menu
person
Welcome to summer-glau.com, your fan source for all things Summer on the web. Browse around the site and visit our growing GALLERY housing over 65,000 photos. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to visit the site again!
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Please introduce yourself (Greetings new members)
Please introduce yourself
Nomad79 Post # 46 | Monday, 05 Sep 2011 - 17:49
Group: Friends
Okay, thanks. I'll get to work on it.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 47 | Friday, 09 Sep 2011 - 00:17
Group: Administrators
Bump!

As i always say to new members, leaving a simple "Thank you" for an image or a video is a simple way to express yourself and is very appreciated; also don't be shy if you don't master perfectly the English language...i don't myself biggrin

You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr or Youtube

Message edited by michelangelo - Friday, 09 Sep 2011, 00:20

reiver Post # 48 | Friday, 09 Sep 2011 - 11:49
GREETINGS FROM GREECE...
Hi everyone,
my name is chris....!!!
I'm a fan of summer like all of you ...i first saw her in the movie firefly playing river tam and i was very impressed...
since then i dont miss movie/series which cast and i dont see it!!!!
sorry for my english(lol)...!!!

i'm blind not deaf - IllidaN

chrisdvanne_ Post # 49 | Friday, 09 Sep 2011 - 12:03
Hi reiver, i see you got my message wink

Welcome on the Summer Glau Wiki! Take the time to search the threads, even the old ones and add a comment if you like.
Don't hesitate to say if you'd like to find something in the Wiki : Nomad79 did it and i created a thread about his fanfiction about Skylar for everyone to see.

Don't worry about your English..and it will improve while you start writing.

reiver Post # 50 | Friday, 09 Sep 2011 - 15:09
thank you for the welcome smile

we have any news about upcoming new projects(movies or series) with summer?

i'm blind not deaf - IllidaN

Fermi Post # 51 | Friday, 09 Sep 2011 - 17:22
Quote (reiver)
thank you for the welcome smile

Welcome to the wiki of awesomeness reiver

Quote (reiver)

we have any news about upcoming new projects(movies or series) with summer?

No it has been very quiet on the news front

You can't stop the signal!

FordStaff Post # 52 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 05:33
Hello everyone I am a 19 year old male currently in college. Live in the United States, more specifically the state of Texas (don't judge its where Summer is from after all).

I first saw Summer in T:TSCC however since I was in High School at the time, I could not control when I could watch television and missed the second season. While I thought she was a good actor and it was a good show it just did not have my full attention so it was forgotten. Recently this month however I started watching television through Hulu to catch up on a bunch of shows (with a student email I get free month of the plus subscription).

Firefly is one of the shows that was under suggestions and I had heard of it even from within currently running shows that I have been watching (namely Community and The Big Bang Theory) which I found odd for a ten year old one season show. Recognized Nathan Fillion from Castle (the only thing making that show watchable in my opinion) and Summer in the picture of the cast so decided to give it a try. Was a new recruit for the Brown-coats within the first ten minutes of the original pilot, even with my skepticism towards a SF Western. While the entire cast is really damn good in Firefly and Serenity (except for perhaps Morena Baccarin), Summer Glau was particularly fantastic and it is no coincidence that my favorite episodes overall were fairly River/Simon centric.

I will definitely be giving T:TSCC a second try now when I get the chance. For that matter anything casting Summer will get a try by me. She gets my support because unlike some actors *cough* Olivia Wilde *cough* she gets by with talent rather than looks even when that would be quite easy for her. It is depressing that she does not get the recognition she deserves while it goes to inferior actors *cough* Olivia Wilde *cough*. As if it was not bad enough unlike the majority of humankind she is probably a genuinely nice person.

Keep Flying - Not much, but it's enough.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 53 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 07:09
Hi FordStaff and welcome to the Summer Glau Wiki!

I was glad to see that not all of us are 'old' TSCC fans because your experience proves new fans of Summer Glau are showing; this is very encouraging for Summer herself (and for the SG Wiki additionally).

As you mentioned on another thread, we are trying to build a frienfly community around Summer Glau's work and personality; it seems to me you have understood the essence of both of them and i hope that will be the start of many rewarding discussions in the future.

Don't hesitate to search through the previous threads to find some that could match your interest and bring your contribution on them.

FordStaff Post # 54 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 07:52
Even us youngsters can appreciate talent and quality above superficial aspects not that there is any lacking there (although I have a feeling I am in the vast minority in my age group and probably even outside of it). Summer's shows have encouraged me to branch out. With both her main SF shows I was not all that drawn in by the superficial concepts. By this I mean that I did not particularly like the terminator movies (I hope this is not blasphemy here) and a SF Western just sounded ridiculous. Yet both were really good shows (although still need to finish T:TSCC).

I would not be expecting to many more new and young Summer Glau fans besides a slight stream at this point or you will likely be sorely disappointed. Her shows are too cult and non-mainstream at this point for much increase. At least until she hits it big and then we can be the ones that were fans beforehand. Wont that be a great day. Then again the draw back will be that many of the new influx once mainstream will not be true fans who actually care about her career or talents. Sorry if I am being a bit pessimistic just depressed from finishing firefly and serenity sad . I am dead serious when I say that it makes me sick to my stomach that they cancelled that show, no joke. It was right up my alley from an angle I never expected.

Unfortunately it may be the same case for T:TSCC, but I will brave it anyways. If T:TSCC becomes one of my favorite shows on re-watching that will mean the Fox cancelled three of my favorite shows of all time - the others being firefly and arrested development (thank god for another season and a movie). I pray to god that Fox never gets its blue hands on a good show ever again.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 55 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:03
Quote (FordStaff)
I would not be expecting to many more new and young Summer Glau fans besides a slight stream at this point or you will likely be sorely disappointed.

sad

Seriously, i'm pretty amazed by such maturity in your reasoning; took me years to understand a few things about US medias (though i have the excuse of not being american).
I was answering your post in another thread when i saw your response here and couldn't help but leaving a message.

FordStaff Post # 56 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:17
Yes it is the tragedy of humanity that Sturgeon's Law is all encompassing.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki....tinj4tz (this is not serious but thought i should link it)

In short 90% of everything is crud including people, although I have a feeling the percentage may be a bit higher than that. Most people could care less about talent or originality and would rather stick with the status quo. It is quite sickening.

On a side note I have noticed that there are very few Americans from what I can tell in the forums. How is that so many non-Americans are Summer Glau fans?

Message edited by FordStaff - Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 08:21

chrisdvanne_ Post # 57 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:43
Quote (FordStaff)
How is that so many non-Americans are Summer Glau fans?

How is it that the most successfull shows in USA are sitcoms and reality tv shows? I think this is the answer.

Seriously, i don't mean it because that's the same in every country, not just in the USA.

I think the fact Summer has not played in the mainstream category could explain this partially; NCIS or Two and Half Men are hits but have a relatively small presence online. Not to mention that the Summer Glau Wiki is a growing but still recent community and fans have already their habits when it comes to fansites. Though it seems our community has gained popularity recently but that means i will have to think and type faster in english (the truth is i have a tab in my browser opened to an online dictionnary).

FordStaff Post # 58 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 08:52
So is what your saying that Science Fiction has far more presence online and translates better across countries than other mainstream genres of television? Technology is not my thing nor is knowledge of internet or foreign communities so if the answer and explanation is self-explanatory to most on this site it is not so for me.

chrisdvanne_ Post # 59 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 09:17
Honestly i don't think i have a satisfying explanation to give; but the Summer Glau Wiki has still a small number of members (even if growing) and an even smaller number of active members (those like you and me who posts messages) so that the nationality of the posters don't mean that much statistically, i think it's more about individuals. The fact that i'm French or that Blazius is Hungarian is not that relevant.

I observe the summer Glau Wiki has increased it's members by 80% in the last few months and a majority of them are old fans who were attracted by what the Summer Glau Wiki can offer for a fan, not just reading news from summer.

That said, more of 60% of our viewers are Anglo Saxon, British and American ( i have extracted for you the datas of the unique visitors sorted by country for this month); i have no doubt it will reflect in the forum on the long term.

Side note : the same proportion of non english members can be found in other Summer/TSCC fansites i know (maybe not in the browncoats forum though).

Message edited by michelangelo - Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011, 09:20

FordStaff Post # 60 | Tuesday, 18 Oct 2011 - 09:21
Alright. It is still just surprising to me that there are French and Hungarian fans of Summer even if there are not that many.

Summer-Glau.com Forum » Off Topic » The Water Cooler » Please introduce yourself (Greetings new members)
Search: