending in to space (this is reinforced in the episode "Bushwacked" when she could read something from the abandoned ship and in Serenity when she read the reavers before their attack)

Also whats with the scary, Reaver-voiced invisible thing on Miranda? What was it exactly? It was clearly sentient but there were no Reavers in proximity. I just wonder because that was a very noticeable , important scene in the film but it was a bit unexplained a bit.

I fully believe that this was just an effect to make the moment more weird and scary and not suppose to be taken as any indication of River's Powers. It is far more likely an indication of her insanity, after all it was shown in "Objects In Space" that from her perspective she sometimes hallucinates and does not even perceive the world as it is. This could just be another instance of hallucination other wise there really is no explanation. (well except that the reaver screaming was read from the mind of a deceased person but look at the wall of text below for the demonstration of detecting the dead)

A simple mind reader could not feel anything because obviously the corpses no longer possess a mind. So what was that? River can feel the dead somehow, but how exactly? She said that she can hear them which means that the dead have a "sound" but they are saying nothing like a living people would, but they definitely have a presence which River can sense and this presence seems so intense and unpleasant that it causes pain to River. So are there ghosts in the Firefly universe and River is able to detect them or what? In the show she could also find the dead people on the Reaver attacked ship so there is definitely something with them. So explanations?

Interesting you mention ghosts in the episode "Bushwacked" when approaching the abandoned ship that was attacked by reavers the crew wonders what will be on board and River literally has only the word "Ghost" to say. Now before we claim there are ghosts in the firefly universe there are two explanations I can give that are more science fiction. Often times River speaks very cryptically so it is possible that by "Ghost" she meant the one live passenger left aboard to die. How does this match up? Well ghosts are manifestations of a human after death when they cannot move on due to some incident, but are suppose to. The man that was left aboard should have been killed by the reavers but was instead forced to watch everyone else die and live on. Now that he has seen the black he can not (go back) move on or die much like a ghost (until Mal chokes the crap out of him).

My second explanation is far more involved although I prefer it by far. We know that Joss Whedon was setting up many plot lines that were suppose to be settled over several seasons so clearly some things got left in the dust in the movie. With this in mind we can conclude that River can indeed get some form of psychic reading from the dead that is very limited. So in the "Bushwacked" episode she could sense the dead before boarding the ship and therefore there were "Ghost" aboard the ship. This is enforced in Serenity when something similar happens on Miranda.

Further proof of this is the Hands of Blue activity during the series. Why on earth are they scrambling the brains of everyone in their path in some ridiculously elaborate manner? It is suggested that River can psychically read the dead to some form so it would make sense for the Hands of Blue to scramble the brains of those involved if they know that the capability to get information from dead brains exists. They would want to avoid leaving a trail that other psychics including River or the possibly the Alliance could receive from the corpses by damaging their brains beyond reading. I have little doubt had the series continued the Hands of Blue would be shown gathering information from corpses through some machine that imitates River's psychic abilities or themselves (possibly they were the original experiments and thus psychics themselves).

In conclusion River never demonstrated outright premonition (extreme intelligence combined with psychic readings came pretty close however, but this is not at all the same thing). The only abilities of River known for sure psychic wise is the ability to read minds from the range of emotion to memories to current thoughts (essentially fully psychic detection, but it is firmly implied she never gets much full control of what she reads). It is implied that this psychic reading can apply to the deceased to a very limited manner, but this is never refined past suggestion. Had the series continued I am 99% certain that not only was this occurring, but the Blue Sun Corporation was quite aware of the ability and was taking action in accordance with this knowledge (perhaps even developing technology and or more psychics who could replicate the ability which would be quite valuable). I really wish I could ask Joss Whedon whether he was implying this during the series and was gonna flesh it out in later seasons.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 11:03

KrelleK Post # 17 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 23:50
Quote (Blazius)
So here is my favorite : When River was on Miranda in Serenity she was strangely nervous since she arrived. She acted as if there were Reavers close to her however the above planet shots clearly showed that the Reaver fleet is far from the planet. Important thing is that she and the crew saw corpses on the road but she wasn’t frightened by them, she totally ignored them. After a few moments the crew accidentally activated an advertisement. Suddenly River felt a frightening presence which came closer to her and we can hear a Reaver-like voice. She turns and there is nothing behind her. After the crew is unable to determine what killed the people, Rivers nervousness changed into outright panic and she started crying. She acted exactly as when she was surrounded by Reavers and she said the following things(this one is from the online script of Serenity, between the [] marks are words spoken in Chinese in the film I suppose) :

[Merciful God please take me away], make them stop, they're everywhere, every city every house every room, they're all inside me, I can hear them all and they're saying nothing! GET UP! PLEASE, GET THEM UP! [I will close my ears and my hearth and I will be a stone], please God make me a stone...

A simple mind reader could not feel anything because obviously the corpses no longer possess a mind. So what was that? River can feel the dead somehow, but how exactly? She said that she can hear them which means that the dead have a "sound" but they are saying nothing like a living people would, but they definitely have a presence which River can sense and this presence seems so intense and unpleasant that it causes pain to River. So are there ghosts in the Firefly universe and River is able to detect them or what? In the show she could also find the dead people on the Reaver attacked ship so there is definitely something with them. So explanations?

It is indeed an interesting topic, and so is your thoughts about the deads presence that I suppose it is what she feels. Is it possible that the dead somehowhas left an imprint on the place, due to the PAX forced them to calm down so much that they could not fight off the chemical induced lethargy, but they could feel what was happening to them, that each one died knowing what was killing him or her, but not able to move or speak or anything else.

KrelleK Post # 18 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 23:57
Quote (Granite)
The second option - River is very sensitive, perhaps a lot of emotion, highlighted in the process of death or transformation of the population Miranda, remained until the arrival of Serenity (in buildings or the bodies themselves)

perhaps a little like the dead scream of Alderanian people(yes i know i should keep it in the verse)through the force as the dead pulverise the planet, but due to the fact this went so slowly, that the "mediclorian" is still there "transmiting" just notting to transmit

Blazius Post # 19 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:05
Quote (FordStaff)
She never demonstrates the ability to predict the future at least not any further than being one of the smartest people to have lived would get you. All those examples are perfectly explained by her ability to read minds. She was already heading to Jubal Early's ship because she could read his mind as he approached and devised the plan before he got on board. Serenity's hull does not magically prevent her psychic abilities from extending in to space (this is reinforced in the episode "Bushwacked" when she could read something from the abandoned ship and in Serenity when she read the reavers before their attack)

Out of Gas? Moments before the firestorm almost reached the diner section she said: "Fire". I don't think the fire has a mind on its own. Of course its possible that its not precognition but her senses are heightened instead but mind-reading doesn't explain this at all I think. The interesting part is that she felt it way before anyone else noticed it despite Mal and Zoe probably got used to constantly monitoring their sorroundings during the war( and probably Shepherd Book as well) .

Moreover there are also the fights. She fights like a Jedi from SW and while they are telepaths as well the use precognition for fights, reading perfectly and evading every attacking attempt from the minds of the Reavers would be extremely difficult and its questionable too how much she could even read them. But I admit that precognition is not the only answer to her fighting skills. Note: River came out unharmed from the fights while using only melee weapons while both of her opponents used guns as well.

Summer Glau is so awesome, it isn't even funny!
Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for the Skull Throne!

KrelleK Post # 20 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:12
Quote (TheSavior)
"Sharingan" of the Ranuto Cartoon series XD she has something like that...can see in the future. sometime for just a second...sometime for more.

LOL I have more than once considered asking why you(I assume it is you)in the avatar was dressed as Zabusa Momomochi or what ever it is he is called :-)

but in Rivers case I think it might be more of that she can read/tune in on for example the sight of the ones she is reading, while somehow reading what one intends to do like if one the reavers behind her try with a slash from right shoulder and down, she can see the distance between them and then make sure to be out of the way, or block it

FordStaff Post # 21 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:29
Moreover there are also the fights. She fights like a Jedi from SW and while they are telepaths as well the use precognition for fights, reading perfectly and evading every attacking attempt from the minds of the Reavers would be extremely difficult and its questionable too how much she could even read them. But I admit that precognition is not the only answer to her fighting skills. Note: River came out unharmed from the fights while using only melee weapons while both of her opponents used guns as well.

In the Bar fight she actually does get punched once so she is not a completely perfect fighter (only fairly certain on this). If you can sense the thoughts of those you are fighting it is going to be the equivalent of precognition in any case anyways (unless falling ceiling fans are involved). How is it questionable whether she can read the Reavers? There was no point where this was implied. She could sense the reavers coming in Serenity just like she could with everyone else.

Now coming out unharmed with only melee weapons while others had ranged is easily explained by the fact that the reavers want to rape and cause pain and were avoiding using guns while fighting her (similar situation in the bar fight except that the participants wanted to avoid killing). Even with precognition it would be impossible to dodge high speed projectiles coming from a sufficient amount of directions (the reavers certainly had that advantage).

Out of Gas? Moments before the firestorm almost reached the diner section she said: "Fire". I don't think the fire has a mind on its own. Of course its possible that its not precognition but her senses are heightened instead but mind-reading doesn't explain this at all I think. The interesting part is that she felt it way before anyone else noticed it despite Mal and Zoe probably got used to constantly monitoring their surroundings during the war( and probably Shepherd Book as well) .

I forgot about his and it is very interesting to point out. This possibly changes my views on her abilities. There are three explanations I can think of. One just uses her confirmed powers. We know that she mentions in earlier episodes that some part is messed up and needs fixing (Kaylee confirms) and in "Out of Gas" this is the very part that causes the malfunction. This is a stretch but perhaps her hyper intelligence and or reading of Kaylee's mind were all that were needed to know when this would happen. The second explanation is that her psychic abilities involve sensing things in places where she should not. Then the third would be precognition of course.

Since the show ended early there is really no basis for a confident choice ,but based off of other situations in the movie and series I would rule out precognition although it is certainly possible. I say this because even in hyper kill mode she has made mistakes (brother getting shot in "Out of Gas" , getting punched in the bar fight ) which could have been avoided with precognition. Her abilities were already getting pretty far outreached with the reading of dead people so I doubt they would giver her precognition in addition. If she does indeed have precognition which I agree is certainly possible in addition to these other capabilities then a lucid River would certainly be one of the most powerful characters ever created in a SF series (at least for a character that is considered reasonably human).

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 00:39

Blazius Post # 22 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:29
Quote (KrelleK)
perhaps a little like the dead scream of Alderanian people(yes i know i should keep it in the verse)through the force as the dead pulverise the planet, but due to the fact this went so slowly, that the "mediclorian" is still there "transmiting" just notting to transmit

You read my mind biggrin . Voice, echo and such are common in describing such supernatural waves which sensitives can intercept. Its also common that great tragedies are very "loud" which is in line with Rivers reaction to the voices of Miranda. She acted if she heard a deafening voice which is almost unbearable to hear.

Quote (KrelleK)
It is indeed an interesting topic, and so is your thoughts about the deads presence

Thanks! Its good to hear from an original Wiki member. I used to read your posts and when I joined I hoped that I can be a part of the old circle but now with your return part of my wish is fulfilled.

Quote (KrelleK)
Is it possible that the dead somehowhas left an imprint on the place, due to the PAX forced them to calm down so much that they could not fight off the chemical induced lethargy, but they could feel what was happening to them, that each one died knowing what was killing him or her, but not able to move or speak or anything else.

Thats my opinion too. Obviously the things happened on miranda to River can't be explained by simple mind-reading abilities. The nature of the imprint or echo is still a bit curious. I wonder if its supernatural in origin or there is a scientific explanation.

Blazius Post # 23 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 00:55
Quote (FordStaff)
How is it questionable whether she can read the Reavers? There was no point where this was implied. She could sense the reavers coming in Serenity just like she could with everyone else.

She can sense them but not necessarily read them especially many in a combat situation and that precisely so she would be unharmed at the end of the fight. Remember that their presence almost drove her to madness earlier possibly even through the memories of the dead. I'd find it surprising that moments later she can read them seamlessly. At best she could learn to barricade her mind from their mad thoughts to be able to use her other powers.

Quote (FordStaff)
Since the show ended early there is really no basis for a confident choice ,but based off of other situations in the movie and series I would rule out precognition although it is certainly possible. I say this because even in hyper kill mode she has made mistakes (brother getting shot in "Out of Gas" , getting punched in the bar fight ) which could have been avoided with precognition. Her abilities were already getting pretty far outreached with the reading of dead people so I doubt they would giver her precognition in addition. If she does indeed have precognition which I agree is certainly possible in addition to these other capabilities then a lucid River would certainly be one of the most powerful characters ever created in a SF series.

The cancellation was a tragedy I agree. And of course we would never know for sure but I created this tread for mere speculation so we can come up with crazy ideas , argue and such just for fun. I'm glad the thread reached its goal.

Maybe precognition is a bit too much I agree at least for now. But as you said we don't know the full potential of her abilities. I'd say she uses only a small fraction of her abilities and she barely controls even that. An adult, completely sane River could be a virtually invincible god. I'd say precognition or not she is already extremely overpowered compared to most sci-fi characters.

termi-ninja-tor Post # 24 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 01:00
When I saw the movie, I thought River might have read the minds of the Reavers and of the Imperial legislative leaders who visited her in the Academy. Her memories of Miranda showed only dead people, which suggested that they were memories of others who had viewed the dead people or at least videos of these dead people.

The mental anguish of the dead people might have been transmitted to her by the Reavers, who were certainly anguished in there own right and would have been positioned to observe and absorb the anguish of the dying population.

An entirely different thought might be that the anguished thoughts of the dead people might be traveling at the speed of light away from Miranda, so they might still be felt by Summer on a distant planet.

Of course, the Miranda disaster happened ten (?) years earlier, years before River's sensory ability was enhanced at the Academy.

Message edited by termi-ninja-tor - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 01:01

FordStaff Post # 25 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 01:13
She can sense them but not necessarily read them especially many in a combat situation and that precisely so she would be unharmed at the end of the fight. Remember that their presence almost drove her to madness earlier possibly even through the memories of the dead. I'd find it surprising that moments later she can read them seamlessly. At best she could learn to barricade her mind from their mad thoughts to be able to use her other powers.

We have to remember that whenever reavers are around that there is pain and suffering whether in their memories or current activities so reading that would be plenty enough to drive River to madness from their presence (in fact she would see far more than the guy who literally mutilated himself from insanity in "Bushwacked" which would mean she has an extremely durable mind ).

She alternates between states of lucidity to insanity in varying degrees so that is all the explanation for how she could be scared in the fetal position one second and fighting reavers the next. Simon had said she can not mitigate her emotions and has to deal with them full force including fear. However the academy caused this for a reason which is presumably to produce the effect of perfect concentration shown in the Bar fight and Reaver fight.

Maybe precognition is a bit too much I agree at least for now. But as you said we don't know the full potential of her abilities. I'd say she uses only a small fraction of her abilities and she barely controls even that. An adult, completely sane River could be a virtually invincible god. I'd say precognition or not she is already extremely overpowered compared to most sci-fi characters.

I can see that they left the door open for precognition to fit it just seems that she would be invincible enough already with hyper intelligence, full psychic reading (perhaps of even dead people), and extreme fighting skills. I would not want to piss her off once she gains full lucidity. It is stated in the series that this will never fully occur, which would make sense because it does not seem like something that happened to her is something you can just jump back from ever. Not to mention it helps the writers to not have her turn into a complete Mary Sue although even with some improvements of her mental state she would already be approaching that mighty quick.

The cancellation was a tragedy I agree. And of course we would never know for sure but I created this tread for mere speculation so we can come up with crazy ideas , argue and such just for fun. I'm glad the thread reached its goal.

Can you read and respond about my speculation on her reading of the dead and the connection to the Hands of Blue activity in my first post of this thread. I would like to know what others think of that.

Blazius Post # 26 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 01:36
Quote (FordStaff)
We have to remember that whenever reavers are around that there is pain and suffering whether in their memories or current activities so reading that would be plenty enough to drive River to madness from their presence (in fact she would see far more than the guy who literally mutilated himself from insanity in "Bushwacked" which would mean she has an extremely durable mind ).

She alternates between states of lucidity to insanity in varying degrees so that is all the explanation for how she could be scared in the fetal position one second and fighting reavers the next. Simon had said she can not mitigate her emotions and has to deal with them full force including fear. However the academy caused this for a reason which is presumably to produce the effect of perfect concentration shown in the Bar fight and Reaver fight.

But thats exactly why I say she may have difficulties read them. I define reading here as if she is able to extract enough information from them to be able to predict their attacks. The horrible images and that their mind is a mess would make it extremely difficult even for her to see any meaningful.

If we compare thoughts to sounds and mind-reading capability as ears then the Reavers are acting if they made an extremely loud noise, an interference with their mere presence. They are aggressively transmitting their horrible thoughts to River, she has to make a great effort even to keep them out. I'd say even that was an extraordinary effort that she could stand up and fight them. But inviting their "sounds" to her mind and even reading their intentions? That seems a bit too much to me.

Quote (FordStaff)
Can you read and respond about my speculation on her reading of the dead and the connection to the Hands of Blue activity in my first post of this thread. I would like to know what others think of that.

I've never thought of this possibility but I think you have found a very likely and clever explanation why the hands of blue agents used such a gory method to kill the witnesses. Otherwise the scene would be just unneceseraly brutal and would make no sense. I agree with you perfectly. Besides I would have liked a duel between River and them in Serenity, that was the only thing I really missed from the movie.

FordStaff Post # 27 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 01:53
But thats exactly why I say she may have difficulties read them. I define reading here as if she is able to extract enough information from them to be able to predict their attacks. The horrible images and that their mind is a mess would make it extremely difficult even for her to see any meaningful.

If we compare thoughts to sounds and mind-reading capability as ears then the Reavers are acting if they made an extremely loud noise, an interference with their mere presence. They are aggressively transmitting their horrible thoughts to River, she has to make a great effort even to keep them out. I'd say even that was an extraordinary effort that she could stand up and fight them. But inviting their "sounds" to her mind and even reading their intentions? That seems a bit too much to me.

She has difficulties doing just about anything at many times though it is not just reavers due to her varying mental states. I agree that in normal mode reading the reavers would be impossible for her to handle, but it was demonstrated in "Objects in Space" and the Bar Fight that she has different versions of the way she perceives reality. One of those is the concentration mode where she can accomplish almost anything and this is the mode that allowed her to read the reavers for their moves while not being distracted by the other horrible things in their minds. At least this is how I interpret the events.

I've never thought of this possibility but I think you have found a very likely and clever explanation why the hands of blue agents used such a gory method to kill the witnesses. Otherwise the scene would be just unneceseraly brutal and would make no sense. I agree with you perfectly. Besides I would have liked a duel between River and them in Serenity, that was the only thing I really missed from the movie.

I am glad they did not include them in the movie because they would not have had the proper explanation that they needed in the short time that the movie had. Not to mention the operative is completely awesome and adds the sort of philosophical punch the series was gonna bring out (and he was a great foil to Malcolm Reynolds). Not to mention leaving them out leaves some things open for later interpretation and outcasts (and if god allows continuation of the series).

It is clear that out of everything Blue Sun and the Hands of Blue were the most mysterious in the series and the Alliance would only be a front for a couple seasons (according to Joss Whedon the movie covers what would be covered in the second season so the alliance would be first and second season). In my mind if there was continuation the Alliance would distance itself from the Blue Sun corporation or outright become antagonistic towards it to avoid backlash from the population from the Miranda incident. River's character would no longer be important to the alliance because the damage was done and the Blue Sun would fully become her new pursuer (well it would still be the hands of blue just without alliance assistance). The dynamics here definitely deserved more seasons after the movie to explore. I have a feeling the Blue Sun Corporation would have far more capabilities than shown thus far.

Blazius Post # 28 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 02:18
Quote (FordStaff)
I am glad they did not include them in the movie because they would not have had the proper explanation that they needed in the short time that the movie had. Not to mention the operative is completely awesome and adds the sort of philosophical punch the series was gonna bring out (and he was a great foil to Malcolm Reynolds). Not to mention leaving them out leaves some things open for later interpretation and outcasts (and if god allows continuation of the series).

Maybe, but I just don't like that we have left them where they are completely unexplained. It wouldn't be a problem if we indeed got a continuation but honestly I don't think it will happen. Same for TSCC BTW but thats off-topic.

Quote (FordStaff)
It is clear that out of everything Blue Sun and the Hands of Blue were the most mysterious in the series and the Alliance would only be a front for a couple seasons (according to Joss Whedon the movie covers what would be covered in the second season so the alliance would be first and second season). In my mind if there was continuation the Alliance would distance itself from the Blue Sun corporation or outright become antagonistic towards it to avoid backlash from the population from the Miranda incident. River's character would no longer be important to the alliance because the damage was done and the Blue Sun would fully become her new pursuer (well it would still be the hands of blue just without alliance assistance). The dynamics here definitely deserved more seasons after the movie to explore. I have a feeling the Blue Sun Corporation would have far more capabilities than shown thus far.

I had the feeling too that the Blue Suns are more like a third party than fully Alliance. I imagine they would eventually go too far even for the Alliance and then the Alliance wants to shut them down but they gain the upper hand( maybe mind-controlling the whole government ?). Then River goes in and destroys them all becoming God-empress of the galaxy biggrin

BTW why would the Alliance turn on the Blue Suns for the Miranda incident?

Was it caused by the Alliance or the Suns? I don't remember this honestly I haven't seen the movie in a long time ago but I remember that River learned Miranda from the minds of hight ranking Alliance officials.

FordStaff Post # 29 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 02:35
BTW why would the Alliance turn on the Blue Suns for the Miranda incident?

Was it caused by the Alliance or the Suns? I don't remember this honestly I haven't seen the movie in a long time ago but I remember that River learned Miranda from the minds of hight ranking Alliance officials.

It is not stated in the movie that the Pax was developed by the Blue Sun, but I think that it is a somewhat justified assumption considering that the Pax is a drug that manipulates the mind (the exact type of thing Blue Sun was doing in accordance with the Alliance in the Academy). Clearly Blue Sun specializes in mind manipulation even the Blue Gloves have mind fryer device.

It is true based off the movie alone that the Pax could have been developed purely by the Alliance, and it is definitely true that the Alliance oversaw its use at Miranda even if they did not develop it. Lets assume the Alliance did not contract the Blue Sun in any way for the Pax project. Even with this true the Blue Sun would be a good scape goat because they could reveal their reprehensible acts (Academy) in addition to claiming that they developed the Pax whether they did or not (I believe they did even if the creators say otherwise just because it fits so well).

In my mind after the message goes out a new governmental body is voted in due to outrage. This new body would want to distance itself from the previous administration by offering up something to the public about what happened. Who better to throw under the bus than the Blue Sun Corporation, a separate entity from the Alliance (therefore saving as much face for confidence in goverment as possible).

Maybe, but I just don't like that we have left them where they are completely unexplained. It wouldn't be a problem if we indeed got a continuation but honestly I don't think it will happen.

Browncoats can dream can't we? I consider myself lucky to have gotten just Serenity. Better they solve some of the plot points well than try to solve them all poorly.

I had the feeling too that the Blue Suns are more like a third party than fully Alliance. I imagine they would eventually go too far even for the Alliance and then the Alliance wants to shut them down but they gain the upper hand( maybe mind-controlling the whole government ?). Then River goes in and destroys them all becoming God-empress of the galaxy biggrin

This is precisely what I think the general direction the series would have gone. Except for the mind controlling the whole goverment that seems a little extreme. More likely Blue Sun would have very powerful connections all over the place already and need little mind control manipulation.

Message edited by FordStaff - Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011, 02:38

Blazius Post # 30 | Wednesday, 19 Oct 2011 - 03:01
Quote (FordStaff)
It is true based off the movie alone that the Pax could have been developed purely by the Alliance, and it is definitely true that the Alliance oversaw its use at Miranda even if they did not develop it. Lets assume the Alliance did not contract the Blue Sun in any way for the Pax project. Even with this true the Blue Sun would be a good scape goat because they could reveal their reprehensible acts (Academy) in addition to claiming that they developed the Pax whether they did or not (I believe they did even if the creators say otherwise just because it fits so well).

In my mind after the message goes out a new governmental body is voted in due to outrage. This new body would want to distance itself from the previous administration by offering up something to the public about what happened. Who better to throw under the bus than the Blue Sun Corporation, a separate entity from the Alliance (therefore saving as much face for confidence in goverment as possible).

Thats a very likely scenario too. I imagine the Alliance would like to frame somebody and the Suns are perfect candidates. The population would believe it completely negating Mals "victory". Then the Suns would try to retaliate with some kind of clever plan. I think the Alliance would fall to the hands of the Suns because they must be the main enemies of River and the crew in the end of the series.

Quote (FordStaff)
This is precisely what I think the general direction the series would have gone. Except for the mind controlling the whole goverment that seems a little extreme. More likely Blue Sun would have very powerful connections all over the place already and need little mind control manipulation.

Okay the mind-controlling is a bit too much. I just wanted to imply that the Suns would destroy the Alliance or claim it for themselves with some kind of evil plan.

BTW if you saw Babylon 5 then the Earth Alliance and the Psi Corps are a good analogy to the Alliance and the Blue Suns respectively. Their relationship is roughly the same and I think in one of the books the Corps is trying too to usurp the Earth Alliance.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Filmography » Firefly/Serenity » River Tam, a mind-reader or more?
Search: